ODFL | Slowest ever, Company losing value

That’s dangerous. Pretending that you’re flying a airplane. That’s distractive driving, self induced. I guess it’s okay though. We have people that pretend that they’re actually a qualified............!! Fill in the blank.

Fill in the blank................. "Elephant Circumciser" not a high paying job, but you do get big tips.

That’s dangerous. Pretending that you’re flying a airplane. That’s distractive driving, self induced. I guess it’s okay though. We have people that pretend that they’re actually a qualified............!! Fill in the blank.

This old hill out east much bigger than that rice hill you use to pucker up coming down on in dry weather driver,, you ain’t even been to these parts where we got to think of things to take the edge off the task of driving down that windy cabbage hill,, they ain’t selling coffee mugs at the bottom of rice hill saying “I survived” like they doing at the bottom of Cabbage,,

Ain’t got no idea the struggles flatlander

This old hill out east much bigger than that rice hill you use to pucker up coming down on in dry weather driver,, you ain’t even been to these parts where we got to think of things to take the edge off the task of driving down that windy cabbage hill,, they ain’t selling coffee mugs at the bottom of rice hill saying “I survived” like they doing at the bottom of Cabbage,,

Yep Billy, you're right, us flatlanders can't stand the pressure.
But just in case, you start up Old Fancy Gap on US 52 N. of Cana va. you may want to put your old WC 22 White or A50 Mack in 1st gear, lock the throttle open and step out on the fuel tank, just in case a cylinder misfires, you could roll back down and wind up in the "Hennis Hole" it was named for Hennis Freight Lines of Winston Salem N. C.
They had 3 trucks in the hole at one time, recovery was more then the truck valvues, the wrecks were left down the hole, they were a good wakeup call, just look down and see them made you think.
Now coming down, was a different story, the mountain made fog, in 1972, 8 drivers were killed in 6 mos. less than 100 ft. apart, in seperate accidents.
Most drivers today talk about the Gap, have never seen the real gap, southbound trucks have been banned since I-77 opened years ago.
Yep, Billy we'll just stick to our flat lands, we know our place.

Last edited:

Hahahaha. You made my day. These mole hills around here are just that. Now I was running Boise for awhile. I’ve done Cabbage a few times.

But just in case, you start up Old Fancy Gap on US 52 N. of Cana va. you may want to put your old WC 22 White or A50 Mack in 1st gear, lock the throttle open and step out on the fuel tank, just in case a cylinder misfires, you could roll back down and wind up in the "Hennis Hole" it was named for Hennis Freight Lines of Winston Salem N. C.
They had 3 trucks in the hole at one time, recovery was more then the truck valvues, the wrecks were left down the hole, they were a good wakeup call, just look down and see them made you think.
Now coming down, was a different story, the mountain made fog, in 1972, 8 drivers were killed in 6 mos. less than 100 ft. apart, in seperate accidents.
Most drivers today talk about the Gap, have never seen the real gap, southbound trucks have been banned since I-77 opened years ago.
I have been up it a few times back in the early 90"s , I was going up and had a fan belt break , I had no choice but to continue up to the top ( I was actually was out of route)
After it seemed like every warning light that was in the dash was on , I made it to the top. I pulled over called in they said let it cool down and try to get it back in. I still had over 100 miles to get back to the terminal.
Amazing it didn't hurt the engine. They put a new belt on and I drove it the next night.

‘Lice’ Hill...as we Oregonians call it, is just that: a hill. The Siskiyou’s in December is quite fun. Both sides.

The 8 ton ban has been in place longer than 2016, it started when I-77 opened, don't recall what year.
At one time, most older drivers around Charlotte, drove for John Guignard's Northeastern Trucking Co.
Those guys cut their teeth on Fancy Gap, if you hired a Northeastern Driver, he pretty much knew his way around trucking.

I have been up it a few times back in the early 90"s , I was going up and had a fan belt break , I had no choice but to continue up to the top ( I was actually was out of route)
After it seemed like every warning light that was in the dash was on , I made it to the top. I pulled over called in they said let it cool down and try to get it back in. I still had over 100 miles to get back to the terminal.
Amazing it didn't hurt the engine. They put a new belt on and I drove it the next night.

Most drivers running the gap, weighed about 250, because of The Hungry Farmer Buffet Restaurant at foot of the hill, best around!

IcYlHBP.jpg

This old LJT was from Cana, and made its share of trips across the Gap.
On a foggy night, I always checked to make sure my pucker string was in good working order, before coming
down the hill.
I always carried an extra pair of clean underdrawers, never knew when they may come in handy.

Driving is no gravy train but back in those days it was a rough life.

Does anyone remember "Bell Lines" out of Charleston W. Va.?
They ran yellow B65 macks with mirrors the size of Sardine Cans, I think they were aquired by C F, not sure.
If you could keep up with those guys off the hill, you were entitled to be called a Supertrucker.
They also left remants in the Hennis hole.

Well ump, like DEN, all the SUPER TRUCKER weekend warriors are gitting in these last few runs east before the snow flies. Then like the team trucks, we will not see them again until it starts to thaw. But we will see the warriors going to PDX down I-5 on the flat roads ....heck if fly can do it I guess the warriors can and probably do it faster than that ol experienced guy

I always wondered why they banned trucks on that end of 52 thanks for the history lesson.