State trooper's daughter killed in school bus crash with a Dump truck near trentonNJ

xanl/h

TB Veteran
Credits
CHESTERFIELD TWP., N.J
A boy being taken from the scene by his mother said "this big truck just came and slammed right into us." His mother did not want his name used. The boy said the crash left some of his fellow students with bloody faces. Both the bus driver and the driver of the dump truck involved in the crash were hospitalized, but neither was seriously injured.

State trooper's daughter killed in school bus crash, others hurt | Regional: Western NJ - Home

The youtube report says the bus hit the dump truck, but the newspaper gave the impression it was dump truck drivers fault.

Terrible tragedy for all involved.Makes me wonder about the safety of school buses.This bus did not look like multiple critical injuries and death should have occurred.

It's IMPOSSIBLE due to costs required to install Seat Belts in ALL currently operated School Buses (because monies allocated for such "improvements" is better spent initiating another war of attrition).
It's also not feasible to supervise All Students to Buckle Up unless ADDED COSTS are incurred for such Seat Belt failure to buckle up alarm or related contraption.

As with all other Vehicles, Seat Belts save Lives as well destroy Lives, so it's still a 50/50 deal.

Additional note; There are NO SEAT BELTS in City Transit Buses.

Another truck driver that is DONE, regardless of Fault.

The article said "the students were wearing their seatbelts".Though ,here in NC,I dont think our school buses have seatbelts.I would rather take my chances with my children wearing a seatbelt than not.As strict as state laws are involving seatbelt use,I would think it would be mandatory for transportation involving our children.

But laws can be passed requiring us to wear our seat belts and not use a hand held cell phone. Of course, a motorcyclist need no linger wear a helmet to ride in PA. depends on the lobbying effort and the depth of the pockets.

New York State requires all public school districts to have seat belts in their buses.
However the really crazy thing is no student above the 1st grade is required to put them on.
The parents can say if they feel their kids are safer with them,or not.

I do also agree that this bus doesn't look like it has the damage that there would have been any serious injuries?
With that said the most dangerous place on any bus is the very back seats.
Our school district try not to transport so many that anyone has to sit in the back of any of the buses