ODFL | Skywalker On Fire

Nothing But The Truth

Heard A New One Burned Out From Under Him.when He Gets In We'll Get The Whole Truth And Nothing But The Truth.

Alright heres the deal.I was dispatched from mrt to ash and was at mile marker 50 when I heard a slight little pop sound and then started to lose my power.Thought that the clutch had when out and just kept my foot on the pedal.When I finally got off onto exit 51 and came up to the stop light I realized that I had a good clutch but when the light turned green I started to proceed but had no power then I looked in the mirrors to see where the 4wheelers were at cause I was putting my flashers on and then I saw all the smoke and realized that the turbo must have went out.When I finally made it onto the yard I parked the truck and went into dispatch and told them my truck was breaking down and that I needed another one .After Ken told me I had one on the way and what door to put the ash trailer up to I went outside and the truck was on fire!The fire was coming out from the bottom of the cab and up the smokestack.When I opened the door to get the fire extingisher,black smoke roared out of the cab and I couldn't see inside of it and I knew that this was not going to be good.I used up the wimpy extinguisher then ran inside for help.The ash guys went and got three big extinguishers and put out the fire.Let me tell everyone that those guys were on top of their game and this ordeal could not have happened at a better term!Supper Nice bunch of folks in my mind!Anyway they called the fire depatment and they concluded in their investigation that the turbo going out and the oil getting into the exhaust was the start of the fire.From now on if I ever have another one go out like that one did I will stop right there and not go any further.I have had turbos to go out before but they made a big popping sound or started to whine,this one never gave me any indication that it was going out or when it did go out.All of my stuff burned up in the fire but I'm ok and no one got hurt that is the best part!

John Wayne

Hey Jim Bob thanks for that compliment brother!Man those guys were on top of their game too and if they weren't level headed about the whole situation I would have hated to see a different outcome!It could have been alot worse!

I had one go on me about four years ago and did hear the whine/whistle.i was 8-10 miles from the terminal and called in and told them what happened ,they said come back and get a different truck.i made it half way back @ 10-15 MPH and heard the second pop. i pulled over in the median and got out and looked under the hood,it was gushing oil from being hot.they called the tow truck to come get me.No fire or anything serious.Grabbed another truck and left.Then that truck (the one that was towed in) got used to move empty trailers to the dock and it had problems.Did not see what it did but it went to the shop and had three injectors replaced as well as the turbo and three sleeves too.It cost over 5K to fix.Glad i had it towed and had not been responsible.It was never quite the same after that.It has been retired but is still on the yard.

JIM BOB said:
Skywalker,go To Estes Site,read"how Many Hours"and Give Us An Opinion.
Jim Bob I checked that out and sounds like their hurting for drivers pretty bad and asking city guys to work the weekends.If you work 50 hrs a week and run a turn run on sat you can legaly do it depending on the departure time but if they are expected to run a bag run and come back on sun there is no way that is legal and then you know what happens after that right.

dmtorl said:
I had one go on me about four years ago and did hear the whine/whistle.i was 8-10 miles from the terminal and called in and told them what happened ,they said come back and get a different truck.i made it half way back @ 10-15 MPH and heard the second pop. i pulled over in the median and got out and looked under the hood,it was gushing oil from being hot.they called the tow truck to come get me.No fire or anything serious.Grabbed another truck and left.Then that truck (the one that was towed in) got used to move empty trailers to the dock and it had problems.Did not see what it did but it went to the shop and had three injectors replaced as well as the turbo and three sleeves too.It cost over 5K to fix.Glad i had it towed and had not been responsible.It was never quite the same after that.It has been retired but is still on the yard.
Yaknow I think there is a problem with some of those new trucks but I had been in that same truck for 13 days and then it failed on me coming home.I wonder if the truck was bad or maybe this new low sulfur deisel may have a cause in it,maybe I picked up some of that stuff somewhere but I got word this is the third one thats caught on fire...

Hey S*** happens right. Glad you came out OK Skywalker. If it ever happens to me I hope you are near: might need you help and experience.

You shoudl never drive a tractor with a blown turbo!Your lucky you didn't suck debris from the turbo into the motor via the cylinders let alone burn her up!Shut it down immediately if it's safe to do so!Lesson learned.....My two cents....