SAIA | Single Axle Pups 80k?

DBLJointed

TB Lurker
Credits
Most other LTL companies that I've worked for, only allowed 65k gross, with pups. How is it that Saia has trucks registered for 80k? The reg states "2" for the axle, when it's a single?! I driven twins mostly with pups or vans, up to 80k, but on singles it feels "loose" sometimes. Any other drivers out there ever question this?

Driving a single axle and pulling a set of pups is legal up to 80,000 gross. Of course, with any single axle, be it tractor, pup, or gear, the weight limit is 20,000 lbs. As long as no axle weighs more than 20,000 and the gross doesn't exceed 80,000, you're good to go.

That brings us to the dark side, the local dock supervisors. I was lucky, in that, I had an in yard scale available and wasn't afraid to use it. I have taken many trailers back to the dock, which almost always resulted in a late departure. Sometimes, they would give me the old " we do it all the time without a problem" reason but they gave in when I suggested calling safety, for a decision. Usually, it took just a few late departures before the supervisor started paying attention. Bitchy wheel gets the grease comes to mind. When you have scaled enough pup sets you will know, when a set is probably good or maybe a little iffy or flat out dangerous. My personal red line was 42,000 lbs of freight somewhat equally divide between the two pups. If a set was 22,000 and 21,000 then I would pull it but, if the split, was 24000+ and the rest on the rear, we would have to talk about that one. If you are starting, from a non scale terminal, you will just have to raise hell about what you think are heavy trailers. Maybe I was just lucky and they gave in, probably not, or maybe they just got tired of hearing me bitch, probably true, either way, they gave me what I wanted. Good luck.

80k is legal 20k per axle & 12ish in your steers - most scales won't catch an over gross on a set of doubles unless you're over on an axle if they even catch that as they have to be paying attention as you cross vs relying on the alarm that's flags 34k... I'm just throwing it out there I'm not advocating that you test it.

Some years back they put out a list of acceptable weights & not I don't remember what they were a general rule would be 44k on a single screw & 42 twin screw... Anything beyond that is all going to depend on accuracy of the weights and how it's loaded

Side note - I've had more overweight 20K trailers then 24-26k trailers

80k is legal 20k per axle & 12ish in your steers - most scales won't catch an over gross on a set of doubles unless you're over on an axle if they even catch that as they have to be paying attention as you cross vs relying on the alarm that's flags 34k... I'm just throwing it out there I'm not advocating that you test it.

Some years back they put out a list of acceptable weights & not I don't remember what they were a general rule would be 44k on a single screw & 42 twin screw... Anything beyond that is all going to depend on accuracy of the weights and how it's loaded

Side note - I've had more overweight 20K trailers then 24-26k trailers
Me, too. You get a headload of drums, heavy iron castings, or any number of other possibilities and a low 20's or lower trailer can be over axle.

Me, too. You get a headload of drums, heavy iron castings, or any number of other possibilities and a low 20's or lower trailer can be over axle.

When I load outbound trailers, my rule is no more than 3k pds On the steel plate in the nose and Max wt is 22k. I have loaded a 24/18 set but I really spread my weight out perfectly. Most dock hands don’t care or know unless they were drivers and certainly supers don’t care since there number hungry so as long as you can get the door closed, their good.

Guess the steers do not count as an axle?
Steers count as an axle but are fixed weights of around 8 to 10,000 lbs. The steer weight is just a number to be added into the calculation of the total gross weight. If you ever got busted for an overweight steer axle, call safety immediately because there is something seriously wrong.

Steers count as an axle but are fixed weights of around 8 to 10,000 lbs. The steer weight is just a number to be added into the calculation of the total gross weight. If you ever got busted for an overweight steer axle, call safety immediately because there is something seriously wrong.
Your 5th wheel would have to be all the way fwd , maybe:duh:

Your 5th wheel would have to be all the way fwd , maybe:duh:
The single axle tractors, that Saia uses, doesn't allow for 5th wheel adjustments. They are bolted in place. Also, if they were adjustable, moving them full forward would allow the trailer legs and the mud flap hangers to get at each other, when the tractor makes anything close to a hard turn to either side. Mud flap hangers always lose.

The single axle tractors, that Saia uses, doesn't allow for 5th wheel adjustments. They are bolted in place. Also, if they were adjustable, moving them full forward would allow the trailer legs and the mud flap hangers to get at each other, when the tractor makes anything close to a hard turn to either side. Mud flap hangers always lose.

Some of the twin screws hit the dolly leg support bracket on the 19 and newer pups. We had a new driver get wrote up for that.

Drac,plz re read the post. He said the truck is registered as 2 axles. But it it a single screw. Had to bust on the poster