SAIA | Single Axle Pups 80k?

I won't tell him about backing up and slaming on brakes with pins out of front 5th wheel, you call for a wrecker to put it back on rails.
We didn't have the device to move 5th wheel like Big R.
Fun starts in ice and snow in 20 degree weather, you learn a few more cuss words.
Good lord! How old are these transformers? I’ve only been driving for 21 years. It makes me think of the commercial, “ there’s got to be a better way”.

Good lord! How old are these transformers? I’ve only been driving for 21 years. It makes me think of the commercial, “ there’s got to be a better way”.

I retired in 90, we probably quit using them in about 86, last 3 yrs we had only pups, no long trailers.

Believe it or not, R&L still had some dollies and tractors that were Jiffs. They weren't using them as designed when I started 10 years ago, the tractors were retired to city only and the dollies were just being used as normal in twins. You could spot them easily though because the tongue was narrower than the non Jiff. One main reason they stopped using them was they got nailed by DOT because the holes the pins went through were elongated beyond acceptable tolerances, much the same way slider pins on trailers can elongate slider rail holes. They used them up until 2008 or so. I've seen at least one old Jiff Tractor in Norwalk terminal being used as a shop truck to move trailers in and out. It had a 2008 IFTA sticker on it, no plate though. I haven't been to Norwalk for a few years though.

Believe it or not, R&L still had some dollies and tractors that were Jiffs. They weren't using them as designed when I started 10 years ago, the tractors were retired to city only and the dollies were just being used as normal in twins. You could spot them easily though because the tongue was narrower than the non Jiff. One main reason they stopped using them was they got nailed by DOT because the holes the pins went through were elongated beyond acceptable tolerances, much the same way slider pins on trailers can elongate slider rail holes. They used them up until 2008 or so. I've seen at least one old Jiff Tractor in Norwalk terminal being used as a shop truck to move trailers in and out. It had a 2008 IFTA sticker on it, no plate though. I haven't been to Norwalk for a few years though.
Thanks for the info, I learned something new.

Tire man ran away sobbing when this one pulled in...

c16144d8b45022064d21ce71f2cf8239.jpg
They said the check sent to the tire service looked like this

Ok, new day, new questions. Now about this jiff thing. Unless I’m not grasping this, the reason it was invented was solely to have the ability to run a single axle or twin. Was it for longer trailers or what? Seems like it was clearly over thought when all you needed to do was bolt another axle to the frame and BAMM! Surely those we’re already in existence. I don’t get it :idunno:

Ok, new day, new questions. Now about this jiff thing. Unless I’m not grasping this, the reason it was invented was solely to have the ability to run a single axle or twin. Was it for longer trailers or what? Seems like it was clearly over thought when all you needed to do was bolt another axle to the frame and BAMM! Surely those we’re already in existence. I don’t get it :idunno:
The reason was what you surmised. It allowed the company to pull heavy long trailers or pups without changing tractors and thus increased flexibility.

It was so a tractor Jiff equipped could say pull a set to a destination using the Jiff dolly as a standard twin trailer dolly and then make the return trip pulling a heavy long box with the Jiff dolly "Jiffed" to the tractor chassis basically converting the single axle tractor to a tandem axle tractor needed for the weight of the heavy long box. One tractor could be used for both purposes.

(Sorry ranch, didn't see your explanation till after I posted mine)

You have to remember, twins back in the day gave an extra 11 feet of floor over a 45' van and 8 feet extra over a 48'. When I started with CFCC in the 80's we even had a few 40' fixed tandem wedge vans so the value of the pups over a long box was significant . There were no 53' at the time in general service. So the flexibility was a big deal. Some of you older hands correct me if I am wrong, but the length laws played a part too. For example, at R&L we use exclusively tandem tractors on line haul, our linehaul is about 50/50 pups vs long box. But a tandem with the fifth wheel slid back on a set of twins might have run afoul of overall length laws where the single axle jiff wouldn't. I know Overnight and Roadway used them. Not sure about CF and ABF. Never saw a CFCC jiff either.

It was so a tractor Jiff equipped could say pull a set to a destination using the Jiff dolly as a standard twin trailer dolly and then make the return trip pulling a heavy long box with the Jiff dolly "Jiffed" to the tractor chassis basically converting the single axle tractor to a tandem axle tractor needed for the weight of the heavy long box. One tractor could be used for both purposes.

(Sorry ranch, didn't see your explanation till after I posted mine)
Ahh! Ok. So is it classified as a jiff dolly or a jiff truck?

You have to remember, twins back in the day gave an extra 11 feet of floor over a 45' van and 8 feet extra over a 48'. When I started with CFCC in the 80's we even had a few 40' fixed tandem wedge vans so the value of the pups over a long box was significant . There were no 53' at the time in general service. So the flexibility was a big deal. Some of you older hands correct me if I am wrong, but the length laws played a part too. For example, at R&L we use exclusively tandem tractors on line haul, our linehaul is about 50/50 pups vs long box. But a tandem with the fifth wheel slid back on a set of twins might have run afoul of overall length laws where the single axle jiff wouldn't. I know Overnight and Roadway used them. Not sure about CF and ABF. Never saw a CFCC jiff either.

PIE had them also. When I occasionally worked as night switcher at our small EOL while there I had my "fun" time with Jiffs. Thankfully the night mechanic was more than happy to help and get most of the grease on himself (since he was already somewhat grease covered anyway.) :smile new:

I'll post you a better video.
We didn't have the tool for sliding front 5th wheel,also had about 20 men out on workmans comp at one time in Charl.
Ted is right about the length law, 65' when pups started on this side.

PIE had them also. When I occasionally worked as night switcher at our small EOL while there I had my "fun" time with Jiffs. Thankfully the night mechanic was more than happy to help and get most of the grease on himself (since he was already somewhat grease covered anyway.) :smile new:

I didn't know Overnite had jiffs.
yopJ8Iu.jpg

Did Tri have a pretty apron?

Ripdavey the overall length laws were crazy. They did weird things like make a unit that transformed from a set of twins to a truck and full trailer to traverse the northwest part of PA where I-90 crosses because OH and NY allowed twins but PA didn't. There were tractors with concave rear panels to nestle the trailer as close as possible. Old trailers angled front corners so trailer wouldn't hit Tractor when it turned . Sleeper boxes above the driver seat . It was all to conform with overall length laws. Nowadays as long as the trailer is under 53' were good, stretch em out!

Ripdavey the overall length laws were crazy. They did weird things like make a unit that transformed from a set of twins to a truck and full trailer to traverse the northwest part of PA where I-90 crosses because OH and NY allowed twins but PA didn't. There were tractors with concave rear panels to nestle the trailer as close as possible. Old trailers angled front corners so trailer wouldn't hit Tractor when it turned . Sleeper boxes above the driver seat . It was all to conform with overall length laws. Nowadays as long as the trailer is under 53' were good, stretch em out!

When PIE aquired Harris Express, 45' trailers were illegal in Pa.
The B67 Macks were our first concave cabs, also wore your shirts, if you had a belly.