TForce | Starting a job: What's the real situation?

Future_Union_Man

TB Lurker
Credits
I am getting my CDL at the end of this month. The local Teamster head told me everyone starts off casual on the docks. I am a 44 year old man with a house mortgage. How long, really, does a new guy work casual? And how often, really, does a seasonal, casual job lead to full-time, permanent employment?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Not everyone starts off as casual on the dock. Don't trust your union reps, don't trust ups, and most important this is NOT the ups you think you know.
Good luck

When you get your CDL and if they do use you on the street you'll be fine. Good luck

What do you mean? I want to be a Teamster. Why shouldn't I trust my union rep? And what entry-level job do people get if not casual dock work? What approach should I take?

1St, at ups freight the job your are probley talking about is part time dockworker with cdl. 10.50 an hour. 3 m start time. 2Nd it all depends on what service center u will b out of, if ur barn has a amazon dist center, ur chances are good to get full time. Ask your t.m what he has planned for you. Aand ask a hand full of ups teamsters at the barn how long does it take to get full time. And we all are glad you want to be a teamster . Fyi if you become a company man, or a butt kisser, and think that will help you get full time and a good route, then you are barking up the wrong tree. There is law n order at a union outfit, if you get hired and there are 5 guys part time waiting for full time. They will get the full time first. Good luck, keep us posted.

When you say "three months" to start, do you mean it will take three months for me to set foot in the place after I get hired?

I am getting my CDL at the end of this month. The local Teamster head told me everyone starts off casual on the docks. I am a 44 year old man with a house mortgage. How long, really, does a new guy work casual? And how often, really, does a seasonal, casual job lead to full-time, permanent employment?

good luck ! you will need it.i would say YRC is in your future .

Just keep a positive attitude. It will be hard for the first few years, but many are retiring within 5 years or less, so you should be OK if you get your foot in the door.