Stewart struck, killed driver with sprint car

Jack Knife

TB Veteran
Credits
Tony Stewart struck and killed a fellow driver with his sprint car late Saturday night during a dirt-track race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park, the Ontario County Sheriff's Department announced early Sunday morning
Sheriff Philip Povero confirmed the driver, whom Povero would not identify, was dead on arrival to an area hospital Saturday night and that Stewart was the driver who struck him. While Stewart is being investigated, Povero said the investigation is not criminal and that no charges have been filed. He added that Stewart cooperated with police and was released; the three-time Sprint Cup champion is believed to be in Watkins Glen, N.Y., for Sunday's Sprint Cup race.

Police: Tony Stewart struck, killed driver with sprint car; driver identified as 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. | FOX Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad, a tragic accident, but Stewart's a hot head and should be held accountable. I don't think NASCAR should let him race today. Why did he rev his engine under caution?

Sad, a tragic accident, but Stewart's a hot head and should be held accountable. I don't think NASCAR should let him race today. Why did he rev his engine under caution?

Maybe he was trying to swerve around him which is why we heard the engine rev up.
Seems to me both parties carry blame.
Needless accident though. And I don't expect to see Tony in the car for the rest of the year if ever.

Maybe he was trying to swerve around him which is why we heard the engine rev up.
Seems to me both parties carry blame.
Needless accident though. And I don't expect to see Tony in the car for the rest of the year if ever.

As of now he is still going to race today. I sure couldn't after having accidently killed someone 9 hours ago.

Kevin Ward Jr.

RIP driver.
2ymeguhe.jpg

They were saying that when guys jump out the car at you shouting and screaming your response, since you are in the car and can't scream back over the engine, is to goose the throttle.

What I saw was a very young man that certainly knew better, getting way to close to something that was far to dangerous.

A lot of young fellas get away with some stupid poo, this one did not.

Sky divers keep jumping out of airplanes. You're not gonna stop stupid.

This is a very popular dirt tract in my area,South east of my place.
I have gone to watch the Empire series there once in awhile.

I see everything that needs to be said about this tragedy has been posted on this thread topic.
So the only addition I will post is may the Lord have mercy on all involved & Tony as he knows in his heart if he tried to avoid hitting Kevin or not.

The Ontario Sheriff office has issued a request to anyone who was filming the race to turn in their media.
I am sure the authorities will go over every frame very closely.

How is racing today disrespectful?

If you were involved in a fatal accident last night would you be in the right state of mind to go back to work today? I know I wouldn't be able to keep my mind on anything other than that terrible moment when the accident occurred. It's hard to believe that Stewart will be able to concentrate on todays race. I'm curious to hear what the other NASCAR drivers think about Stewart competing today.........................My gut tells me he will voluntarily sit out todays race.

If you were involved in a fatal accident last night would you be in the right state of mind to go back to work today? I know I wouldn't be able to keep my mind on anything other than that terrible moment when the accident occurred. It's hard to believe that Stewart will be able to concentrate on todays race. I'm curious to hear what the other NASCAR drivers think about Stewart competing today.........................My gut tells me he will voluntarily sit out todays race.

Well I'm not Tony Stewart, neither are you. I've never been in this type of situation, so I can't say what I would do. I won't judge Tony on his decision. If he feels the most comfort in that car, then more power to him. What's his alternative? Sit and cry all day? Everyone handles stressful moments like this differently.
If you would sit out the race, thats fine, and completely understandable. But you're not Tony.

Stewart-Haas Racing VP of competition Greg Zipadelli announced Sunday morning that Tony Stewart will not race in Sunday's Cheez-It 355 Sprint Cup Series event at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen, New York.

The three-time champion was involved late Saturday night in an incident in a nearby sprint car race that left another driver, Kevin Ward Jr., with fatal injuries.

Zipadelli announced that Nationwide Series driver Regan Smith will fill in for Stewart, driving the No. 14 Chevrolet

Tony Stewart will not race at Watkins Glen | NASCAR.com