Estes | Some Ware house and manufacturing companies starting to pay close to drivers pay.

steercrazee

TB Veteran
Credits
Been seeing advertisement signs on interstate claiming 25 or more an hour for positions at certain companies. Just wondering if the trucking companies will eventually lose drivers to such places for barely keeping up with the cost of living and to mention the sacrifice of being over the road. I know this is on an Estes thread thats because they are lacking in some areas and ive heard a lot of driver complain about the pay or the lack of. Have even heard some say we would be better off with the Union.

Been seeing advertisement signs on interstate claiming 25 or more an hour for positions at certain companies. Just wondering if the trucking companies will eventually lose drivers to such places for barely keeping up with the cost of living and to mention the sacrifice of being over the road. I know this is on an Estes thread thats because they are lacking in some areas and ive heard a lot of driver complain about the pay or the lack of. Have even heard some say we would be better off with the Union.
I went into a QuickTrip store in South Carolina last week and noticed they had an ad up for help paying up to $18 an hour. I can live on that. I would almost rather do that than ride a fork lift on a cold dock for $25 an hour. I agree with your sentiments but truth is the pay is about the same here as it is at any other Ltl carrier. I have really started noticing OTR mileage rates are starting to get closer and closer to Ltl rates. I have several friends working at a data center making comparable money to what I make being out on the road every night. It used to be most of us were locked into trucking because the money couldn’t really be beat for our skill set, not so much anymore. I’m not all that nervous to lose my job anymore because if for whatever reason I did I could really easily support myself and family pretty quickly at a plethora of places elsewhere.

I went into a QuickTrip store in South Carolina last week and noticed they had an ad up for help paying up to $18 an hour. I can live on that. I would almost rather do that than ride a fork lift on a cold dock for $25 an hour. I agree with your sentiments but truth is the pay is about the same here as it is at any other Ltl carrier. I have really started noticing OTR mileage rates are starting to get closer and closer to Ltl rates. I have several friends working at a data center making comparable money to what I make being out on the road every night. It used to be most of us were locked into trucking because the money couldn’t really be beat for our skill set, not so much anymore. I’m not all that nervous to lose my job anymore because if for whatever reason I did I could really easily support myself and family pretty quickly at a plethora of places elsewhere.
This! This needs to be the battle cry for better compensation and benefits!

Switch to automatics. Cater to new drivers. It's all window dressing...Pay and benefits need to be at a level to keep good drivers in the seats.

This! This needs to be the battle cry for better compensation and benefits!

Switch to automatics. Cater to new drivers. It's all window dressing...Pay and benefits need to be at a level to keep good drivers in the seats.
No Automatics I hate them in the winter. No way I would have made it up Cabbage and Elk Mountain in the winter without chains in an automatic even the manual option not the same.

I know at my ball n chains workplace they're losing employees to Target. Minimum pay $15 up to $24 an hour. The dude that owns the Texaco down the street pays his employees very well. They don't quit. Never see a help needed sign

Wow thats about what I make on linehaul because I work at an inter city terminal and break and hooks are paid too low , I doubt the Wally warehouse job has the good benefits like big E

They were pretty decent when I was there. 100% match of a 6% 401k contribution, 15% match on Walmart stock and the health insurance is on par with what I have now at FedEx.

Is most of these other jobs 8 and skate and enjoy life ?
Lowe's is most of the time. Nobody likes to pay overtime unless they really need help. They gave my brother a $5 an hr raise at one time. He makes good money but he's been there for 38 years. No education, has all his bills paid. House paid for. Huge garage new toyota Tacoma 4x4. Over a million in 401k and no women to deal with.
Walmart was 3-12 hour days (Sat -Mon) or 4 -10 hour days (Tues -Fri). Weekend shift paid a differential so you were making the same as the 4 day guys at the end of the week.
Ball n chains sister worked there for years. She didn't want to work full time. I think they give 100% full benefits except for vision with part-time