Off-Topic Snarkness, groovy topics{-15% of truth)

That photo jogged my memory. In the mid 1960's I used my little 1/2 ton Chevy wrecker to pull a PIE P&D tractor and trailer out of the snow to get him going. When I pulled up, the driver laughed and said that I'll never get him out with that little truck. I told him to call his office (Jersey City at the time) and get the OK for them to pay me if I billed them and he/they said OK. I chained the front of my truck to a telephone pole, ran the cable out to his tractor using a snatch block there and ran the end of the cable to another telephone pole where I chained it there. Using the the winch his eyes popped as I gradually pulled him out of the snow. Fun days long ago.

PS - PIE sent me a check for my efforts. Who knew back then I'd be driving for them some day.
ChevWrecker.md.jpg
Wow , that's a sweet ride , hope you kept it , be worth big bucks now days !

I drug a tri-axle Mack with a broken driveshaft home one day(about 3 miles) with my old 250 ci 6 banger 3 on the tree Chevy 1/2 ton and a chain, I wanted the air compressor, air jack, air impact gun and air chisel to get the old shaft off.

I drug a tri-axle Mack with a broken driveshaft home one day(about 3 miles) with my old 250 ci 6 banger 3 on the tree Chevy 1/2 ton and a chain, I wanted the air compressor, air jack, air impact gun and air chisel to get the old shaft off.
I equipped my 63' K10 wrecker with an air compressor from a Chev 6 cyl. truck tractor I found in a junkyard. The mounts bolted right up to my six and an optional harmonic balancer with the additional sheave for the compressor belt was available from Chev parts dept. I mounted an air reservoir to the frame and it gave me air for my roof mounted air horns (very important when you're young) and for inflating flats, etc. I actually towed a Cadillac from Wilson, North Carolina to Paterson, New Jersey during the summer of 1965 with that truck. Also, with the low range of the transfer case (4WD) I could do some fairly strong, short distance pulling when I needed to. Wish I still had that truck. It was a light weight, nimble 4WD vehicle even if a little light for some of the towing I did. I sold it when I bought the 1965 Ford F250 4WD in 1966 and had a Holmes body and hoist installed on it. Eventually sold the body and hoist and reinstalled a pickup body on it and kept it. I still have it, it's on my "restore" bucket list.

ChevWreckerNorthCarolina03a5fcfc67e92ba6.md.jpg

FordWreckerSnowf0b0b3f85edd12fd.md.jpg

We had a vendor that did tire repair, he rigged an AC compressor on his service truck that ran his 1in drive air wrench with that rig.
My F250 Ford wrecker had the 352 V8 engine and I wanted to do the same thing to have air on that truck but I never got around to doing it. Also never installed the 8' Meyers snow plow on it to also do snow plowing like I did with the Chev.

What engine and transmission in the Ford?
352 V8 with 4 speed plus 4WD transfer case with hi and lo ranges.

Not so funny story about towing with the Ford. Got a call to tow a delivery truck from Queens, NYC back to Jersey. Asked the customer about the size of the truck and he said not too big, just a small straight job. Ok, dummy me goes into Queens to get the truck and it turns out to be a 24' (at least) straight job. Holy crap, how the heck am I going to get this monster back with my little 3/4 ton Ford? Well after hooking and raising it up I noticed my steering axle was kind of barely making contact with the road. Young and stupid I gently began the trip across NYC, over the GWB, and into Jersey to my destination. I didn't have power steering on that truck but on that trip I could have turned the steering wheel with just my pinky finger! Sorta get the chills just thinking about it. :duh:

Fed Ex found a way to put the trailers on the rail 15% faster !
272301899_10226907418689478_8621038145863008916_n.jpg