Yellow | $ spent in lodging???

Motel costs are write offs.Most of the freight on the laydown lanes arent paying cheap.so write offs and freight paying rates.Make it feasible for motel costs.besides if meet and turns come into play.There would have to be a change of operations

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

A write off is only good if you have a profit, all you save is the money you would have paid in income tax on the cost of a hotel room, since we have no profit we don't need the write off..................

Hotels are a tax write off. Wait time isn't a tax write off. Terminals can't get on the same page and get the freight out at the same time which equals a crap load of wait time. Organized companies can pull this off. Old D is pretty organized and don't pay wait time at turns, covered themselves by all angles of wasting money. Sucks for their drivers but they don't really sit and wait too often.

Wait time or wages is a write off just a different line as it's still a expense.

Again it's do-able if all parties want to make it work.

That'd the other part of the equasion I forgot about about. Instead of send a driver with mts just send the frt all the way through. No empty miles.

You're kidding here right? After you send the freight "all the way through" as you say, how does that driver and the equipment get back to the starting point if there is an imbalance in the freight levels in that lane? The driver and the equipment are all much too heavy for carrier pigeons to return them so they have to come back empty at some point.

You're kidding here right? After you send the freight "all the way through" as you say, how does that driver and the equipment get back to the starting point if there is an imbalance in the freight levels in that lane? The driver and the equipment are all much too heavy for carrier pigeons to return them so they have to come back empty at some point.

Rail?:biglaugh:

Sorry I couldn't help myself.............

If there is only freight moving 1 way then yes you are correct, but most lanes now think 309-135. 653 -135 have loads moving both ways odd numbers will have to go all the way through and lay down but I'm sure we have the ability to match M&T's and make it happen.

Even if freight is only moving one way (a large freight imbalance in the lane) both the driver and equipment eventually have to get returned to their origin. The only way this problem gets solved to some small degree is by railing empty trailers back to the origin. In the overall picture, both turns/meets and laydowns have the same imbalance issues to be solved.

I guess the point is it's not a solution for every run but certainly for many,

We used to run 211 every night, 2 drivers every other night if you ran one from each direction met in the middle and turned around empty or loaded it still the same amount of drivers and tractors involved.

Even if freight is only moving one way (a large freight imbalance in the lane) both the driver and equipment eventually have to get returned to their origin. The only way this problem gets solved to some small degree is by railing empty trailers back to the origin. In the overall picture, both turns/meets and laydowns have the same imbalance issues to be solved.

Put the tractor and driver on the rail too

Example. You have frt sitting at point A (Toledo Ohio for example) for point B (Stroudsburg Pa) but no frt at Point B (Weekend, Sunday shut down at the Breakbulk, weather, whatever) Why run a driver out on a meet 250 miles empty when you run the freight all the way through. Let the driver stay up to 14 hours for free and then send him back with freight to or through Toledo? Which is cheaper? Running a set of trucks 500 miles empty or pay a $30-$50 hotel bill?

I guess the point is it's not a solution for every run but certainly for many,

We used to run 211 every night, 2 drivers every other night if you ran one from each direction met in the middle and turned around empty or loaded it still the same amount of drivers and tractors involved.

Raphine was a nice bed relay till they closed it down. Nothing good lasts forever it seems.

Example. You have frt sitting at point A (Toledo Ohio for example) for point B (Stroudsburg Pa) but no frt at Point B (Weekend, Sunday shut down at the Breakbulk, weather, whatever) Why run a driver out on a meet 250 miles empty when you run the freight all the way through. Let the driver stay up to 14 hours for free and then send him back with freight to or through Toledo? Which is cheaper? Running a set of trucks 500 miles empty or pay a $30-$50 hotel bill?

While he's waiting on those 14 there is another driver coming direct from Toledo so now there are two drivers at Stroudsburg waiting for one load. One (or more) still have to come back empty if there is an imbalance in that lane. No way around it, no magic solution.

