Simple Assault?

foster1662

TB Lurker
Credits
Teamster on Oak Harbor Freight Lines Picket Line Hit by Truck Driven by Replacement Worker
Police Charge Driver With Assault; Teamster Unhurt
October 2, 2008
(Pasco, Washington) – A Teamster business agent was hit today by a truck driven by a replacement worker as she was picketing legally in support of striking Oak Harbor Freight Lines’ trucking employees in Pasco. Police have charged the driver with assault.

Oak Harbor employees in the Northwest walked off the job Sept. 22 in response to hostile efforts by company representatives to bully and intimidate workers, which are unfair labor practices in violation of federal law. The Teamsters are picketing Oak Harbor Freight Lines’ trucks in California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon and Idaho.

Eydie Dean, a business agent for Local 117 in Tukwila, was walking the picket line when a truck driven by a replacement worker pulled into the Oak Harbor Freight facility in Pasco. Teamster officials are concerned about numerous safety issues surrounding replacement drivers. Some of the incidents have been captured on video and posted on YouTube. Links to the videos are provided below.

“I was standing on the picket line with my sign way up high and the driver could see it,” Dean said. “He pulled forward and I said stop and he just laughed and kept going, pushing me about three feet.”

A security guard then came out and told the driver that Dean and other picketers had a right to be on the property, Dean added. The police were called and the driver was cited with simple assault, according to a police report filed by the Pasco Police Department.

Dean said she was unhurt, but shaken, saying that nothing like this has ever happened to her before on a picket line. Dean left the picket line to go to a private luncheon being held today for Gov. Christine Gregoire, where she planned to let the governor know what had happened.

This is just the latest incident of unsafe driving practices by replacement drivers.

“Our guys have actually videotaped safety violations and the safety issues are immense,” said Tom Strickland, Secretary-Treasurer of Local 81 in Portland, Oregon. “You see people driving with the back doors open, swerving into traffic, blocking traffic.”

In Washington State, there have been incidents where replacement drivers have been seen driving while talking on their cell phones; overweight violations; and several incidents of drivers damaging property, said Rick Hicks, Secretary-Treasurer of Local 174 in Tukwila.

“We are concerned that the public’s safety is at risk,” Hicks said.
The National Labor Relations Board is investigating several labor law violations committed by the company, including coercing and threatening employees, as well as making unlawful changes to working conditions.
Oak Harbor Freight Lines, one of the largest trucking companies on the West Coast, provide time sensitive delivery services to some of the largest companies in the country including The Gap, Safeway, JC Penney, Sylvania, Graybar Electric, HD Waterworks, Honda, McKesson, Cardinal Health, Tec Equipment, Siemens, Georgia Pacific, Owens & Minor, GM & Chrysler Parts, Urban Outfitters and Maytag.

Founded in 1903, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents more than 1.4 million hardworking men and women in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.

Here are the links to the YouTube videos:

YouTube - unsafe oakharbor *****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi_lQdrFS_

YouTube - Unsafe replacement worker

YouTube - Truck driving with the trailer door open

I tend not to favor the Teamsters' effort. <--disclaimer
That driver needs to be flogged, publicly. I can't believe that someone, whatever he(she) believes would do something like that. He certainly should not be in an Oak Harbor truck.

I would like to mention that the s-word, as I understand it, is not allowed in these boards. Be aware that these videos will have the s-word all over them. Just a word of warning to anyone that may be offended. I don't know if it is against policy to link to a page that includes content that is not allowed here.

One of the links is dead (malformed.)
Many of the videos need commentary since the video quality is poor and it is difficult to discern what the driver is doing wrong.
Wasn't that a UPS trailer?

my question on this event is, was this person holding the sign in the driveway where the truck pulls into the terminal? is that an accepted place for the picket line if that is where she was standing? the speed of the truck is not mentioned so the replacement could have been going faster than is safe. If there is a safty issue with the drivers as stated why would she allow the truck to come that close to her unless the truck was moving fast?

