SAIA | Single Axle Pups 80k?

Gotta get to pretty early to pull a fast one on you Mr. Miagi :encouragement:

Yep, I've been stuck or hung up in an inch of snow more than most would believe.
Before we went strickly pups, our 3 axles were pushers, very few screws, just like Roadway, pee under the drive, you were stuck.
When Ryder bought Hoover, those tractors had belts, damned if they didn't cut the belts the first week.

Naw, us CFCCers called those a twin screw or a full screw. Kinda like the full screw I got from the ABF takeover

We along with Big R, made Carolina drivers a lot of delay time when we got our inch of snow in Ga.
We had 301 and 321 blocked, CFC couldn"t get by with their screws, they sat on the clock till the wreckers came for us.

Most other LTL companies that I've worked for, only allowed 65k gross, with pups. How is it that Saia has trucks registered for 80k? The reg states "2" for the axle, when it's a single?! I driven twins mostly with pups or vans, up to 80k, but on singles it feels "loose" sometimes. Any other drivers out there ever question this?
Pups are rated at 40K. As long as you don't go over 20K on a single drive axle you should be good.

Yep, I've been stuck or hung up in an inch of snow more than most would believe.
Before we went strickly pups, our 3 axles were pushers, very few screws, just like Roadway, pee under the drive, you were stuck.
When Ryder bought Hoover, those tractors had belts, damned if they didn't cut the belts the first week.
Ok Mr. Breeze, I grew up around this stuff and I can usually keep up with you old timers' stories from the stuff I learned from my dad, grand dad and uncles but you got me stumped on this one. What belts? Drive belts? Fan belts? BTW, at one of my customers today a guy walks in with a cane and starts talking to the shipping guy. Turns out he's pulling a stepdeck with an old Ford Aerostar, they loaded him with product to Zanesville, Oh. I asked the shipping clerk if the old guy was riding with some one. Shipping guy laughs and says " nope, that's George. He's been coming in here the 22 years I've been here and he runs three loads a month out of here for Zanesville. Works for the receiver. He's 87 now, says he's going to hang it up when he hits 90."

I'll be damned if they didn't load about 25,000 on him and he walked around that trailer, hung his cane on the rub rail at every strap winch, threw the strap then cinched everything down neat as could be and pulled out down the road. UNREAL man. I couldn't believe my eyes! Thought you might get a kick out of that, that an 87 year old is still out here.

XSQwzR1.jpg

hrazgR2.jpg

I’ll let Mr. Breeze explain em....

XSQwzR1.jpg

hrazgR2.jpg

I’ll let Mr. Breeze explain em....
Good deal, pictures beat a thousand words.
When Ryder aquired Hoover, the state of Tenn, required these belt driven axles or a screw.
RTL only had dead pushers, we thought we were in high cotton when we got their 9000 Whites with belts
Why they cut them off, I'll never know, they really helped in snow.
BTW, Tenn dropped that law the same week RTL aquired Hoover.
The Butcher Bros. were high rollers in Tenn, got board seats with RTL. big bankers, lots of money changed hands.

Ok Mr. Breeze, I grew up around this stuff and I can usually keep up with you old timers' stories from the stuff I learned from my dad, grand dad and uncles but you got me stumped on this one. What belts? Drive belts? Fan belts? BTW, at one of my customers today a guy walks in with a cane and starts talking to the shipping guy. Turns out he's pulling a stepdeck with an old Ford Aerostar, they loaded him with product to Zanesville, Oh. I asked the shipping clerk if the old guy was riding with some one. Shipping guy laughs and says " nope, that's George. He's been coming in here the 22 years I've been here and he runs three loads a month out of here for Zanesville. Works for the receiver. He's 87 now, says he's going to hang it up when he hits 90."

I'll be damned if they didn't load about 25,000 on him and he walked around that trailer, hung his cane on the rub rail at every strap winch, threw the strap then cinched everything down neat as could be and pulled out down the road. UNREAL man. I couldn't believe my eyes! Thought you might get a kick out of that, that an 87 year old is still out here.
Been real lucky with my health, but with todays traffic I wouldn't even drive for COOP
We had hard times, bad roads, and equipment, but I don't think it was any harder than what todays drivers endure.

I have never seen anything like that in my life. Guess I’m showing my age as a pup huh. Amazing.

