ABF | "snap back" feature

bad slavin

TB Lurker
Credits
Read the "snap back" feature on the Teamsters website. Do you think the company will bring back the 20 percent of the workforce and have to go back to full rate or will they force the current level of workforce maximum overtime as to keep the wage reduction intact for the remainder of the contract? Local 401 YRC workers are all over 50 hours a week. Drivers are still on layoff, while the other workers are running out of hours. "snap back ",, Really????

They will recall a large amount back just before the vote, and lay them off again after the vote to make that section of the 'agreement' void.

There were already provisions in place to say that if the economy turns around and the company returns to profitability then the wages come back. Granted, recalling laid off workers is an indication of progress, but to put this snap back feature in-when there is already a system in place to address a return to profitability-shows that it's another way the union is not all for one and one for all. It appears that the thinking is, "If I'm going to work for a reduced wage, I want all the work I can get. Calling laid-off drivers back might cut into my overtime."

This should come as no surprise. Our union has negotiated an 8-week wait for insurance each and every time that a recalled worker gets a bite of the apple with a return to work notice. Most non-union carriers have insurance starting immediately and they don't pay union dues. I understand that there are other benefits achieved through union membership-I'm not trying to start union/non-union debate!!

[quote author=CDL holder link=topic=79418.msg823776#msg823776 date=1271944874]
There were already provisions in place to say that if the economy turns around and the company returns to profitability then the wages come back. Granted, recalling laid off workers is an indication of progress, but to put this snap back feature in-when there is already a system in place to address a return to profitability-shows that it's another way the union is not all for one and one for all. It appears that the thinking is, "If I'm going to work for a reduced wage, I want all the work I can get. Calling laid-off drivers back might cut into my overtime."

This should come as no surprise. Our union has negotiated an 8-week wait for insurance each and every time that a recalled worker gets a bite of the apple with a return to work notice. Most non-union carriers have insurance starting immediately and they don't pay union dues. I understand that there are other benefits achieved through union membership-I'm not trying to start union/non-union debate!!
[/quote]Many terminals in the ABF system are already working men over the DOT limit. Everyone knows guys working 60 plus & having logs fixed hours carried over . hxp men running lunches & breaks how much more overtime can a guy work. you cannot repeat CANNOT make up what you have lost. We are being asked to work for 2004 wages & in 2013 when this runs out we'll be working for 2007 wages & trying to get a new contract. They will not call back the 20% they will continue to have you do 2 men delv. alone ground delv. with no liftgate. we lost one teamster brother excuting one of these turnkeys & you want to do this for $10,000 less. this company doesn't care about it's workforce it cares about it's stock holders ( nice dividen paid today how much did kemp & mcreynolds make on their stocks today)& it's profits we are nothing more than mules to these people who don't care about your family Z& how your going to be a man & take care of them.

Do you really think that the company will turn a profitable OR. and give money back. How more trucks,forklift,lots paved with the new money that would be give back. How about a new jet payed by employee's of ABF.