Pitt-Ohio | Slow

realityofitall

TB Regular
Credits
Reading this board I see Estes and FXF are slow with guys sitting by the phone. Is it slow at your terminal ? Are layoffs on the horizon ?

Several off daily at my barn, but mostly volunteers at this point.
I forgot to mention that we had 3 voluntary layoffs in January in the city and also a couple of long runs that were switched to four day work week. The four days could be permanent as we’ve always had 4-5 drivers on that schedule because of the number of 300+ mile peddle runs we have. I don’t know if it was offered or how many took a voluntary layoff for February.

I forgot to mention that we had 3 voluntary layoffs in January in the city and also a couple of long runs that were switched to four day work week. The four days could be permanent as we’ve always had 4-5 drivers on that schedule because of the number of 300+ mile peddle runs we have. I don’t know if it was offered or how many took a voluntary layoff for February.

300+? My run is about 450 give or take. We have one closer to 500. Once in a while, they will combine the two and I have run right at 550...lol

BTW, I have volunteered for a 4 day week since the start of November. The bottom guys run mine on my day off to get a good day in.

A peddle run of 300 miles is silly. Unprofitable at best. Instead of buying incomplete trucks buy or build another terminal.
one or two long runs out of a terminal don't justify a new terminal. There are just area's that don't have much work so you service them from the closest place. Usually more del than P/u's. Your other choice is to find a cartage co that might want the few deliveries.

one or two long runs out of a terminal don't justify a new terminal. There are just area's that don't have much work so you service them from the closest place. Usually more del than P/u's. Your other choice is to find a cartage co that might want the few deliveries.
This is why some of the runs out of my terminal are so long. We travel into/through some very rural areas that have few businesses but are served because they are enroute to and from other profitable but distant areas.

Yikes! Most of our longest runs are in hilly, rural areas where it’s impossible to make decent time driving. I think the longest run I’ve heard of was a straight truck driver doing 385 but that’s rare and typically not even possible in our service area.

Yikes! Most of our longest runs are in hilly, rural areas where it’s impossible to make decent time driving. I think the longest run I’ve heard of was a straight truck driver doing 385 but that’s rare and typically not even possible in our service area.

Ours is very Rural. Coal fields, and of course mountainous. The saving grace is a lot of interstate driving getting there.