TForce | Smoke detector saves man from house fire

Its a fact, Smoke detectors do save lives. I pick one day per year to change all batterys in my six smoke detectors and one carbon monoxide detector. An easy day to remember. Thanksgiving!

WOW BusterNite you must have a really big house?

I only need two in my house.
I live in a very old one story farm house,its over 100 years old.
The foundation is stones,and dirt,so I don't need a carbon monoxide detector.

I also have a fire extingusher in my kitchen.

My house is so dry from years of aging that if it ever catches on fire,I,my wife,and her four cats will have to get out quick.

Apostolic said:

My house is so dry from years of aging that if it ever catches on fire,I,my wife,and her four cats will have to get out quick.
Apo, I don't have a big house. Its average. I have smoke detectors in most of the rooms. Can never be to safe. I have also bought all new detectors that I will hard wire in. No more battery's. I bought them some time ago. Just have not had the time to wire them in yet.

Apostolic said:

Apo, If I remember correctly, You should have a carbon monoxide detector in your home. An oil or gas furnace for a heating system that malfunctions will omit carbon monoxide into your home. You cannot smell it. Some familys have never woken up from their nights sleep do to heating system failure. (carbon monoxide)

We have them in every room of the house and we have a open floor plan where the kitchen livingroom dinningroom and family room is all open to each other but we still have placed them in all those rooms as well, and in the attic.. alot of fires start in the attic we turned the garage into another room with its own bathroom it got 2 as well. Buster we have the hard wire type in the new rooms but they also have a battery, I'm not sure if its a backup battery or what all I know is there is 1.

Apo! The info BusterNite is telling you is right!!!!!
Sources of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide can leak from any of the following items:

* Gas stoves
* Gas water heaters
* Gas clothes dryers
* Fireplaces or firepites
* Wood stoves
* Gas or charcoal barbecues
* Gas or oil space heaters
* Smudge pots
* Gas or diesel generators
* Gas or diesel cars and trucks
* Motorboats
* Motorcycles
* Gas-powered lawn equipment
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Recognizing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms - First Aid for CO Poisoning

Get a Carbon Monoxide Detector.

If you are depending on a battery run detector be it fire or carbon monoxide....make sure you check the batteries religiously. Better yet..get them hard wired to the house current.

Thanks for all of your concern for my safety.
But my house is totaly electric.
Everything,stove water heater,wall heaters,everything is electric.
When the elcetric is knocked out due to a big storm,I'm totaly up the creek with out a paddle.
I've thought about purchasing a propain generator,but I only think about that purchase after I've been without electric.
So far we've lived in this old farm house since 1981,the longest the electric has been out is 2 days because of an ice storm,around 10 years ago.
But thanks any way for thinking of my safety,you truckingboard posters are the best friends an old gear jammer like me could ever have.

BusterNite said:
Its a fact, Smoke detectors do save lives. I pick one day per year to change all batterys in my six smoke detectors and one carbon monoxide detector. An easy day to remember. Thanksgiving!
BusterNite that's a really good idea.

Classicteez said:
We have them in every room of the house and we have a open floor plan where the kitchen livingroom dinningroom and family room is all open to each other but we still have placed them in all those rooms as well, and in the attic.. alot of fires start in the attic we turned the garage into another room with its own bathroom it got 2 as well. Buster we have the hard wire type in the new rooms but they also have a battery, I'm not sure if its a backup battery or what all I know is there is 1.
Yes, The battery's you have is a back up in case of power failure in your home. I look at it this way, The more rooms you have detectors in, the better chance you have to be alerted of a early fire detection in your home.

Classicteez said:
I also have one in the attic. Most people don't. But the fact is that alot of your home electrical wireing and junction boxes run through your attic. With out a detector in the attic most of the upper portion of your home will burn before you even realize it.

I must say you've really thought of your family BusterNite,the way you have your house set up.
I also have a two story barn thats only 20 feet from the back of my house.
It makes it very convenent going to take care of the horses in the winter time.
But if either the barn or house ever catches on fire.
We can kiss the whole works bye,bye.
Either one will take the other one with it.

I am going to take your advice to get some more smoke detectors after reading the posts on this thread,it makes good sence to be safe,than sorry.

BusterNite said:
Yes, The battery's you have is a back up in case of power failure in your home. I look at it this way, The more rooms you have detectors in, the better chance you have to be alerted of a early fire detection in your home.
Hope you all changed your battries back a couple of weeks ago at the time change..