R&L | Some Linehaul Rates

That’s not backwards, all the other LTLs are backwards, R+L does it right. Most days my 48’ trailer has 16-19 deliveries, 90 percent of which come off with either a pallet jack or 2 wheeler, not to mention pickups. Also, I have to fight traffic, tight alleyways, and working outside in all kinds of weather, all the while fighting a lot of heavy, oversized, awkward freight and also having to hear customers complain to me on why I won’t take their safe down into the basement. Oh and don’t get me started with the sort and seg warehouses. Why should I be paid less than somebody who spends all night sitting on their butt? I never understood why linehaul gets premium pay at all other LTLs.
Guys doing P&D, paid by the hour, crack me up complaining about number of stops, type of freight, etc. Are you for real? You're paid by the hour, let that sink in. If you were paid by the stop I could understand your attitude, but let me repeat myself, you're paid by the hour. Just pace yourself and do what you can. Why in the world do you have any stress at all working that way? And for the record, I have many years under my belt working both in P&D and in line haul.

Guys doing P&D, paid by the hour, crack me up complaining about number of stops, type of freight, etc. Are you for real? You're paid by the hour, let that sink in. If you were paid by the stop I could understand your attitude, but let me repeat myself, you're paid by the hour. Just pace yourself and do what you can. Why in the world do you have any stress at all working that way? And for the record, I have many years under my belt working both in P&D and in line haul.
When I first started working P&D at Roadway I would go out on a Monday with thirty deliveries. I would work through my lunch and breaks to get it done. Then midweek I would go out with twenty deliveries and take my breaks and lunch and get all of my deliveries done.
So then one day I was called into the terminal managers office. He wanted to know why on Mondays I get thirty deliveries done in eight hours but midweek it takes me eight hours to get twenty deliveries done. I told him on Mondays I would work thought my breaks and lunch to get the job done and midweek I could get the lesser amount of stops done with stopping for my breaks and lunch. His reply was, the way your work on Mondays is how we expect you to work all week.
From that day on no matter how many deliveries I had, I would take both of my breaks and my lunch. No more was ever said.

When I first started working P&D at Roadway I would go out on a Monday with thirty deliveries. I would work through my lunch and breaks to get it done. Then midweek I would go out with twenty deliveries and take my breaks and lunch and get all of my deliveries done.
So then one day I was called into the terminal managers office. He wanted to know why on Mondays I get thirty deliveries done in eight hours but midweek it takes me eight hours to get twenty deliveries done. I told him on Mondays I would work thought my breaks and lunch to get the job done and midweek I could get the lesser amount of stops done with stopping for my breaks and lunch. His reply was, the way your work on Mondays is how we expect you to work all week.
From that day on no matter how many deliveries I had, I would take both of my breaks and my lunch. No more was ever said.
No matter how much you do, management always wants that extra once of blood.