Yellow | Some Jimmies for you experienced hands

All our units ran these with the exception of some West Coast units, don't recall what the Helms ran.
The Kysers did a good job.
The Kysor Back Pack units were more than enough to keep a single cab comfortable. I think they would have been enough for sleepers. There was one driver however who often wrote up defect cards on tractors with the Kysor units. His complaint was "A/C too cold".

The Kysor Back Pack units were more than enough to keep a single cab comfortable. I think they would have been enough for sleepers. There was one driver however who often wrote up defect cards on tractors with the Kysor units. His complaint,was "A/C too cold".
They did a good job
The first few years the shop repaired compressors and replaced clutches, the later years they used throw-away compressors.

They did a good job
The first few years the shop repaired compressors and replaced clutches, the later years they used throw-away compressors.
Well the clutch kit is worth $150 and the compressor complete is $200........................
Everything on a truck today is a throw-away........................

Well the clutch kit is worth $150 and the compressor complete is $200........................
30 years ago they claimed they bought compressor with clutch for less than $100
Yep, long gone are the day when they had dash light bulbs.

The Sanden compressors are light & inexpensive. The claim is that they also take less power. The weight savings over an old cast iron unit is significant. Most classic car air conditioner retrofit kits use the Sanden also. It is much easier to fit one in a tight engine compartment than an old A6 GM or Ford or Chrysler Tecumseh compressor.

The Sanden compressors are light & inexpensive. The claim is that they also take less power. The weight savings over an old cast iron unit is significant. Most classic car air conditioner retrofit kits use the Sanden also. It is much easier to fit one in a tight engine compartment than an old A6 GM or Ford or Chrysler Tecumseh compressor.
Yes that is the current compressor of choice, I was thinking of the old cast iron Tecumseh vs the aluminum Tecumseh/York compressor Cummins held on to for so long it seemed to be the faveroite of Red Dot and Back Pack add on units. The iron one was field rebuildable and most of the failures were clutch related unless someone flooded it with liquid R12 while filling it or bypassed the binary/trinary switch and abused it to death :)

Yes that is the current compressor of choice, I was thinking of the old cast iron Tecumseh vs the aluminum Tecumseh/York compressor Cummins held on to for so long it seemed to be the faveroite of Red Dot and Back Pack add on units. The iron one was field rebuildable and most of the failures were clutch related unless someone flooded it with liquid R12 while filling it or bypassed the binary/trinary switch and abused it to death :)
Don’t you hate it, when some bastard does that?

I think I still have the dipstick for checking the compressor oil through the plug in the side of the Tecumseh compressor.

Last edited: