SAIA | Single Axle Pups 80k?

Seems GVW and GCW are being confused in some posts.
Correct, but steer axle is still counted in both, a two axle tractor has 1 steer and 1 drive, a three axle has 1 steer and either two drives or a drive and a dead axle. I don't get where people are saying you don't count steers. I regularly have 11-11,500 on my steer with pups

Correct, but steer axle is still counted in both, a two axle tractor has 1 steer and 1 drive, a three axle has 1 steer and either two drives or a drive and a dead axle. I don't get where people are saying you don't count steers. I regularly have 11-11,500 on my steer with pups
Yes, an axle is an axle. Not a hard concept. I agree.

And all these years, I thought a steer was a castrated bull.
I also know or think an AXE is what the wife uses to split firewood.

If trailer weight is questionably overweight, put heavy pup on rear.
Better than overweight ticket.
That will only get you so far & makes no difference if it is over on the tail... If I remember correctly depending on the trailer you can get 1k off the nose that way but they pull like crap

I'm still confused. You have to count the steers in your calculation.

12 K steer. 12 K steer
20 K single axle. 34 K tandem

Big difference but doesn't affect overall GVWR of tractor. A single axle can easily scale 80K with the right trailer setup. ABF used to run tridem trailers with single axle tractors and scale 80K. Many states you can go 14 K on your steers if tires have proper rating. Single axles regularly pull triples and long doubles on the Turnpike in excess of 80k gross. So I'm not sure what you're confused about. Some LTL's will plate their city units for a lower weight to save on fees but that doesn't mean steer axles aren't counted
I pulled triples regularly with a 2 axle tractor ( 1- steer and 1- drive axle) with over weight permits to 105,000 lbs gross allowable. The tractor I used was licensed for 80,000 lbs otherwise.

Ok, Thanks for the reply. Sorry, we've always called singles up here-single screws & 2 drive axles twins. Funny wise guys guys on here, too be expected & funny comments. These a single drive axles, don't know how they get away w/stating that there's 2 axles on the reg though. Steer axles never counted, only the # of drives designate how many axles are on the unit.
You can look at an inspection sheet from the state DOT. It will show axle 1, axle 2 and so on. The steer is always axle 1.
One of the reasons I got into the habit of calling tractors by their total amount of axles is when I lived in California. Not all tractors with 2 drive axles were twin screws, a lot of them were tag axles or Jifflocs to save weight or add flexibility.

You can look at an inspection sheet from the state DOT. It will show axle 1, axle 2 and so on. The steer is always axle 1.
One of the reasons I got into the habit of calling tractors by their total amount of axles is when I lived in California. Not all tractors with 2 drive axles were twin screws, a lot of them were tag axles or Jifflocs to save weight or add flexibility.

You're almost right, if it has 2 DRIVE axles, it's a screw, if one is dead it's a pusher or tag.
I think Northeastern Trucking was the first on the East coast to run a pusher with single tires.
Some states did not recognize it as a tandem and could not scale 34k.
Their drivers used wedges and wooden blocks between the springs and frame to get their weight legal.

OK, is this a multiple screw, a screw-and-half, a triple screw, a steering screw or what? :hilarious:
X2_zHPhMdIPKSSsFhto9OX9fcXTjKr58StT-VT7epIE.jpg

Been real lucky with my health, but with todays traffic I wouldn't even drive for COOP
We had hard times, bad roads, and equipment, but I don't think it was any harder than what todays drivers endure.
Were you on the road before the Interstates were completed? My Dad drove many-a-mile here in Oregon before I-5 was completed...drove north and south out of Eugene on Highways 99, 99W and 99E and man, was he ever a happy fellow when I-5 was completed! Shaved 3 hours off of his trips to Seattle. You’re in I-95 country? What was the main north/south route before it was finished (1957?)?

Were you on the road before the Interstates were completed? My Dad drove many-a-mile here in Oregon before I-5 was completed...drove north and south out of Eugene on Highways 99, 99W and 99E and man, was he ever a happy fellow when I-5 was completed! Shaved 3 hours off of his trips to Seattle. You’re in I-95 country? What was the main north/south route before it was finished (1957?)?

US 29 was our road from Char to Atl, a hard 7 hr 262 mi run.
I 85 was completed in the mid 60s, it ran N to I 95, it replaced 29.
After 85 was opened to Atl, we still were running 78 from Atl to Bham, it was replaced by I 20.

Unless you’re asked for the manifests. Heavier and or longer are to be hooked as the lead.
Almost - while it is company policy that the heaviest/longest is the lead in most states it is not illegal to pull them backwards... and then there is Oregon where it only matters which one is in front if with a set of triples

Almost - while it is company policy that the heaviest/longest is the lead in most states it is not illegal to pull them backwards... and then there is Oregon where it only matters which one is in front if with a set of triples
I don’t know about “most” states, in Colorado it’s the law.