Yellow | Something to ponder !

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
I read a lot on these board about the " old day's " well they are gone . Some will get this and some wont but the day's of paying two people for one job are coming to a end . How can a company survive in today's trucking market when the cost is almost twice that of other companies ? There is now a new mind set in the trucking industry that a line driver not only drives but drop and hooks and may even have to loads his/her unit also . Some will yell some will post stupid answers but today's super companies we are competing with are more efficient than YRC can ever hope to be . When a YRC driver sits in a break room for two or more hours a night while someone else hook's his/her unit what's the total cost for that time frame ? Anyone who has ever worked for YRC knows of the daily waste of money from paying waiting time the cost is also double when you figure your also paying two peoples health and welfare . That is but one small example of the daily waste YRC is facing .

Now in saying all that something else for you to ponder is this . When I started in the teamsters we use to have to do our own dropping and hooking back to docks ( both trailers ) and hook our units at the start of a shift and drop out at the end of a shift . So maybe the " old day's" everyone is talking about really isn't the " old day's " . Just something to ponder . R-14Driver OUT .

ya, copy the road drivers drop and hooks. Easy fix--if they don't want the work they sit but don't get paid..Smid got right to the point. A 'no win' would obligate them them to pay the pension in full and it ain't gonna happen bro. A no win would force a pay up in full or close without further ado. Only some will never believe it like..
blablabla.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with what R-14 is saying. I have said the same thing many times myself.

However, these things need to be negotiated fairly at the time NMFA is renewed, as these things have always been negotiated. I don't believe we should give YRC/YRCW a blank check to enact all the changes they want to, essentially in any way they want to, without us having recourse and without duress. Leaving the future of our pension in the hands of others and potentially losing it for another 5 years, giving up all the benefits negotiated for decades, in exchange for the least desirable things countrywide and prolonging our ability to negotiate and dividing our power to negotiate side by side with ABF are things that will ultimately destroy the all the advantages we enjoy by being Teamsters. I agree we need to compromise. I don't think a temporary agreement on some compromises until the next NMFA is a bad thing for job security and company success. I do however think the MOU in front of us does not meet the criteria of reasonable by any stretch of the imagination.

I read a lot on these board about the " old day's " well they are gone . Some will get this and some wont but the day's of paying two people for one job are coming to a end . How can a company survive in today's trucking market when the cost is almost twice that of other companies ? There is now a new mind set in the trucking industry that a line driver not only drives but drop and hooks and may even have to loads his/her unit also . Some will yell some will post stupid answers but today's super companies we are competing with are more efficient than YRC can ever hope to be . When a YRC driver sits in a break room for two or more hours a night while someone else hook's his/her unit what's the total cost for that time frame ? Anyone who has ever worked for YRC knows of the daily waste of money from paying waiting time the cost is also double when you figure your also paying two peoples health and welfare . That is but one small example of the daily waste YRC is facing .

Now in saying all that something else for you to ponder is this . When I started in the teamsters we use to have to do our own dropping and hooking back to docks ( both trailers ) and hook our units at the start of a shift and drop out at the end of a shift . So maybe the " old day's" everyone is talking about really isn't the " old day's " . Just something to ponder . R-14Driver OUT .

sometimes three to four people get paid while the driver waits. will be the driver's wait time, the switcher, and when the yard is backed up, a dockworker(combo) will come to the yard. taking this worker off of the dock will require someone off of the callboard to come in and take the combo's place on the dock.

sometimes three to four people get paid while the driver waits. will be the driver's wait time, the switcher, and when the yard is backed up, a dockworker(combo) will come to the yard. taking this worker off of the dock will require someone off of the callboard to come in and take the combo's place on the dock.

Imagine how much economy of scale we could accomplish if we eliminated the room full of guys waiting 3 hours for a hook. I can think of several times more than one of us in the room was lamenting that they could not go out, hook their own set and get on down the road. Again, the problem is we haven't been presented with a reasonable MOU request where we can choose that option.

You are correct waggs..the company dictated these terms but the teamster body of persons having authority were powerless to do anything but who knows maybe it could have been worse. I'm afraid all negotiations are done till the next time.
it's a take it or leave it thing.
do you want to work?
images

choose one

say no to drugs​

I agree with what R-14 is saying. I have said the same thing many times myself.

However, these things need to be negotiated fairly at the time NMFA is renewed, as these things have always been negotiated. I don't believe we should give YRC/YRCW a blank check to enact all the changes they want to, essentially in any way they want to, without us having recourse and without duress. Leaving the future of our pension in the hands of others and potentially losing it for another 5 years, giving up all the benefits negotiated for decades, in exchange for the least desirable things countrywide and prolonging our ability to negotiate and dividing our power to negotiate side by side with ABF are things that will ultimately destroy the all the advantages we enjoy by being Teamsters. I agree we need to compromise. I don't think a temporary agreement on some compromises until the next NMFA is a bad thing for job security and company success. I do however think the MOU in front of us does not meet the criteria of reasonable by any stretch of the imagination.

Great point. i would just like to add that these things were all part of a fair negotiated contract. If there were things that YRCW or any carrier did not want in the contract, they could have asked for these things to be omitted or changed. As I work for Holland and our work rules are different, I also know that if the changes, at the time of the negotiation, needed to be changed they should have made objections then.

I would agree on this point if not for this example(and not the only time this has happened)OKC/531
Sleeper Team on clock 1 hr.
Linehaul begs please close out trailers to get these guys on the road.
I go to Ops Sup on dock tell him im closing 2 trailers for team on the clock.
His responce "WE dont close partial trailers"
Trailer #1 10,000 MOL full to back
#2 needs 1 skid to "fill' 14,000
Our goal #17,000 per trailer
Team set 4 hrs on clock till the Magical skid shows up.
2 drivers $20 hr because our #'s are not what the want.
Not my fault the need concesions it stupid Management.