FedEx Freight | So how is FedEx Freight as a company to work for?

futuretrucker1234

TB Lurker
Credits
Well I found this board a while back and was planning on getting on here to search today but all the old posts are gone. :(

So I just want to know what FedEx Freight is like to work for.

I don't have a CDL right now so was going to go with the Apprentice program advertised in the paper.

Been trying to get into Con-Way forever, not sure how much different FedEx is vs. Con-Way, seems like all the LTL would be pretty similar.

Also if anyone knows a bit about the training FedEx does that would be helpful.

Just need general info really. :)

futuretrucker1234 said:
Well I found this board a while back and was planning on getting on here to search today but all the old posts are gone. :(

So I just want to know what FedEx Freight is like to work for.

I don't have a CDL right now so was going to go with the Apprentice program advertised in the paper.

Been trying to get into Con-Way forever, not sure how much different FedEx is vs. Con-Way, seems like all the LTL would be pretty similar.

Also if anyone knows a bit about the training FedEx does that would be helpful.

Just need general info really. :)

Welcome to the boards futuretrucker.

I don't work for either company but from what I know about both of them, I would choose FedEx Freight over Conway.
this is partly for personal reasons and partly based on what I've heard from guys that work for both companies.

You may also want to try Yellow, Roadway, ABF or Holland. The pay and benefits are a little better due to them being union companies.

Overnite/UPS Freight might be an option also

Good luck

Well I'm from FXFE and the Dock to Driver program is great for a guy like you. I'll tell you it takes some time but when you are done it is well worth it and you have made some money in doing it , also saved money . Take a look and see what it cost to go to a drivers school and that will answer for it's self.
CFer is right about a little more money and union benefits , but I have been with FXFE going on my 11th year and have seen these Dock to Driver Associates come through the system and I think it is well worth it . I have not had one tell me that it sucked Smokestack. Give it a try you can always quit and go someplace else . Free drivers education ! How can you go wrong $$$
Good Luck / Smokestack - FXFE:TR10driving03:

So you work the docks to start with?

Any idea how well it pays?

I hate to jump right into that going to apply somewhere (doesn't look good), so any ideas on that would be helpful.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Not sure on how they pay the dock to driver guys, you would probably be at dock pay till finished with training, then go to driver pay.

There is a wage progression that takes 3 yrs to reach the top scale and dock is around 1 dollar an hour less than driver pay. Takes 3 yrs for a driver to top out also.

They usually offer the program to existing dock guys first but they may not have enough interest in the program from within and are offering to people off the street, ask who ever you talk to when applying, that's what they are there for to ask and answer questions.

I've been here going on 9 yrs and it's a fairly good place to work, our work rules are a little different than Conway and others even though we all move freight we still do things a little differently.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

FM

PS: Welcome back to the boards, glad to have you posting !

Thanks for the welcome.

I go tomarrow afternoon to apply so hopefully something works out.

I'm just interested in getting rolling with any good LTL company, IMO much better way to get into trucking than going OTR. Esspecially since can get paid while getting training with LTL, spending 3+ weeks training with OTR with no income...not something I can afford to do.

Any time,

Good luck to you, you're absolutely right about a much better way to get into trucking, better pay benefits and hometime.

FM

My husband has been with them a little over a year and a half. No real complaints really..
He already had LTL & OTR exp., but there are quite a few drivers that started on the docks and they seem happy as well..

Good luck!!:goodvibes:

ETexSanta said:
:biglaugh: Been here 13 years. Number one road driver in our barn and I still work dock. So, yeah, you work the docks to start with.

:mouse:
Not necessarily so out here in the west.
Line drivers don't work the dock and I don't think we ever will. Your 13 would buy you somewhere between number 33 and 39 in our barn. Even number 107 doesn't work the dock.:chairshot:

I am told that FedEx does not pay overtime on the east coast (what used to be American Freightways), but does pay it on the West Coast (what used to be Viking).

Is this true?

Fair&Balanced said:
I am told that FedEx does not pay overtime on the east coast (what used to be American Freightways), but does pay it on the West Coast (what used to be Viking).

Is this true?

I'm almost positive they they do pay overtime on the East coast.

Yes we do .
WE get paid for everything we do.
Dock , Drive , .....
Overtime after 8 for city.

In our barn the part timers make $4-5 less per hour then drivers. Also you have to be a part time dock worker for at least 90 days before you can enter the training program. I don't know if everywhere is the same as us.

Well I put my app in yesterday.

They told me if I did get hired for it that it could be a year or more before I could get my CDL. Also once I get my CDL I have to wait for an available driving position...?

A year is a long time.

Do it .....
You will not be sorry .
Still making money for what you are doing . How long do you think that it will take to go through truckers school ? Also not to say about $3000 or more for the classes
Do it trust me.

I know truck driving school does not take a year. :)

With the large number of people applying for it I not even sure if I will make it to the interview, but I'm hoping anyway.

Applying on the first day there were at least 8-10 others that applied also. 5 days this week so probably 50 people I'm competing against for this job. Lots of fun.

futuretrucker1234 said:
I know truck driving school does not take a year. :)

With the large number of people applying for it I not even sure if I will make it to the interview, but I'm hoping anyway.

Applying on the first day there were at least 8-10 others that applied also. 5 days this week so probably 50 people I'm competing against for this job. Lots of fun.
Think this over a job with Fedex through the dock program is a great opportunity. I am a product of a similar program at Gi and let me tell you the training is better and you have support of the company to learn it right. My opinion don't pass it up :bgroovy: