Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pro1driver

I don't wanna go fishing, even though i got stuff
Credits
ok, as the title states.

i have had 2 chevy's, one ford.

i always liked the look of the old "box looking" dodges

then dodge (years ago went radical) and reworked the truck, to look like a kenworth.

now today's dodge, (yes i know it is called ram, but in my heart, they will always be a dodge), looks a lot better.

i do not tow, or haul anything heavier than some minor home stuff, like pressure treated posts, but i still like the at least 6 foot bed.

i simply HATE the quad cabs, of ANY of the truck companies. i have NO need for 4 full doors. an extended cab model would work for me.

of course too, as i still call'em dodge, i like my mid-sized V-8's....no namby pamby 6's, and certainly NOT EVER a 4 cylinder, even if it is turbo charged.!!

as we all know, pick ups simply do not get great gas mileage.

but, do i want a gas or diesel..??

we all know diesel is as bullet proof as possible, and can go for many more miles than a gas engine can, in it's lifetime.

so, what do you people have???

how has YOUR truck been..???

how is it equipped..??

did you buy it new, or used..???

how many miles on it..??

do you haul a lot of stuff, or is it a glorified grocery getter, like i most likely will be using mine for..???

No way in hell i would buy a new truck, I drive a 2006 GMC 2500HD, It's been a great truck. Owned a new 2015 Ram, Hated it.
yeah i know. my first new truck was a 1980 chevy C-10 deluxe, 3 on the tree, inline 6, stepside, no power nuffin, (strong arm steering) not even an AM radio..

but i loved it and it's price, of $3600.

All my pickups since 1977 have been basic, Ford or Chevrolet. The last
three I drove for ten years each without problems. I put 350,000 miles
on my 1992 F-150, then about 250,000 miles on my 2002 F-150.
About two years ago I decided in was time to trade in my 2008 GMC
basic pick-up. It is now hard to find a basic pick-up because they really don't make many anymore. I wound up buying a used 2018
F-150 extended cab pick-up for $24,000.00. Plus it has an EcoBoost
engine which takes some getting use to.
Over all I like F-150 pick-ups and my now 2018 F-150. I like all the little
luxuries that come with my STX model, especially the automatic up and down windows after working in freight for 36 years. And $24,000.00 ain't a bad price for a pick-up now ah days.

Last edited:
ok, as the title states.

i have had 2 chevy's, one ford.

i always liked the look of the old "box looking" dodges

then dodge (years ago went radical) and reworked the truck, to look like a kenworth.

now today's dodge, (yes i know it is called ram, but in my heart, they will always be a dodge), looks a lot better.

i do not tow, or haul anything heavier than some minor home stuff, like pressure treated posts, but i still like the at least 6 foot bed.

i simply HATE the quad cabs, of ANY of the truck companies. i have NO need for 4 full doors. an extended cab model would work for me.

of course too, as i still call'em dodge, i like my mid-sized V-8's....no namby pamby 6's, and certainly NOT EVER a 4 cylinder, even if it is turbo charged.!!

as we all know, pick ups simply do not get great gas mileage.

but, do i want a gas or diesel..??

we all know diesel is as bullet proof as possible, and can go for many more miles than a gas engine can, in it's lifetime.

so, what do you people have???

how has YOUR truck been..???

how is it equipped..??

did you buy it new, or used..???

how many miles on it..??

do you haul a lot of stuff, or is it a glorified grocery getter, like i most likely will be using mine for..???

C256E121-2CA8-433A-9E16-53775EE1E34D.md.jpg

I owned a Quadcab with the big 5.9 hemi on a hurst 5 speed. With the 265/70/ etc tires on the back I could fill the bed with cut firewood and take it anywhere almost. It got totaled when someone backed into it from the tailgate end. Twisted the frame just ahead of the rear axle. His aluminum F250 sustained no damage despite being a similar hit. Go figure.

I run a old mid 90's Tahoe with the rear seat disposed of. It has the 4x4 and proven to be on 2 feet of wet snow with 2 inches give or take of ice under that in the last storm here in Arkansas. It is NOT a super truck. In 2Wd it would not get anywhere because the weights approach 10,000 pounds. I am in the process of shopping it to make it ready for next winter, every month she gets something done. Last month it was new plugs, starter and fuel filter. Fortunately she regained her spirit and power starting up without trouble. Next up is replacement of all axle, transfer and transmission fluids, gaskets etc. In addition to front end work. Among other things.

