FedEx Freight | sitting at home

birddog

TB Lurker
Credits
No freight again tonight. I sure hope things turn around here soon I'm running out of money. I might have to start putting in apps. if this keeps up. Ya'll have a good night I'm going to try to sleep hoping they will call tomorrow.:coffee1:

I asked the girl why I haven't got an unemployment check yet, she said "give me yourr SS#, I'll put it in and see what happens" WTF? Do they think your just gonna sit home and not make any money? We're all rich and do this for a hobby? That pisses me off more than not working!! The fact that they take it so lightly.

Will your terminal let you get out in the system? I know you may not want to, but there are ways to work the system. You could volunteer to go to a different terminal and work for a short. There is always a way around it if you look outside the normal. Ask your terminal manager if there are terminals out there that need temporary help.

I've been on the bottom. I would sneak out in the system on the weekends and stay running. Foreign power (you, if you are not at your home terminal) goes out before the local extra board. They would rather keep you running than pay you motel delay after 12 hours. As long as we weren't busy, the LH boss wouldn't say anything.

Will your terminal let you get out in the system? I know you may not want to, but there are ways to work the system. You could volunteer to go to a different terminal and work for a short. There is always a way around it if you look outside the normal. Ask your terminal manager if there are terminals out there that need temporary help.

I've been on the bottom. I would sneak out in the system on the weekends and stay running. Foreign power (you, if you are not at your home terminal) goes out before the local extra board. They would rather keep you running than pay you motel delay after 12 hours. As long as we weren't busy, the LH boss wouldn't say anything.

I've done that before but we don't have the freight to get out in the system with. I've even tried to get out the past 2 weekends but no freight, central said no. Just hoping it gets better soon with school starting back up the kids need supplies and clothes not to mention the regular bills keep on coming. Anyway hope you have a good day Guardrail, we'll try again tonight and hope for the best.

that would **** me off to if the unemployment did that to me to.
It's not unemployment's fault, the office girl didn't put it in the system. They(company) have to do it for partial unemployment.
I hear what your saying guardrail, I left a linehaul job that kept me out all week. Almost got divorced over it, that's why I came to fedex, no out all week runs. I'll sit home all they want, just put my unemployment in!!! I got out of debt, knowing it could be rough for awhile, but hey, if your gonna hire people you don't need, pay the unemployment insurance, or lay me off.

I've done that before but we don't have the freight to get out in the system with. I've even tried to get out the past 2 weekends but no freight, central said no. Just hoping it gets better soon with school starting back up the kids need supplies and clothes not to mention the regular bills keep on coming. Anyway hope you have a good day Guardrail, we'll try again tonight and hope for the best.
there was a CHR city driver in baltimore sat birddog. Looks like he's working 7 days a week

I always made sure the dispatch knew I didn't mind a lay down run. If things were looking slow, he'd try to hook me up with one on Friday so I could disappear for a week or two. When I'd get to another terminal, I'd tell them I was wild and then the fun would start.

there was a CHR city driver in baltimore sat birddog. Looks like he's working 7 days a week
I was off Friday but CHR dto too many people and had to cover their butt. I'm assuming that is what happened or I'm not kissing the right butt one. I've tried to get out the past 2 weekends but to no avail. We'll wait for the phone call again tonight. Take care Sharpshooter.

You could also get the word out to the guys higher on the board that you're not working. You'd be surprised how many will take a day off so the guys at the bottom can work. I won't hurt to try.

Birddog, it seems nobody is gonna be honest with you, but I will! This company, is just a company, trying to make a buck. You do not matter, and neither does your family, or your needs. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. It don't matter if you've been here 25 years or 25 minutes. The sooner you figure that out, the better you will be. That's nothing against you or anybody else. And that's not being negative, "This is for all the naive fools that think this is more than a job", it's the truth. Get a second job, suck it up, and pay your bills. I'm sure you do and remember that" purple promise" is advertising or brainwashing if you're simple minded. GoodLuck!

I don't think anybody here is brainwashed purple Hurricane. You can't get a second job when your on call 24/7, that was my point of just laying off, so people can move on, or don't make partial unem such a hassle. Ofcourse , they don't want "Fedex Layoffs" in the paper, so that's not gonna happen. The big thing is they just had absolutely no plan for what to do when they broke teams, NONE. Harrison said no more teams and natl broke teams and now they don't know what to do till their told.

Get a second job, suck it up, and pay your bills.

