St Johnsbury Trucking Co.

Sun Oil screwed these good companies up along with a few more.

milne.md.jpg

As I remember Sun also bought Jones Truck Lines in Arkansas & milked it dry. The company was founded by Harvey Jones. He & his wife spent their entire life making it what it was. Mr. Jones was a good man to work for. Employees respected him.

That’s older than you super coarse
St. J never pulled doubles, as far as I know, till it neared the end…only vans for P&D and line haul. I distinctly remember that they had our whole p&d day crew walk out into our terminal yard to watch a drive hook a set. corporate’s idea was to be more efficient in moving freight like the big boys CF, Roadway, and Yellow who had been pulling double,( and even trips), for years. I think that they thought this would some how save the company.
yes they did pull doubles.Not until they put Milne truck line trailers into service.A lot off pups out of the metro area and in Ohio .They never applied to pull triples.Anything that went on the mass pike or the New York thruway was pulled turnpike doubles 90 percent of the time .From the 95 interchange to 290 interchange.They used every compound near a terminal.

I found it, it was a supermarket chain in the Northeast, with headquarters in Mass. I don't know how many units they had in their fleet. The company went belly up in 93.
You can figure the years & know I have been around for a long time.

Finast was First National Stores, a major competitor for A&P grocery stores in New England. I drove for Warehouse Transport in the early 70's, they were a contract carrier for A&P. The Great Atlantic And Pacific Tea Company, always liked that name.

That’s older than you super coarse

yes they did pull doubles.Not until they put Milne truck line trailers into service.A lot off pups out of the metro area and in Ohio .They never applied to pull triples.Anything that went on the mass pike or the New York thruway was pulled turnpike doubles 90 percent of the time .From the 95 interchange to 290 interchange.They used every compound near a terminal.
you’re right and I was wrong. I do remembering line haul drivers pulling double vans on the mass pike. Dispatch would send me to the DBA to grab a van to shuttle back to our yard , 025 .Shrewsbury/Worcester. Corporate just never had pup doubles in our area till just before they closed…that’s what I was thinking about.

Does anybody remember the company in the East called 'Finast'? They bought several ABF Louisville Fords. One was hauled back to the LR shop for engine work. It was painted red & also had the A/C removed.
Not sure if it was a freight carrier or a private fleet.
Finast was a food chain. First National Stores, my mom worked pt for them in accounting. They were In South Kearny,NJ. Also had to be a teamster job. My dad's uncle retired from there out of 560. That guy worked for Yorkoff Transport before the war, teamster job, but enlisted even though he was his mom's sole source of support. Wound up driving a halftrack in Patton's great 3rd army. Made it home in one piece and slid right back to his seniority spot. Great man, great story.

before and after
When did you obtain seniority with that company.They put on a additional doors to that terminal later on around 1989 or so.They we’re busy with Kendall and the drug companies.They had house’s right to the back fence of the terminal.It was a very busy place.

When did you obtain seniority with that company.They put on a additional doors to that terminal later on around 1989 or so.They we’re busy with Kendall and the drug companies.They had house’s right to the back fence of the terminal.It was a very busy place.
Made the list late 1984 or early 1985, the people in the back went nuts when they put the extra doors on, they thought they had a nice buffer with those woods, builder never told them St. J. owned the property