ODFL | Slow times, layoff for sure!

nctruckin

TB Lurker
Credits
Funny how a younger driver, been here longer than I have, mentioned to alot of people that when things get slow, cameras would be 'coming on'! I've ran into a few 'meet guys(both fill in and regular)' the past 2 weeks that 'got caught' using their phones while driving(they were docked and using the 'one touch' OD says you're allowed), and they weren't with the company but under 5 years minimum get written up and threated with their jobs. What is OD becoming, SAIA? We ALL know, in this day and age, EVERYONE uses their phone for music(entertainment) and even the 'younger crowd' uses it way more than us older guys. Guess OD will lose all the good guys, and keep all the 'bad ones' now, eh?

That's because road drivers have way too much time on their hands. Let me tell you about a city driver I met, a "multi tasking got no time for bullspit " certified truck driver. The side of his OD truck said cutting grass and hauling ass.

He would get to a delivery, jump on his forklift mower, cut the grass as he unloaded the skids, then head to the next delivery. The back of his shirt said "two time pistachio champion". He was having so much fun I bet he never retires.

Screenshot_20230218-184417_Google.md.jpeg

Funny how a younger driver, been here longer than I have, mentioned to alot of people that when things get slow, cameras would be 'coming on'! I've ran into a few 'meet guys(both fill in and regular)' the past 2 weeks that 'got caught' using their phones while driving(they were docked and using the 'one touch' OD says you're allowed), and they weren't with the company but under 5 years minimum get written up and threated with their jobs. What is OD becoming, SAIA? We ALL know, in this day and age, EVERYONE uses their phone for music(entertainment) and even the 'younger crowd' uses it way more than us older guys. Guess OD will lose all the good guys, and keep all the 'bad ones' now, eh?
This might be a lesson. Keep off of the phone while driving. I can’t count how many near misses that I have experienced while some Bozo thinks that their phone is more important than keeping their Prius in their lane. Then they give me the bird for honking at them.

Read what the FMCSA rules say about phones. Personal phone use decisions does not allow you to bypass what the FMCSA rule says. Get into any accident while driving a semi, and one of the first things they will look at is your phone records. It may end your driving career, or your life.

Last edited:
Read what the FMCSA rules say about phones. Personal phone use decisions does not allow you to bypass what the FMCSA rule says. Get into any accident while driving a semi, and one of the first things they will look at is your phone records. It may end your driving career, or your life.
I'm glad harmonicas are not included.

Don’t state the obvious driver or you gonna be mocked by those this slow down doesn’t effect say you’re just making up things like I was on here,, Od always going to use the easy way to rid a few drivers during the slow times like these and keep the dead weight

That's because road drivers have way too much time on their hands. Let me tell you about a city driver I met, a "multi tasking got no time for bullspit " certified truck driver. The side of his OD truck said cutting grass and hauling ass.

He would get to a delivery, jump on his forklift mower, cut the grass as he unloaded the skids, then head to the next delivery. The back of his shirt said "two time pistachio champion". He was having so much fun I bet he never retires.

Screenshot_20230218-184417_Google.md.jpeg

These people. Are playing 5D chess.

yes, I know and understand that rule. It makes sense. I NEVER hold my phone and always have it docked. This rule has been in effect since 2012.....but they are getting more strict as I still see some OTR guys holding their phone talking while going down the road, during the day! (SMDH) I might touch it to change a sirius/xm station. But I have a receiver that I can pause or just pick up headset to answer a call. I don't call people during the night, but some call me. However, a KNC lost a driver due to this, this past week. Seems there's a certain truck that people are using and that camera goes off on ANYTHING!

Anyone seen any signs of things picking up? Just asking how things are going .
May have a really good day and the next is nothing.Pulling City Drivers everyday working dock to give them work.They keep saying anytime now.lol.Be like them holding all those old freightliners waiting for Roadway/Yellow to fall apart.Well,we all know how that turned out.lol

Yeah I have been seeing something going on with Yellow and Roadway so whats going on with that ? Union Contract?
There Contract is up for renewal and Tforce is to..Just a normal deal.They always wanting more.Wish we had there Insurance for sure.They don't realize how good they have it..Yes,they don't make the money we do.But, figure OT after 8 and getting paid for everything.It adds up

There Contract is up for renewal and Tforce is to..Just a normal deal.They always wanting more.Wish we had there Insurance for sure.They don't realize how good they have it..Yes,they don't make the money we do.But, figure OT after 8 and getting paid for everything.It adds up
You should be ashamed, lusting for our insurance, after all, you have Billy.
A man could not wish for more.