I would like to mention that the s-word, as I understand it, is not allowed in these boards. Be aware that these videos will have the s-word all over them. Just a word of warning to anyone that may be offended. I don't know if it is against policy to link to a page that includes content that is not allowed here.

One of the links is dead (malformed.)
Many of the videos need commentary since the video quality is poor and it is difficult to discern what the driver is doing wrong.
Wasn't that a UPS trailer?

Those are links to misc videos, the incident listed in the news was unfortunately not caught on our cameras......maybe on OAKH's security cams.

here in portland the police said we can't be in the driveway when a truck is coming.

We were originally told by the Auburn Police department that we could detain each vehicle for up to 3 minutes which we were doing, then they came back and said that we can't so the Teamster lawyers are looking into it for now.

Oak Harbor Picketers: &quot;Scabs Hit Us&quot; | KEPR CBS 19 - News, Weather and Sports - Pasco, WA - Pasco, Washington | News

Another picketer hit on the line! So does the company think, ok we can't beat the Teamsters lets just hit them. Maybe if we hit a few of them off the line there won't be as many! There are more Teamsters as well as others supporting OHFL strikers than the company has &quot;replacement drivers&quot; <-----(biting my tongue) or trucks! We all want to see the security video!! The company says that isn't what happened so lets see it!

"Full Steam"

The Pasco news quotes the company as &quot;working at full steam with replacement workers.&quot; :hysterical:

They obviously aren't comparing themselves to a locomotive....maybe a bathhouse, like the office at the Auburn shop....:wink1::wink1:

the company has emailed all of us customers to let us know that they are back at full capacity and that the strike is over. I have know idea why you guys are still walking around carrying signs. lol lol lol lol lol

The Pasco news quotes the company as &quot;working at full steam with replacement workers.&quot; :hysterical:

They obviously aren't comparing themselves to a locomotive....maybe a bathhouse, like the office at the Auburn shop....:wink1::wink1:

The Pasco reporter at the beginning of the broadcast also uses &quot;THAT WORD&quot; instead of the term replacement workers. lol I guess the news calls it the way they see it as well. :hysterical:

The Pasco reporter at the beginning of the broadcast also uses &quot;THAT WORD&quot; instead of the term replacement workers. lol I guess the news calls it the way they see it as well. :hysterical:

Does the news media have a reputation for having any morality at all? Personally, I have gotten to where I pay no attention to what comes out of the media. If you want them to be an example for you to follow, you may find that you also will be ignored. At least by anyone with any sense.

It's funny I notice on Market Watch they also use that word in their stories. I don't understand why the owner of this board sees it necessary to protect this demographic. I have been called a ******, stupid, among other things, and I have called people things that seem more derogatory to me. Their is another board out there that is more friendly to our causes, I am sure it wouldn't be appropriate for me to post the web address here, but I am sure you can find it.

It is just so wrong what this company is doing here, I swear if I were in the owners shoes I could not sleep at night over this. I hope they either see the light through force or go out of business, I can only hope that they will endure major financial hardships as a result. I think they are having a lot more trouble than they initially anticipated hiring permanent replacements so they can ship out the union busting outfit, that I am sure costs them like crazy.

A proper use of the word 'there' and proper punctuation may assist you in being called something other than what you listed. I should not need to reiterate what I said about the press. Most poeple are aware that they do not have any scruples. I would like to think that people representing Teamsters would have higher standards.
It's not very becoming to seek vengence and associate yourself with Teamsters. It gives a bad impression of the organization.
Just trying to help.

A proper use of the word 'there' and proper punctuation may assist you in being called something other than what you listed. I should not need to reiterate what I said about the press. Most poeple are aware that they do not have any scruples. I would like to think that people representing Teamsters would have higher standards.
It's not very becoming to seek vengence and associate yourself with Teamsters. I gives a bad impression of the organization.Just trying to help.

Before calling someone out on their post maybe it would serve you well to read what you wrote before you post!