St Johnsbury Trucking Co.

There wasn’t many of those R models ,Like maybe 5 total.A guy named Sugarman out of north reading had one and one or two out of 016 and I think one out of 005 and the rest out of bellows falls.

Nice looking rig for a freight outfit.

St. J never pulled doubles, as far as I know, till it neared the end…only vans for P&D and line haul. I distinctly remember that they had our whole p&d day crew walk out into our terminal yard to watch a drive hook a set. corporate’s idea was to be more efficient in moving freight like the big boys CF, Roadway, and Yellow who had been pulling double,( and even trips), for years. I think that they thought this would some how save the company.
022 Moonachie ave.Carlstadt New Jersey I remember Shusters was right across the street

That was actually Pilot's terminal you're thinking of. Schuster had a terminal on Polito Ave in Lyndhurst. I worked casual P&D at Schuster in Lyndhurst often over the years. Of course after Pilot bought Schuster they brought the men and equipment into the Pilot terminal. I worked casual P&D and road for Pilot many times both before and after the Schuster buyout.

PS - And before St. J moved into the Carlstadt location it was occupied by Eastern Freightways where I also worked casual P&D and road occasionally. That was after Eastern bought Associated Transport. (Are you confused yet?) :smile new:
WOW! Great memories for you. Ever consider organizing them and other trucking memories into a historical narrative? It bet you’d find a lot of interested readers if you did.

SJTC was our interline partner at Northwest/Nationsway Transport for the east coast & it worked well. We loaded everything to Harrisburg Pa. as if it was our terminal from California. When SJTC closed Jerry McMorris, NW owner, made his fatal mistake & tried to do east coast on his own. We were gone in 1999.
Sorry to hear that hook. Just like I was crushed when St. J folded

Old Milne truck line trucks .They had air conditioning.The company had the mechanics cut all the belts.The didn’t take the twin screws .They we’re too long for the turnpike doubles.
Does anybody remember the company in the East called 'Finast'? They bought several ABF Louisville Fords. One was hauled back to the LR shop for engine work. It was painted red & also had the A/C removed.
Not sure if it was a freight carrier or a private fleet.

Does anybody remember the company in the East called 'Finast'? They bought several ABF Louisville Fords. One was hauled back to the LR shop for engine work. It was painted red & also had the A/C removed.
Not sure if it was a freight carrier or a private fleet.
I found it, it was a supermarket chain in the Northeast, with headquarters in Mass. I don't know how many units they had in their fleet. The company went belly up in 93.
You can figure the years & know I have been around for a long time.