Easy fix if you have the money honey so to speak. Not like today's crap computer trucks running on watered down desiel with god only knows what DEF etc you have to put in.

Many people here hold on to the older iron. Some dating to the mid 80's because they feature things that new trucks today simply do not get. (Manual locking hubs, lockers, manual transmissions etc and PARTICULARLY older iron Desiels that require no additives to run. They will run forever)

They pretty much quit making manual pickups etc. . I got my vehicle at 2000 cash paid off, and 3000 dollars later still picking on fixing this and that. She gets a DOT inspection annually even though we are a free state and have nothing at all. No emissions crap, no inspection, no special gas or fuel pumps recovering fumes etc etc etc. (Thank god) It will be a few thousand more until she is 100% DOT passed in inspections, new pads etc.

At that point the small upgrades from old analog headlights to LED models will begin. Cuts down on the power drain. I have a 200 amp alternator because the previous owner had used it as a boom box. It had a one inch stranded cable coming off it to the back which was the first thing I removed. .

Another would be nitrogen shocks. The old oil ones are just too bouncy.

My insurance agent is a bit of a wet towel. She deems the vehicle a crusher in wrecks. Oh well. I have additional insurance anyhow. Much more.

All my pickups since 1977 have been basic, Ford or Chevrolet. The last
three I drove for ten years each without problems. I put 350,000 miles
on my 1992 F-150, then about 250,000 miles on my 2002 F-150.
About two years ago I decided in was time to trade in my 2008 GMC
basic pick-up. It is now hard to find a basic pick-up because they really don't make many anymore. I wound up buying a used 2018
F-150 extended cab pick-up for $24,000.00. Plus it has an EcoBoost
engine which takes some getting use to.
Over all I like F-150 pick-ups and my now 2018 F-150. I like all the little
luxuries that come with my STX model, especially the automatic up and down windows after working in freight for 36 years. And $24,000.00 ain't a bad price for a pick-up now ah days.
and that's the thing, a plain basic truck, is usually a work truck, for say a cable company or utility company, and not easy to find as you too know.

kinda frustrating when they have nearly all the colors available, but not style or configuration of the truck itself. it's like, "you want it?", "if not, go someplace else"...

About time for a Earl Scheib $19.95 paint job.
c38c0c085dc2eabb1da78b14a004c3f5.jpg
I recall those ads.
Never had a vehicle I needed Painted from Bumper to Bumper.
High Pressure Car Washes washed off some "Earl Scheib Paint", from "reports" of Victims (Customers).

MAACO in Greensboro, NC latter '90's would "paint any vehicle....any color" for $149.95 or so.....completely......unless the Owner Masked Off What No Needed Paint.
They refused to paint our car because "I upset the manager"!

Don't Have, just HAD.

1978: had a 1959 Ford F-100 Long Bed, 3 on Tree, 292 V-8 into a Peg Leg.
Someone sometime way b4 I, modified the Truck with:
-- Twin 15 Gallon Saddle Fuel Tanks (with faulty manual Fuel Switch which caused a Fire and a trip to an E.R.), I guessed to backup the Factory 15 (?) Gallon Tank.
-- A Non OVER Cab Camper with Boot attached to rear window port.
Camper had Fridge, Stove/Oven, Sink (which held a case of Bud 12 oz. with Ice--important feature). Fridge and Stove were Propane powered, rarely used.
-- Color: Yellow over White.
-- Other Modification (or Stock?): 1 ton Rear with 8 Lug Wheels.
-- Front: 1/2 ton with 5 Lug Wheels.
-- Steel Bumpers.
-- 4 Headlights.
-- HEAVY Hood.
-- Factory A.M. Radio with 8-Track and 4 speakers + 4 in Camper.
-- Was a groovy part-time Off Road Vehicle until I saw a '64 Chevelle for sale/trade.
- - - -
Latter '60's Model Ford P/U Truck in '80 or '81.
Someone:
-- converted the straight 6 to a small block V-8 w/2 bbl.
-- Removed the Column Shift Linkage and installed a C4 Trans.
-- "Painted" the truck with Brown House Paint (to hide from something?).
-- Neglected the Rear Drive so I quickly enuf smoothed the Gears.