Ya know, I'm really not trying to flame anybody here but you sound exactly like some of the "senior" guys at my terminal. Always had a bid,never had to live by the phone,never had to go to the rail yard,go to less then desirable terminals,work the dock .. etc. Same guys that come in bitchin everyday if they spend more than 5 minutes looking for their trailers. Real easy to tell someone to suck it up when you probably never been in that position. Now I can only assume you will reply blah blah blah been through that, I put my time in,I use to work the extra board for years and so on. We both know that's not the case because anyone that really worked the extra board for any length of time would never make such statements.

You can't get a second job when your on call 24/7, that was my point of just laying off, so people can move on

Exact same problem here too brother. What can you do ? There are no jobs around my area or I would just quit and move on. FedEx really gave it to us hard up the bunghole on this one. And to anyone that has a bid right now, really think about how lucky you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Birddog, it seems nobody is gonna be honest with you,

I'm going to pull a quote from another post...

As long as we remind ourselves that it's a job and that's as far as it goes we will make it fine. The days of someone working for 60 years at the same company are all but gone. There isn't much company loyalty or loyalty to the employee any more.

FedEx is beholden to the stock holders. If the stock holder are happy, the company stays strong. Everyone is expendable, all the way to the top.

I've been saying this for years about this and any other publicly traded company.

Get a second job, suck it up, and pay your bills.

FedEx will not allow you to work for a competitor even if any were hiring, so what would you suggest?

Your post is very negative and not constructive in the least. These guys are looking for ideas and a little moral boost. Good job not providing any of that for them.

Birddog, it seems nobody is gonna be honest with you, but I will! This company, is just a company, trying to make a buck. You do not matter, and neither does your family, or your needs. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. It don't matter if you've been here 25 years or 25 minutes. The sooner you figure that out, the better you will be. That's nothing against you or anybody else. And that's not being negative, "This is for all the naive fools that think this is more than a job", it's the truth. Get a second job, suck it up, and pay your bills. I'm sure you do and remember that" purple promise" is advertising or brainwashing if you're simple minded. GoodLuck!
Hurricane64 I'm not sure what terminal you are out of but like Sharpshooter said being on call 24/7 does not leave too many options for a part time job. Believe me if I could I would, I know that I'm just a number but this is still one of the best jobs out there. I'm going to hold on as long as I can and hope for the best. Not to sound negative but you sound like varnco. Have a good night.;)

I only worked the dock (dock combo) for about a year, so I count myself lucky on that score--but I may be back on the dock next bid. Right now I am fairly high up on the extra board and seem to be getting decent runs. When I first started, I goofed and chose extra board over a small dock combo and just about starved that first winter. If you can hang on, it is a good job/paycheck.

Late to mid 90's was a good time to get hired. Alot of those guys went straight to road and don't know what the dock even looks like. Then you were high enough to get through the big slow down a couple years ago without really even noticing it

For 5 years my husband and I were extra board. It's very hard, when you are running pay up all the bills and save like crazy. Like Dave says beans and rice. This is the first time we have a bid and we had to move 1000 miles from home to get it. That's not a choice for some people if they have kids but you might think about moving. To one of the relay points . Holbrook, Benson, Sidney. My linehaul manager in Atl knew I was looking to move because we would not be able to get a bid run there over 172 miles when the teams broke up. He got an e-mail about 4 openings shamrock. We jumped on it. Closed our house down where we lived. Still make that payment and rent something here. Will go home someday!!!!! Don't want to live forever in Shamrock !!!!! It was hard but like everyone says it's a good paying job with good beanies. Have friends that work OTR and listen to her try to tell me how much they are making but then the pain of wrong directions, shippers, inner city, lumpers, forget it. I'll make my husband work the parking lot LOL!!!! Hang in there.

Birddog, Hollar at me, I'll DTO or slide some cash. We can't let you go some where else. Whatcha gone do with Crickkett,Peachess, and those other 6 persons. If you would make all of them work, maybe you could stay home worry free.:stirthepot:

Birddog, Hollar at me, I'll DTO or slide some cash. We can't let you go some where else. Whatcha gone do with Crickkett,Peachess, and those other 6 persons. If you would make all of them work, maybe you could stay home worry free.:stirthepot:

You know It's hard to get them to do anything, mention the word work and they scatter. I'm plugging along, don't worry I'll work the corner if I have to. I'll just have to move Peaches off the block to do it. See you tonight.;)