Yellow | Smoke Signals From Walmart/fedex Merger.

When you enter Omaha from the East, on I80, there are two old restored (classy looking) locomotives on the hill, greeting you. I have serious doubts of them being replaced by one old orange Yellow truck, facing one old blue Roadway truck??? (Maybe mud’s pumpkin?)

photo6jpg.jpg
Those are Union Pacific trains lol he owns bnsf

When you enter Omaha from the East, on I80, there are two old restored (classy looking) locomotives on the hill, greeting you. I have serious doubts of them being replaced by one old orange Yellow truck, facing one old blue Roadway truck??? (Maybe mud’s pumpkin?)

photo6jpg.jpg
Only if it still has mirrors.

Ahh, UP Big Boy #4023, awesome! Been up close to 4012 in Steamtown and 4017 in Green Bay. On my bucket list is to get close to restored/operational 4014 under steam and running by.

I can still remember the old steam powered locomotives, seems like they disappeared overnight and diesels took over.

I can still remember the old steam powered locomotives, seems like they disappeared overnight and diesels took over.

So do I. They were "alive" - real contraptions with all kinds of moving parts on the outside, smoke coming out the top, steam hissing and escaping from various places, something to behold for sure. Younger folks don't know what they missed not seeing them back in the day. Early 1950's is when many RR's went totally diesel. Glad I got to experience them in my younger days.

So do I. They were "alive" - real contraptions with all kinds of moving parts on the outside, smoke coming out the top, steam hissing and escaping from various places, something to behold for sure. Younger folks don't know what they missed not seeing them back in the day. Early 1950's is when many RR's went totally diesel. Glad I got to experience them in my younger days.
I recall they had converted the coalburners to oil, don't know if that was the case, they still drug the coal tenders.
Could be like the caboose, a union requirement, they drug those for years after their days were over.

I recall they had converted the coalburners to oil, don't know if that was the case, they still drug the coal tenders.
Could be like the caboose, a union requirement, they drug those for years after their days were over.

Some RR's did convert a small number to oil, but most were still burning coal till the end. When I was a kid I spent many hours/days riding with the RR crews on the lines near my house. By then the engines were all diesel unfortunately. But the caboose was still in around. In the winter the coal fired pot-belly stove in the caboose radiated plenty of heat and was used for cooking by the crews also. Those were some great times for me. Always wished I could have had a caboose in my backyard to use as a clubhouse. I did get to sleep in one as an adult though. There is a motel near Lancaster, PA which was made of of former RR cabooses. Neat place, stayed there a number of years back.

https://redcaboosemotel.com/

Some RR's did convert a small number to oil, but most were still burning coal till the end. When I was a kid I spent many hours/days riding with the RR crews on the lines near my house. By then the engines were all diesel unfortunately. But the caboose was still in around. In the winter the coal fired pot-belly stove in the caboose radiated plenty of heat and was used for cooking by the crews also. Those were some great times for me. Always wished I could have had a caboose in my backyard to use as a clubhouse. I did get to sleep in one as an adult though. There is a motel near Lancaster, PA which was made of of former RR cabooses. Neat place, stayed there a number of years back.

Yep, we stayed in a caboose on Fancy Gap N C, guy has 3
If you want a nice ride, go to Cass W. Va, they have the old Shays, worm driven, top speed 13mph, very powerful
22 mi. ride up the mountain, fireman, each car has a brakeman, it stops for water going up.
They have a caboose for rent on top of the mountain.

Yep, we stayed in a caboose on Fancy Gap N C, guy has 3
If you want a nice ride, go to Cass W. Va, they have the old Shays, worm driven, top speed 13mph, very powerful
22 mi. ride up the mountain, fireman, each car has a brakeman, it stops for water going up.
They have a caboose for rent on top of the mountain.

Never seen a Shay in action (not much logging going on in NJ :smile new:), only on static display at Spencer, NC. Closest non-standard type steam engine that I saw in action was at Mt Washington Cog Railway in NH. Never rode it but watched it close up a number of times on my motorcycle rides to the summit during Laconia race days. I will have to get to Cass one day though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_Cog_Railway

Never seen a Shay in action (not much logging going on in NJ :smile new:), only on static display at Spencer, NC. Closest non-standard type steam engine that I saw in action was at Mt Washington Cog Railway in NH. Never rode it but watched it close up a number of times on my motorcycle rides to the summit during Laconia race days. I will have to get to Cass one day though.

We stayed in a condo at Snowshoe, they have redone the old logging vilage and rent those.
Don't know much about those, just found about those when we got there, Cass is 6 mi. from Snowshoe.
State owns the operation and more Shays than anyone.
Spencer is about 25 mi from where I lived.

The guys at the RR get layed off in the winter, all but the engineers and conductors,
they work winters in the shop, the others go to Snowshoe and work the ski lodge

When I was a kid it was not uncommon to see hobos riding in the boxcars.

The old Ma and Pa Railroad (Maryland and Pennsylvania) ran from Baltimore to York, Pa- right behind my parent’s farm in Delta, Pa. Once coal-fired, it ran diesels since about 1940s-1950s. It shut down in 1972. For the 1976 BiCentennial, on July 4th, they rolled out one last trip, with a coal-fired locomotive. Set every wheat field beside the tracks on fire. All Volunteer Fire Depts, busy all day!!!!!