I havn't seen them around for years, they did save on weight, when you tore out a power divider on a screw, you're talking big bucks.
The 34000k rears were bad about coming apart, 38000, not so much.
3 axle tractors were not permitted on the East coast till the early 60s.
Don't know if many of you remember Super Service or Huber & Huber, I think they ran some belt drives.
H & H had the best sounding Emeryvilles in the country, 220s with backport manifold.
I doubt many know the sound of a backport.

Last edited:
When Ryder aquired Hoover, the state of Tenn, required these belt driven axles or a screw.
RTL only had dead pushers, we thought we were in high cotton when we got their 9000 Whites with belts
The Butcher Bros. were high rollers in Tenn, got board seats with RTL. big bankers, lots of money changed hands.
Thanks for the education, I love learning about this stuff. So when I was with CF as a casual after the CFCC debacle, some of the old cabover tandem axles must have had what you call a pusher? The lead tandem was a drive axle and the trailing had air bags on it that required a valve in the cab to be set at a certain PSI depending on weight of the load, manifest even had a blank box where dispatch was required to fill in proper PSI setting. My Dad drove a Transtar II COE that had the same setup. I think Holland runs a similar set up as well. The trailing axle was dead and not liftable but was there for weight distribution. So that's a pusher? I had always heard the term tag axle. Heard horror stories of getting stuck in a rough lot or yard when drive axle would loose traction over a hole or low spot and get off the ground because of the dead rear axle

Thanks for the education, I love learning about this stuff. So when I was with CF as a casual after the CFCC debacle, some of the old cabover tandem axles must have had what you call a pusher? The lead tandem was a drive axle and the trailing had air bags on it that required a valve in the cab to be set at a certain PSI depending on weight of the load, manifest even had a blank box where dispatch was required to fill in proper PSI setting. My Dad drove a Transtar II COE that had the same setup. I think Holland runs a similar set up as well. The trailing axle was dead and not liftable but was there for weight distribution. So that's a pusher? I had always heard the term tag axle. Heard horror stories of getting stuck in a rough lot or yard when drive axle would loose traction over a hole or low spot and get off the ground because of the dead rear axle

Dead axle in front is a pusher, dead on rear is called tag.
Ours didn't have air bags, Reyco tandem with 60/40 spring distribution.
Getting stuck or hung up on a low spot was not uncommon.
We had the infamous Jiffs with air bags, thats another story, or nightmare

Ok, Thanks for the reply. Sorry, we've always called singles up here-single screws & 2 drive axles twins. Funny wise guys guys on here, too be expected & funny comments. These a single drive axles, don't know how they get away w/stating that there's 2 axles on the reg though. Steer axles never counted, only the # of drives designate how many axles are on the unit.

Ok, Thanks for the reply. Sorry, we've always called singles up here-single screws & 2 drive axles twins. Funny wise guys guys on here, too be expected & funny comments. These a single drive axles, don't know how they get away w/stating that there's 2 axles on the reg though. Steer axles never counted, only the # of drives designate how many axles are on the unit.

No apology needed, about half the clowns on TB, including myself will twist your words around anyway.
Regardless of what you call them, you knew what you were talking about.

I'm still confused. You have to count the steers in your calculation.

12 K steer. 12 K steer
20 K single axle. 34 K tandem

Big difference but doesn't affect overall GVWR of tractor. A single axle can easily scale 80K with the right trailer setup. ABF used to run tridem trailers with single axle tractors and scale 80K. Many states you can go 14 K on your steers if tires have proper rating. Single axles regularly pull triples and long doubles on the Turnpike in excess of 80k gross. So I'm not sure what you're confused about. Some LTL's will plate their city units for a lower weight to save on fees but that doesn't mean steer axles aren't counted

Can you explain to the class, belt driven mirrors, also?

I'm still confused. You have to count the steers in your calculation.

12 K steer. 12 K steer
20 K single axle. 34 K tandem

Big difference but doesn't affect overall GVWR of tractor. A single axle can easily scale 80K with the right trailer setup. ABF used to run tridem trailers with single axle tractors and scale 80K. Many states you can go 14 K on your steers if tires have proper rating. Single axles regularly pull triples and long doubles on the Turnpike in excess of 80k gross. So I'm not sure what you're confused about. Some LTL's will plate their city units for a lower weight to save on fees but that doesn't mean steer axles aren't counted

Seems GVW and GCW are being confused in some posts.

Can you explain to the class, belt driven mirrors, also?

Maybe Dave will post a picture, I recall when we got fender mirrors, don't remember if they were belt driven.
They were used strickly for watching smoke or a flame from the stack if we had a good horse.