That still leaves Toledo short a truck :)

It's not a solution for every run, nothing in trucking works all the time due to varying freight levels but there are certainly some runs in the system that can be run this way, there are still a lot of local terminals running to breaks every night doesn't 158 still run 211 with 1 driver every night( 1 out and 1 back)?

It is my understanding that the write off of lodging expenses was removed from the tax code. It was seen as an easy target to increase revenue. I don't recall whether Bush I or Clinton was in office at the time. It was about the same time as Roadway initiated west coast sleeper operations.

It is my understanding that the write off of lodging expenses was removed from the tax code. It was seen as an easy target to increase revenue. I don't recall whether Bush I or Clinton was in office at the time. It was about the same time as Roadway initiated west coast sleeper operations.

It's still a business expense just like salary, etc. and comes off the revenue to determine ultimate profit/loss.

Start by asking why meet and turns didn't work.

First off, it would take dispatchers and coordinators giving a **** about making it work along with having definite cut times on the dock to close the loads out. Then having yard guys string and hook and shop guys pretripping all in a decent window time. In a good operation things have a chance but too many people don't care at this company for it to work. For what it's worth the relay handling our freight and linehaul can't even make a simple 190 mile turn work without having 6 to 10 drivers in bed every day. There is and always has been more freight moving north than south so empty miles are a neccesary evil but they'll call 6 guys out of bed for 7 pm to sit on the bench waiting for loads that wont be ready until 9 to 10 pm while at the same time starting 6 guys to run north with loads at 6 pm and they argue about who is going to sit all night long waiting to run empties after midnight. Poor coordination on the relays part as the 6 guys coming out of bed should have been gone to the relay with empties to get the later loads coming north before the 6 coming north even got there. Some of these guys are getting 14 hours doing a 190 mile turn because there is no supervising them at the terminals( there is a total lack of integrity on their part because of the lack of supervision and a lot of clock sucking is going on) and the dispatchers at the relay will sit on them at the relay for 2 to 4 hours waiting for loads while the other drivers are coming in right behind them. It's a Keystone Kop operation at best but they know best according to them. The waste is unbelievable but no one seems to care at all, it's been going on since the merge and there's been no sign of improvement.

First off, it would take dispatchers and coordinators giving a **** about making it work along with having definite cut times on the dock to close the loads out. Then having yard guys string and hook and shop guys pretripping all in a decent window time. In a good operation things have a chance but too many people don't care at this company for it to work. For what it's worth the relay handling our freight and linehaul can't even make a simple 190 mile turn work without having 6 to 10 drivers in bed every day. There is and always has been more freight moving north than south so empty miles are a neccesary evil but they'll call 6 guys out of bed for 7 pm to sit on the bench waiting for loads that wont be ready until 9 to 10 pm while at the same time starting 6 guys to run north with loads at 6 pm and they argue about who is going to sit all night long waiting to run empties after midnight. Poor coordination on the relays part as the 6 guys coming out of bed should have been gone to the relay with empties to get the later loads coming north before the 6 coming north even got there. Some of these guys are getting 14 hours doing a 190 mile turn because there is no supervising them at the terminals( there is a total lack of integrity on their part because of the lack of supervision and a lot of clock sucking is going on) and the dispatchers at the relay will sit on them at the relay for 2 to 4 hours waiting for loads while the other drivers are coming in right behind them. It's a Keystone Kop operation at best but they know best according to them. The waste is unbelievable but no one seems to care at all, it's been going on since the merge and there's been no sign of improvement.

And I thought I was the only one thinking this has been messed up since the merge.

Sooner or later the supervisor/manager issue has to be handled, right now they seem to be afraid somebody will quit and the lower cost replacement will be worse(usually is).
Sooner or later I think we are going have to police our own if we want to be the best and get paid the most it has to supported by something.
The European trade guild model is not a bad example, we need to raise the bar if we want to treated like the best and the brightest.
Go to work do the best you can each and everyday should be the union motto.
Management needs to learn to listen we have shown them before that we know how to get the job done but it's going to take time for them to relearn.