SAIA | Should I

steercrazee

TB Veteran
Credits
Thinking of putting in application at Knoxville. I have been driving a class b tanker for 13 years before that i drove o.t.r for 3. I have a class a with all the indorsments. One of the 3 o.t.r was with O.D. Got at of o.t.r to raise my kid. My kid is now grown and id like to get back into trucking. Do i even have a chance?

Thinking of putting in application at Knoxville. I have been driving a class b tanker for 13 years before that i drove o.t.r for 3. I have a class a with all the indorsments. One of the 3 o.t.r was with O.D. Got at of o.t.r to raise my kid. My kid is now grown and id like to get back into trucking. Do i even have a chance?
You’ve nothing to lose by applying.

SAIA is great company and pays very well. They do have driver facing cameras but you get accustomed to them. Just follow the rules and don’t mention the union and you could have a long prosperous career. Go for it! Like White said .. you have nothing to lose.

SAIA is great company and pays very well. They do have driver facing cameras but you get accustomed to them. Just follow the rules and don’t mention the union and you could have a long prosperous career. Go for it! Like White said .. you have nothing to lose.
A good driver should not be worried about a camera. Whether it's a forward or driver facing..... I look at it as it's there for my protection from other idiots.

We are supposed to be professionals.

Thanks for the replies. I will put in an application this weekend. I hope to be able to get on board, but if not i will not give up.

:crybaby:

Get use to it...... the insurance companies are mandating them.

If the accident is not your fault what is the problem.
Don’t need no camera facin inside to figger that out. Can do that just fine with one facin out.

Maybe dumbass millenials can’t but some of us can handle our jobs without bein watched and got safe drivin awards to prove it.

“But Mithter Blade, that’s unpothable. Howdya drive without no camera up yer butt??”

I don’t need cattleprods to not wreck the truck. Whoever does oughta replaced without punishin the rest of us.

Hell, I even yap on the CB all day long in mine. OH MY GOD!!! OH THE HUMANITY!!! OH THE POLITICAL INCORRECTNESS!!!

Last edited:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. We get it, heard it all before. The next time the SAIA clock is swinging in your face, just blink and you can break that trance. Probably thought it was a good idea to give us suckers on lollipop day that said said take care of each other too. :smilie93c peelout:

Clean driving record and no accidents and they will probably hire you on the spot. I work out of Jcy which is 95 miles east and we are so busy we can’t hardly get a day off

Insurance companies are not mandating them. The driver facing cam is a double edged sword. It can prove a company's driver is at fault in an otherwise questionable situation . Several of the Mega Carriers that were using driver facing cams have disabled them. Werner and USA Truck were the ones I've heard. Forward facing still operable however.

Insurance companies are not mandating them. The driver facing cam is a double edged sword. It can prove a company's driver is at fault in an otherwise questionable situation . Several of the Mega Carriers that were using driver facing cams have disabled them. Werner and USA Truck were the ones I've heard. Forward facing still operable however.
It is a double edged sword but whether you want to admit it or not the cameras do make you more aware of safety. Many want to say that they are professionals and don’t need to be watched and perhaps that may be true for a few. But many guys become overconfident and perhaps a bit arrogant and for those the cameras help keep them honest. The cameras help you maintain a safety mindset when you know you could be caught with some unsafe practices that could cost you your job.

Insurance companies are not mandating them.
Not yet but just give them time. The improved safety numbers that are starting to be produced will make all LTL companies go to them. Accidents are down and the numbers don’t lie. I hated the cameras at first but I adapted to them and they did make me more safety conscious. It’s just human nature when you know you’re possibly being watched. I was always a safe driver but these cameras helped me step it up to the next level. Especially when you’ve been coached a time or two. They helped me from becoming complacent and instilled a bit of humility. Arrogance and a know it all attitude leads you down a road of complacency and that’s a recipe for a disaster.

Last edited:
They are coming and it’s not going to stop. Telematics is the new wave of things to come and it’s not just for behavioral coaching. Saia is using Vnomics for fuel consumption, idling, geofencing, traffic law enforcement, etc..
Most of your Daimler/Freightliner units are going to come with their Virtual Tech in them which is a partnership with Zonar which is another Telematics company that could replace Vnomics. Eventually they’ll all tie together.
New for next year is the Lytx/Drivecam SF64 model that runs an internal 50 hour loop recording inside and out that the company can download at any time. It still only sends the short clip for events, but stores the rest for 50 hours on the camera that just overwrites. They are also improving the rolling stop detection in the cameras and yes, with the right permission levels you can activate the camera at any time.
All of these companies, including the Union companies, that say it’ll never happen to them, well, hate to tell you, your sorely mistaken. 3-5 years from now you’ll probably see it federally mandated. Ever hear of SmartCity initiatives???

They are coming and it’s not going to stop. Telematics is the new wave of things to come and it’s not just for behavioral coaching. Saia is using Vnomics for fuel consumption, idling, geofencing, traffic law enforcement, etc..
Most of your Daimler/Freightliner units are going to come with their Virtual Tech in them which is a partnership with Zonar which is another Telematics company that could replace Vnomics. Eventually they’ll all tie together.
New for next year is the Lytx/Drivecam SF64 model that runs an internal 50 hour loop recording inside and out that the company can download at any time. It still only sends the short clip for events, but stores the rest for 50 hours on the camera that just overwrites. They are also improving the rolling stop detection in the cameras and yes, with the right permission levels you can activate the camera at any time.
All of these companies, including the Union companies, that say it’ll never happen to them, well, hate to tell you, your sorely mistaken. 3-5 years from now you’ll probably see it federally mandated. Ever hear of SmartCity initiatives???
Damn, I got out just in time. Can’t wait for hunting season here in East Texas. A little hot for fishing now so I’m just chilling in the pool with a cold one.

It is a double edged sword but whether you want to admit it or not the cameras do make you more aware of safety. Many want to say that they are professionals and don’t need to be watched and perhaps that may be true for a few. But many guys become overconfident and perhaps a bit arrogant and for those the cameras help keep them honest. The cameras help you maintain a safety mindset when you know you could be caught with some unsafe practices that could cost you your job.
If you needed a camera to make you more aware, you were doing something wrong in the first place. Character is what you do when you know no one is watching. Arrogance and complacency have nothing to do with it.

If you needed a camera to make you more aware, you were doing something wrong in the first place. Character is what you do when you know no one is watching. Arrogance and complacency have nothing to do with it.
You’re a prime example of why cameras are needed Mr. Perfect or perhaps it should be Mr. Know it All. Complacency has everything to do with it and now you’re just letting your arrogance show through. What the **** ever! You know nothing about human nature and the multiple studies that have been completed on this safety related issue. You’re just another close minded Know it All.

Last edited:

kz3O7io.jpg

Try being more original next time Mr. Know it All!