XPO | split shift

Night Tripper

TB Lurker
Credits
I have heard of a terminal in Ontario that wants to create a split shift for a bid run linehaul dsr. This would require the driver to work 2-3 hours in city operation, book off duty, and clock back on duty 5 hours later to run linehaul. Is this possible to acheive, given the hours of service regulations?

I have heard of a terminal in Ontario that wants to create a split shift for a bid run linehaul dsr. This would require the driver to work 2-3 hours in city operation, book off duty, and clock back on duty 5 hours later to run linehaul. Is this possible to acheive, given the hours of service regulations?
Not sure, but I believe Canada's hours of service are different from U.S. Good luck with that.

Years ago I worked a dock operation split shift at a class 3.

Came in 6:00 am. to approx 10:00 am. for inbound...went home and came back at 4:00 pm. till ??? for outbound. This totally completely sucked!!! It made no sense then and it makes no sense now. I never got enough rest during the week and the weekends were a blur trying to get caught up on rest. I never did see the logic in it and still don't to this day. I worked this crap for nine months before it was abolished.

It would make more sense to bring someone in early for outbound then run them short on LH and give them FIFO rights.

This split shift crap is an accident looking for a place to happen.

Rat :loser:

no matter what you do or if your getting paid or not...the second that you punch in, you have to punch out 14 hours later. And then you have to get 10 hours off before you can do it all again.

so in midirat's situation if he came it at 6am he will be available until 8pm no matter what he does in between. He will be available again for work at 6am the next day.

canada is strange though, so maybe they do things different up there, eh?

Came in 6:00 am. to approx 10:00 am. for inbound...went home and came back at 4:00 pm. till ??? for outbound. This totally completely sucked!!! It made no sense then and it makes no sense now. I never got enough rest during the week and the weekends were a blur trying to get caught up on rest. I never did see the logic in it and still don't to this day. I worked this crap for nine months before it was abolished.

It would make more sense to bring someone in early for outbound then run them short on LH and give them FIFO rights.

The first terminal I worked at had this available for a bid and it went pretty high on the seniority roster the first and second year. The third year it fell to the bottom of the bid board, and to the TM's credit, he did away with it because he did not want to force anyone into it.

Did it for six months myself. Ick!

split shift is great if you got too many points and you want to keep your job you only work the dock no drive time 4 hour in bound and 4 hours outbound