Early '70 something Ford F-100 in NC in '86 in Rutherford County, NC.
This other Nitwit and I removed the Long Bed, "lost" the Bolts, yet had no plan to replace the Bed. Bought Cheap. Sold Cheap.
It went away.
- - - -
Vehicles came to me to DIE.

I forgot to mention one flub in trucks.

I bought a little Toyota pickup. A cute little button with the 4 cylinder howler and a 5 speed. It was a 4x4. ON BIG BALLOON tires.

Going down the freeway maxed the engine at top end in 4th at about 48 shaking mph with the tires saying whupwhupwhupwhup UGH. Bounce bounce bounce.

I would have fixed all that with 4 standard tires but the state would not allow the thing to pass Inspection. (Too much rust it said.... and the plywood over the bed was not legal there. It would have been in another state without batting a eye...

I sold it off and pretty much got my money back. Before then it did take a road trip up and over Sandstone Mountain on I-64. Blew the exhaust doughnut gasket doing so. There goes the neighborhood.

Never again. There is one thing though. That little engine in there, was so basic under the hood with very little attached to it. You can almost run that thing in a post nuclear war and it will put away a million miles I bet you. What a shame.

There is one little flaw in that button. Put a big strapping trucker into it. Bend head over, hunch the back, suck the gut in, fold the knuckle draggers and put your knees to the chin. MAYBE it will fit.

The mid year 99 to 2006 GM trucks, Tahoes & Suburbans, are among the best trucks ever built. The engines do not have the 'Active Fuel Management' feature as do the 2007 & later 5.3 engines. I have a 2012 Silverado with the 4.8 eight cylinder which never had the cylinder cutout as did the 5.3. I think the last year for the 4.8 was 2015.
However the active fuel management engines usually do well if the oil is changed regularly. Camshaft problems are common however if the engines are not maintained.
I have a relative who has a 2002 Suburban with the 5.3 & has over 700,000 miles on the original engine & at last report was still used everyday. I don't know of any of the 99-2006 trucks that did not give good service. A friend has a shop & he said owners of that group won't sell their trucks because most are still going strong.
I also have a 94 Silverado with 315,000 miles & still going. I have been contacted about selling it & almost did till I started looking at used trucks to replace it as a daily driver/loaner. I just may drive it another 20 years if I live that long.

Another thought crossed my mind about problem engines. The Dodge 4.7 engine is not as tough as the earlier 318 & 360 engines. My daughter & son in law had one that developed lifter rattle about 80 K miles. Also the Ford Triton engines had cam phaser problems.
Trucks are expensive & hard to find in this area. Dealers have not received their orders for new trucks due to several production problems.

The mid year 99 to 2006 GM trucks, Tahoes & Suburbans, are among the best trucks ever built. The engines do not have the 'Active Fuel Management' feature as do the 2007 & later 5.3 engines. I have a 2012 Silverado with the 4.8 eight cylinder which never had the cylinder cutout as did the 5.3. I think the last year for the 4.8 was 2015.
However the active fuel management engines usually do well if the oil is changed regularly. Camshaft problems are common however if the engines are not maintained.
I have a relative who has a 2002 Suburban with the 5.3 & has over 700,000 miles on the original engine & at last report was still used everyday. I don't know of any of the 99-2006 trucks that did not give good service. A friend has a shop & he said owners of that group won't sell their trucks because most are still going strong.
I also have a 94 Silverado with 315,000 miles & still going. I have been contacted about selling it & almost did till I started looking at used trucks to replace it as a daily driver/loaner. I just may drive it another 20 years if I live that long.

They can’t be beat. My 2005 5.3 Tahoe Z71 4x4 with 205,000 and 2000 Silverado 4.8 4x4 with 195,000 and they both run like new. Never given much trouble at all. I wouldn’t trade either one for a brand new truck.
A4437A74-6C05-445D-A33C-22A9DEF7E1E8.md.jpg

Last edited:
They can’t be beat. My 2005 5.3 Tahoe Z71 4x4 with 205,000 and 2000 Silverado 4.8 4x4 with 195,000 and they both run like new. Never given much trouble at all. I wouldn’t trade either one for a brand new truck.
A4437A74-6C05-445D-A33C-22A9DEF7E1E8.md.jpg
I really think GM's sweet spot is between 1995 and 2006, they had the most reliable motors, easy to do repairs on, not overly computerized or engineered, they're my go to even if it's takes me months to find a clean low miler.