XPO | Speed increased to 70mph

For the record gentlemen, Our local here in Miami has advised management that we have no objections to raising the speed limit on the tractors to 70 MPH. I'm sure other locals will follow suit. It is an Unfair Labor Practice to deny union shops any benefit offered to non union terminals, once the Local advises that they have no objection to the action. I expect that they will be turned up in due course. Of course, the company can refuse and we'll wind up back in court, but eventually they must comply.

Anybody know the distance of the average line haul run ? Some one posted there are 450 to 600 mile runs. I'm assuming that this is round trip.

Milageage is the same but the time it takes me to run it has decreased significantly so I make more money for the time I spend at work. A pay raise.

Could you elaborate? Even if you had a 4.5 hour run every night, at 65 MPH you would cover 292 miles. At 70 MPH, you would cover 315 miles. That's 23 miles or about 27 minutes each way. Since only your dock time at the FAC is affected, you're talking about 13,00 per shift. Better? Yes, but not really significant.

If you can run at 69 miles per hour for the whole hour that's 4 to 5 miles per hour you ran than before correct? At at 66.4 cents per mile that comes out to roughly between 2.64 or more per hour earned. Almost like a raise

Anybody know the distance of the average line haul run ? Some one posted there are 450 to 600 mile runs. I'm assuming that this is round trip.

Could you elaborate? Even if you had a 4.5 hour run every night, at 65 MPH you would cover 292 miles. At 70 MPH, you would cover 315 miles. That's 23 miles or about 27 minutes each way. Since only your dock time at the FAC is affected, you're talking about 13,00 per shift. Better? Yes, but not really significant.
that's on the dock 25 minutes earlier each day(return trip doesn't effect dock time). 5 x 25 minutes =125 minutes/roughly 2 hours a week/2 x $28ish= $56 a week/ times 50ish weeks = $2800 a year

You can run all the number you want. The simple fact is this will hurt more than it will help. The only one this will help are those drivers that leave the barn make two turn and are on a 70mph highway and take an exit and two turn are at the FAC, or other meet place.
Were it hurts. when it rains, speeding discipline, lack of torque and horsepower.
When it rains or any other reason your wipers are on no cruise top speed 62
Remember all those roads you did 65 that are 50/55, 55 on a 45 well be ready to be call in on the carpet and sign that L.O.I also don't forget now they can get you for driving to fast in the yard. They now can GPS everything you do.
I drop my truck off at the shop for repairs and talk to the shop foreman. I ask him NOT to turn up my truck. I also ask about the torque and HP and man he laugh. He said they have cut any type of balls out of these trucks it all about fuel economic . Yea were are getting 15L engines but whats the point they been castrated.

You can run all the number you want. The simple fact is this will hurt more than it will help. The only one this will help are those drivers that leave the barn make two turn and are on a 70mph highway and take an exit and two turn are at the FAC, or other meet place.
Were it hurts. when it rains, speeding discipline, lack of torque and horsepower.
Remember all those roads you did 65 that are 50/55, 55 on a 45 well be ready to be call in on the carpet and sign that L.O.I also don't forget now they can get you for driving to fast in the yard. They now can GPS everything you do.
I drop my truck off at the shop for repairs and talk to the shop foreman. I ask him NOT to turn up my truck. I also ask about the torque and HP and man he laugh. He said they have cut any type of balls out of these trucks it all about fuel economic . Yea were are getting 15L engines but whats the point they been castrated.

Not at all. They can bargain for it- the rest of us had to beg. At least that's what the posters say. Thought union guys liked playing by the rules?

Well yeah, of course you're going to say that.

We didn't beg for anything that I can recall except for ot...guess a fast truck is way more important.
And it's still chicken sh!t when the motive is so obvious.

My tractor (2016) does 65mph with the wipers on. Just the cruise kicks off when you hit the switch. As far as the extra power that has been talked about. Meh, I haven’t noticed. When I talked to our shop before the changes started, I was told yes, more power in the top two gears. We also don’t have the software to turn up the 2017’s and newer. As far as making more money, our longest run is 163 each way and you can’t do 70 on most of the roads here anyway (traffic, hills, boarder line dangerous highways). Personally, I’ll like being able to get out and pass when I need to. Not much more then that for me.

I work linehaul don't get it turning up trucks makes me more money
I think it’s situational and depends on your specific route. Now wether their would be enough gain in some routes that are flat and straight with little traffic vs Routes that are hilly or heavy with traffic you might have a point. No doubt it will allow some but not all to get from point A top point B faster. Does this outweigh the newly added scrutiny by gps with added possibility of violations .Your still paid the same mileage rate. It was an easy give from management that really cost them nothing.

Last edited: