R&L | Slow?

Ted Decker trk

When things are FUBAR, FIDO!
Credits
see on other company boards they're complaining about being slow . How are we looking around the country ? My terminal is booming. We're robbing linehaul floaters to cover city work. Tuesday was a record bill count for our terminal . How about the rest?

see on other company boards they're complaining about being slow . How are we looking around the country ? My terminal is booming. We're robbing linehaul floaters to cover city work. Tuesday was a record bill count for our terminal . How about the rest?
Dallas has more than it can handle along with covering Sanger blunders

Hammered in the Midwest area. :clapping:
Great Lakes area for me, rolling hot all day. My personal run is good for 3/4 trailer or better inbound and 1 1/2-2 trailers outbound daily. That's About 30% more over last 3 months than previous 18 months.

Reactions: IMO
Looks like we're the proverbial Black Swan then. Q1 economic figures show a positive trend but you wouldn't know it from some of the posts on other company threads. I see the same trend on the street and on the inbound and outbound dock. My bid area has mostly industry tied to construction, mining, and manufacturing as well as railcar repair/upkeep and is busy. A lot of agriculture related business too. Very little retail related. They're all busy. The only downside is the cool wet weather has delayed a lot of the farmers from getting into the fields, but that should change soon. Close to two major class 1 railroad lines, one east-west and the other a north-south route, both a main line , and the number of trains per day is 50-60 each, which is busy. Good mix of traffic in each. Lots of loaded lumber, steel coil, petro chemical, and intermodal cars. The auto racks seem less, but that's about it. I spend most of my time criss crossing both lines to service my customers so I pay pretty close attention to rail traffic by default.

Looks like we're the proverbial Black Swan then. Q1 economic figures show a positive trend but you wouldn't know it from some of the posts on other company threads. I see the same trend on the street and on the inbound and outbound dock. My bid area has mostly industry tied to construction, mining, and manufacturing as well as railcar repair/upkeep and is busy. A lot of agriculture related business too. Very little retail related. They're all busy. The only downside is the cool wet weather has delayed a lot of the farmers from getting into the fields, but that should change soon. Close to two major class 1 railroad lines, one east-west and the other a north-south route, both a main line , and the number of trains per day is 50-60 each, which is busy. Good mix of traffic in each. Lots of loaded lumber, steel coil, petro chemical, and intermodal cars. The auto racks seem less, but that's about it. I spend most of my time criss crossing both lines to service my customers so I pay pretty close attention to rail traffic by default.
I didn’t think you guys were privy to the numbers since you are privately held. Perhaps bill count and some other things would be shared by the Roberts family but things like the operation ratio which is the ultimate bottom line is kept private. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I didn’t think you guys were privy to the numbers since you are privately held. Perhaps bill count and some other things would be shared by the Roberts family but things like the operation ratio which is the ultimate bottom line is kept private. Correct me if I’m wrong.
Talking about US Q1 figures. I have no idea what company OR is. Other threads are talking about drivers sitting, routes cancelled etc etc. All I know is new equipment is rolling in daily, they're making improvements to physical facilities for a bump in pay with no increase in healthcare yet, and it's about impossible to get less than 50hours per week. We are privy to bill count and tonnage at our terminals if you ask.

Also , Roberts has tons of pots on the fire and I imagine he could make the books and the OR look anyway he cared too. Yes I know there are accounting rules but I've been around enough to know they can cook the books pretty easily between all the different entities he runs in addition to the core LTL operation

We're hitting record numbers as a whole for the entire company.

We're hitting record numbers as a whole for the entire company.
Good problem to have!

I had one of my largest outbound customers stop using us about three months ago due to problems with delivery of their product. They hit a number of grocery warehouses. Routing is controlled out of state by their corporate HQ. our guys went in and said "look, this is what delivery of your stuff entails , we are not doing it at current rates, here are your new rates". I hadn't seen a stick let alone a skid out of them for two and a half months after that. Been in there everyday for last 9 work days. I asked if rates were dropped by us. They said no, we're just tired of our stuff not getting picked up and deliverd on time , R&L is the only one giving us consistent pick up and transit times so we're using you guys on our time sensitive accounts. Could've knocked me over with a feather when traffic manager told me that. They do a lot of GSDS.

Last edited:
Good problem to have!

I had one of my largest outbound customers stop using us about three months ago due to problems with delivery of their product. They hit a number of grocery warehouses. Routing is controlled out of state by their corporate HQ. our guys went in and said "look, this is what delivery of your stuff entails , we are not doing it at current rates, here are your new rates". I hadn't seen a stick let alone a skid out of them for two and a half months after that. Been in there everyday for last 9 work days. I asked if rates were dropped by us. They said no, we're just tired of our stuff not getting picked up and deliverd on time , R&L is the only one giving us consistent pick up and transit times so we're using you guys on our time sensitive accounts. Could've knocked me over with a feather when traffic manager told me that. They do a lot of GSDS.

You get what you pay for in this industry. Did their traffic mgr say who the other carrier is?

You get what you pay for in this industry. Did their traffic mgr say who the other carrier is?
YRC Saia and Holland picked up most of what I used to get up till last week and a half. FedEx and Pitt Ohio are in regularly but they're still there. There's a sign in sheet with multiple days / weeks they're real strict about so it's easy to look back and see who's been there.

YRC Saia and Holland picked up most of what I used to get up till last week and a half. FedEx and Pitt Ohio are in regularly but they're still there. There's a sign in sheet with multiple days / weeks they're real strict about so it's easy to look back and see who's been there.

Nice to know our service is more reliable than that group

I consistently hear customers complain about YRC not picking them up or hoarding their freight till they have a bunch then delivering it all at once. Really pisses customers off.

I consistently hear customers complain about YRC not picking them up or hoarding their freight till they have a bunch then delivering it all at once. Really pisses customers off.
Well, if it’s a crappy location on the receivin end I can see why they doin it. Why tie a driver up for 2 hours to deliver 1 skid?