ABF | Sign On Bonuses

iam4us

TB Regular
Credits
I am hearing ABF is giving sign on bonuses of 6000.00 to new drivers, Stay on 2 years or pay back. Seems to me we should be given a bonus as well. Can we file on this?

I am hearing ABF is giving sign on bonuses of 6000.00 to new drivers, Stay on 2 years or pay back. Seems to me we should be given a bonus as well. Can we file on this?
You can file on it but you won’t win. YRC has been doing it for years and so has ABF. Has been filed on multiple times in major halls including 710 and 41

Casuals too? Heck... I may have to come out of retirement!!

I'd come out of retirement for a $7500 bonus I don't have to re-pay!

Unfortunately,....in a ..."pre-emptive strike".....ABF management has informed me that I would have to give THEM a Bonus,....before they allowed me back....
Price has not been determined yet.........

Unfortunately,....in a ..."pre-emptive strike".....ABF management has informed me that I would have to give THEM a Bonus,....before they allowed me back....
Just a rumor, but I have been told by someone @ the Fort that the bonus amount you would have to pay is larger than the National Debit. von. PS No way I could leave that one alone.

i talked to a new hire 2 days ago. he was given 6,000,,, 3800 after taxes.. Seems odd to me that all contractual employees dont fall under the same compensation rules.. So if abf hits its operating numbers, we get bonus, they can give bonuses to some, not others? Where in the contract does it say anything about bonus pay? I think this could be an issue but am convinced it was "negotiated" for something none of us will benefit from.

I wouldn't come out of retirement to see The Statue Of Liberty pee over the Brooklyn Bridge!

i talked to a new hire 2 days ago. he was given 6,000,,, 3800 after taxes.. Seems odd to me that all contractual employees dont fall under the same compensation rules.. So if abf hits its operating numbers, we get bonus, they can give bonuses to some, not others? Where in the contract does it say anything about bonus pay? I think this could be an issue but am convinced it was "negotiated" for something none of us will benefit from.

The thing about new-hires is that when ABF makes a offer of employment,......they are not under contract as they haven’t fulfilled contractual time limits for seniority. Therefore,.....as they technically aren’t quite employees.........under contract,......ABF can offer them anything/nothing/something on an individual basis,.....as kind of like a “pre-agreement”.
The minute the new-hire becomes an employee,......casual, full-time, on-call.......then ABF must apply all compensation unilaterally,.......to everyone.
This is why you don’t see ABF offer existing casuals sign-on bonuses. That offer could be grieved to be retroactively applied to all employees. The casuals have been “hired” and are now under contractual rules.

Personally, I think the problems with hiring are self-created by management. Outdated casual rules with no benefits,.......pension plans under attack......cut-rate pay packages while increasing management bonuses......
None of these things make a carrier more.......”attractive “ .....than their non-Union competitors,......who can fluctuate pay and benefits at a moment’s notice to reflect driver availability........

(And lower it when it behooves them in the event technology makes some drivers redundant....)

The thing about new-hires is that when ABF makes a offer of employment,......they are not under contract as they haven’t fulfilled contractual time limits for seniority. Therefore,.....as they technically aren’t quite employees.........under contract,......ABF can offer them anything/nothing/something on an individual basis,.....as kind of like a “pre-agreement”.
The minute the new-hire becomes an employee,......casual, full-time, on-call.......then ABF must apply all compensation unilaterally,.......to everyone.
This is why you don’t see ABF offer existing casuals sign-on bonuses. That offer could be grieved to be retroactively applied to all employees. The casuals have been “hired” and are now under contractual rules.

Personally, I think the problems with hiring are self-created by management. Outdated casual rules with no benefits,.......pension plans under attack......cut-rate pay packages while increasing management bonuses......
None of these things make a carrier more.......”attractive “ .....than their non-Union competitors,......who can fluctuate pay and benefits at a moment’s notice to reflect driver availability........

(And lower it when it behooves them in the event technology makes some drivers redundant....)

The sad thing to remember canary is that seniority employees voted to throw casuals under the bus and leave them without benefits. Bugs me that someone gets to vote on something that doesn't affect them in the least. I'm sure you know that casuals years ago were paid the same, and if they worked the required days, got the same benefits as seniority employees.

The sad thing to remember canary is that seniority employees voted to throw casuals under the bus and leave them without benefits. Bugs me that someone gets to vote on something that doesn't affect them in the least. I'm sure you know that casuals years ago were paid the same, and if they worked the required days, got the same benefits as seniority employees.

At one time part-timers were paid a little more because they didn't have benefits.
Not sure if that applied to casuals.

At one time part-timers were paid a little more because they didn't have benefits.
Not sure if that applied to casuals.

Yes,........the companies knew what they were doing when they proposed a two-tier system. Created decades of animosity,...and could be an underlying reason why some of the rank-and-file regard their elected leaders as the.."enemy".....

I started in '75.......Thirty days and you're on seniority/benefits. Same pay,.....No wage progression. Daily stipend paid to pension plan for any day worked as a casual. An extra 50 cents an hour as a casual because you didn't get benefits......

The Idea was.....A Union Employee is a Union Employee........If you paid dues, there was no..."rank"....no "wage" progression. A ten year Union member getting hired at a company was regarded as JUST as experienced as any two year member who was an existing employee. And you did the same work......
The companies who pushed for........wage progression,...tiered compensation,......were getting experienced employees at a discount,.....And NO Training, to boot!

Yes,.......We Teamsters voted for these things,......that were HEAVILY promoted by the companies. The usual threat: "If we don't get these things, we'll have to.....CLOSE the Doors!..."
And guys fell for it,........Of course, if you were on seniority,...it didn't affect you.....But, it did affect the BASIC Union philosophy of: "An Injury To One Is An Injury To All!"...
....which was the companies' real target........to destroy the rank-and-file's belief in bedrock Union principles.

Once again,.....the Pogo Principle: "We Have Met The Enemy, And He Is Us!".......Short-term gain for long-term Union destruction.....

Alot of that post is true....but....if there were more union companies around you could float from company to company to get your benefits, kind of hard to do that now....last time I looked guys voted on the whole contract not just parts of it, if it was desirable then they would vote yes if not vote no.....not to get political here at all but isn't that what we do when we vote for a president? I know I don't agree with any candidate on every issue so I pick the one who best represents my views....

Alot of that post is true....but....if there were more union companies around you could float from company to company to get your benefits, kind of hard to do that now....last time I looked guys voted on the whole contract not just parts of it, if it was desirable then they would vote yes if not vote no.....not to get political here at all but isn't that what we do when we vote for a president? I know I don't agree with any candidate on every issue so I pick the one who best represents my views....

The part I resent is that people who are not affected get to vote on something that affects people who don't have a vote. It's one thing to vote on something which affects the person voting, but another to vote on something which doesn't affect the voter.

Interesting subject. I started in 1969 and as far back as I can recall I voted the way my local wanted. I vaguely remember when we voted in the wage tiered system. I think it was to help the company compete with the non unions. It made sense at the time. But it came back to bite me on the ass in 2004 when Red Star shut down due to Hoffa's 1 day strike.

I got hired as a casual at ABF. I had to work 70 days as a casual and then 30 on probation. I think it took 3 years to make top scale. 35 years in the business and I was paid the same as a kid that ABF sent to driving school. I didn't complain because I was happy to finish out my career on a union job. What goes around comes around.