Soon to be driver?

DFW2015

TB Lurker
Credits
Am i better off going to school first and then looking for a job or should i do a pre-placement with C-1 Truck driving school and sign a contract with a company??

Am i better off going to school first and then looking for a job or should i do a pre-placement with C-1 Truck driving school and sign a contract with a company??
That probably depends on your financial situation. Most schools can get you financial aid but you'll have to go for 6 months (an accredited school). Bonus to that is more experience. Depending on your situation you could get a free ride. If you go through a program with a company you will be obligated to work for them (usually 2 years) or you'll owe them the cost of schooling plus interest if you end up quitting or getting fired. Never liked that idea. If you go to a school for the 6 months you'll get a better idea of what you may really want- local, regional, over the road, gas and oil, etc. .Most of the companies that will train you will more than likely put you over the road (OTR) so don't get attached to YOUR OWN BED, or kids, or wife/girlfriend. A lot of different opportunities there though that aren't available in other varieties of trucking. Gas and oil don't really want new drivers. They'll hire you but you'll be lugging pipe and long hours but it pays well. Best advice ...... talk to the human resources people at the schools after you talk to financial aid to see what kind of jobs their recent graduates are getting in your area.

That probably depends on your financial situation. Most schools can get you financial aid but you'll have to go for 6 months (an accredited school). Bonus to that is more experience. Depending on your situation you could get a free ride. If you go through a program with a company you will be obligated to work for them (usually 2 years) or you'll owe them the cost of schooling plus interest if you end up quitting or getting fired. Never liked that idea. If you go to a school for the 6 months you'll get a better idea of what you may really want- local, regional, over the road, gas and oil, etc. .Most of the companies that will train you will more than likely put you over the road (OTR) so don't get attached to YOUR OWN BED, or kids, or wife/girlfriend. A lot of different opportunities there though that aren't available in other varieties of trucking. Gas and oil don't really want new drivers. They'll hire you but you'll be lugging pipe and long hours but it pays well. Best advice ...... talk to the human resources people at the schools after you talk to financial aid to see what kind of jobs their recent graduates are getting in your area.
Sorry, I get long winded sometimes.

Does anybody know what would be the best trucking school(s) in Houston?

How long does it take to get license?

Thank you.

---
George S

Well, alot depends on the school,and then you.
Timing is EVERYTHING.The spring is a good time to.get started.
Many good companies start to look. So ask around. Don't know if you're
interested in city,road,bedbugging or food . Ask around. There are alot of people on here that you can ask questions. You might want to get a.job
where you're home everynight,or one where you get home once a month.