R&L | Some Linehaul Rates

Ted Decker trk

When things are FUBAR, FIDO!
Credits
I don't want to reveal my location but I've seen on Trucking Boards and some other truck sites speculation on R&L pay rates. I thought I'd post this to clear some air for some folks.
These are full rates, we have a three year to top progression.

I am in the Great Lakes region.

We are due for a bump at end of April, so these might change in near future.

Hourly rate of 28.17, flat no OT

Linehaul varies by run, flat rate, no extra for drop, hook, fuel. There is extra $ if you do an enroute stop. We have many linehaul runs these are ones I have first hand knowledge of.

Actual gate to gate miles listed and actual cpm,

448 miles. .538 cpm
606 miles. . 563 cpm
448 miles. . 549 cpm
496 miles. .635 cpm
584 miles. .594 cpm

Not sure why they vary, dome terminal turn points are most definitely easier to deal with than others

Very interesting. Would you say the higher Cpm runs are more time consuming or irritating than the lower paid ones ?
The worst one with the longest wait time is actually the 606 mile one, the next worse in terms of delay potential is the 496 mile one. So .563 and .635 so no , there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason . Those two also have most traffic issues to deal with. The other 4 run places where AM and PM rush hour not much of a factor. The 606 and 496 mile also run several times a day at different times but both have cities to go through , interstate not surface street , that get affected by rush hour. The other 4 don't really have urban rush hour to deal with or have easy alternate routes to avoid rush hour.

i know they figure zip to zip, curious to see the figures with using zip codes.
Gate to gate that is. Slip points off interstate maybe different.

i know they figure zip to zip, curious to see the figures with using zip codes.
Gate to gate that is. Slip points off interstate maybe different.
I'll see if I can't do zip to zip over weekend, only 1 I posted is a slip, it was the 584 mile at .594. It slips at a truck stop a stones throw from the interstate exit.

Do the guys hauling thruway doubles make more per mile than what was posted above?
I think they get a premium for long doubles and triples . I'm not 100% sure. My barn doesn't deal directly with either long doubles or triples, we do turns into barns that do . I'll see if I can find out.

I don't want to reveal my location but I've seen on Trucking Boards and some other truck sites speculation on R&L pay rates. I thought I'd post this to clear some air for some folks.
These are full rates, we have a three year to top progression.

I am in the Great Lakes region.

We are due for a bump at end of April, so these might change in near future.

Hourly rate of 28.17, flat no OT

Linehaul varies by run, flat rate, no extra for drop, hook, fuel. There is extra $ if you do an enroute stop. We have many linehaul runs these are ones I have first hand knowledge of.

Actual gate to gate miles listed and actual cpm,

Not sure why they vary, dome terminal turn points are most definitely easier to deal with than others
I've added zip to zip mileage and rate as well as one slip I forgot about. The last two are the slips.
Actual. Zip
448 mi .538 cpm. 446/.540
606 mi. 563 cpm. 592/.576
448 mi . 549 cpm 440/.559
496 mil .635 cpm. 516/.610
584 mi .594 cpm. 598/.580
631 mil .610 cpm 620/.620

Zip to zip is far right figures I used zip of exit for two slips

I've added zip to zip mileage and rate as well as one slip I forgot about. The last two are the slips.
Actual. Zip

Thanks Ted.
My LH run is .531 by milage and .572 by zip, of coarse zip miles are less then actual. Thanks for the figures

Actual. Zip

Not sure how you figured these out but there is a "secret formula". Take your mileage and figure it at 50 mph. Then multiply by your LINEHAUL hourly pay then add an hour for drop/hook and fueling. It should put you fairly close. I believe most are around $26-27 an hour. Example= 500 mile run would be (50 mph) 10 hours x (linehaul hourly rate) plus 1 hour. Now if your figuring by mile then subtract 1 hour pay for drop/hook and fuel. Then you can figure your mileage.

You can make more in the city than at those low mileage rates. Isn’t that backwards? Shouldn’t graveyard shift get premium pay?

That’s not backwards, all the other LTLs are backwards, R+L does it right. Most days my 48’ trailer has 16-19 deliveries, 90 percent of which come off with either a pallet jack or 2 wheeler, not to mention pickups. Also, I have to fight traffic, tight alleyways, and working outside in all kinds of weather, all the while fighting a lot of heavy, oversized, awkward freight and also having to hear customers complain to me on why I won’t take their safe down into the basement. Oh and don’t get me started with the sort and seg warehouses. Why should I be paid less than somebody who spends all night sitting on their butt? I never understood why linehaul gets premium pay at all other LTLs.

Not sure how you figured these out but there is a "secret formula". Take your mileage and figure it at 50 mph. Then multiply by your LINEHAUL hourly pay then add an hour for drop/hook and fueling. It should put you fairly close. I believe most are around $26-27 an hour. Example= 500 mile run would be (50 mph) 10 hours x (linehaul hourly rate) plus 1 hour. Now if your figuring by mile then subtract 1 hour pay for drop/hook and fuel. Then you can figure your mileage.
I figured just as I said. I've run all of the runs listed personally. I took the flat rate and divided by miles off odometer. Presto! Cpm rate. The added zip code was because someone asked.

That makes no sense. Each run pays a flat rate. Only extra pay is for enroute stop which are rare.

That’s not backwards, all the other LTLs are backwards, R+L does it right. Most days my 48’ trailer has 16-19 deliveries, 90 percent of which come off with either a pallet jack or 2 wheeler, not to mention pickups. Also, I have to fight traffic, tight alleyways, and working outside in all kinds of weather, all the while fighting a lot of heavy, oversized, awkward freight and also having to hear customers complain to me on why I won’t take their safe down into the basement. Oh and don’t get me started with the sort and seg warehouses. Why should I be paid less than somebody who spends all night sitting on their butt? I never understood why linehaul gets premium pay at all other LTLs.
Because you get time with family, healthier lifestyle, and don’t have to fight to stay awake. Who Wants to stay up all night? Very few. I will agree that as far as workload and traffic goes LH doesn’t compare to P&D. You would have a stronger case if R&L actually paid P&D as good as LH drivers at other carriers get. R&L pays LH less because they are cheap and don’t value those guys

Because you get time with family, healthier lifestyle, and don’t have to fight to stay awake. Who Wants to stay up all night? Very few. I will agree that as far as workload and traffic goes LH doesn’t compare to P&D. You would have a stronger case if R&L actually paid P&D as good as LH drivers at other carriers get. R&L pays LH less because they are cheap and don’t value those guys
You call them cheap but I would put my average day against any other LTL carrier in terms of stress. I may make a little less , but I have a new Pete city unit, a predictable run, and very low stress level . They don't mess with me and I don't mess with them.

You call them cheap but I would put my average day against any other LTL carrier in terms of stress. I may make a little less , but I have a new Pete city unit, a predictable run, and very low stress level . They don't mess with me and I don't mess with them.
And you described my city run to a t. Others cant say that but Ive been here for 15 years and am 2nd in seniority so there is that.

It’s still the easiest money in the world for what it entails.

And you described my city run to a t. Others cant say that but Ive been here for 15 years and am 2nd in seniority so there is that.
Mine too, and it’s far enough away where I ain’t bothered with crap near the yard that those lazy asses won’t do.

And it’s nice to top it off with an extra linehaul run on a Saturday. My little Pete does pretty good pullin pups.