FedEx Freight | Stick with FedEx or Jump?

I agree to an extent but most of us “old dinosaurs” only know one thing...driving a truck.

Yeah, we know freight but who wants to be a dock supervisor (no offense to the dock supervisors :hide:)?? RDA...a dead end job with no power or authority (can’t even hold a meeting without permission) plus the cut in pay?? Perhaps maintenance man...half the pay but work 4 days a week sitting in the a/c all day and when a problem arises you pick up the phone and call a vendor to come fix it...hmmmm :scratchhead:
There is a seat for every ass. Too many variables to get into them all. A lot depends on background, like the O/P's I/T experience. Then there are the age/health/crossroad factors. The dispatch office doesn't appeal to me, but health concerns/issues could make it one option worth considering. Compared to a low stress semi-retirement plan of driving around in a pick-up delivering auto parts, that RDA might be a viable/preferred option. That position you mention in Maint. might be perfect, as well.

Not disagreeing, actually. Just saying to pay attention to all options. Opportunity often knocks very softly...

There is a seat for every ass. Too many variables to get into them all. A lot depends on background, like the O/P's I/T experience. Then there are the age/health/crossroad factors. The dispatch office doesn't appeal to me, but health concerns/issues could make it one option worth considering. Compared to a low stress semi-retirement plan of driving around in a pick-up delivering auto parts, that RDA might be a viable/preferred option. That position you mention in Maint. might be perfect, as well.

Not disagreeing, actually. Just saying to pay attention to all options. Opportunity often knocks very softly...
I saw a 38-year driver in his trophy truck the other day. He looked older than dirt. I guess being a Road Driver at that age is probably the best thing.

During a hot economy is usually the best time to take advantage of moving your services to a different company.

Has anyone researched a BETTER company to go to? If so, why? Does the company pension or 401K match influence your decision? How about seniority? What HOLD does FedEx have on you to keep you from jumping?

Trying to start a new topic. If I jump from FedEx Freight it will be to a completely different field so benefits between companies doesn't interest me any.

Why do YOU stay with FXF?
I was 18 years ABF city board in Indy. Good & bad their like any other LTL outfit. BUT, their are several things that a non union can't compete with. I never had any money taken from my paycheck for medical insurance for 18 years. Had 60 bucks a month for dues taken but not 60 bucks a week for family medical coverage. Had a new knee in 2014. Central States paid for everything but 700.00 bucks. Try that with your current insurance. Under a collective bargaining agreement, there are work rules that help, and then there are grievances that you can file to protect your job. Sometimes you don’t file because there are very minor & you are guilty. Most of the time the rank & file policed themselves, stopping a trip to the office for a meeting. Unjust firing under a CBA is a rare thing. Without a CBA, good luck with that. The Central States Pension fund is hurting bad. But so is the state Illinois (160 billion underfunded) & about every other public or private Fund. The pay is about 22 bucks an hour & full pay about 24.50 after 1 year. No matter your thoughts about a union job, you are @ work for the money & the benefits for your family. If you have medical issues or see them coming, a job with ABF is about the best around. Forget about the pay for a moment. Find a company. Then, find out their benefits. What is the deductible for you, for the wife, for the kids? Does anybody have a chronic condition? My last 6 months before I retired I got 323.00 each week for short term disability (not job related). Does your company pay something similar? Need an MRI. Go to one approved by Central States, & it is free. Most others cost between 400 & 1400 bucks depending on your coverage. Now days it is a drivers market. Take the time to research the company you might jump ship to. But before you do, make sure of your benefits. Under contract, the company can’t change your coverage until the next contract. A non union company can change it over night with a potential cost to you in the thousands. Whatever you do, practice the Boy Scout Motto (Be Prepared). von.

I left because of insurance. You can make more then some companies but if you actually have to use the insurance you will be paying out the ass. Everyone has a story. They screwed me bad. I'm alot happier now knowing I have job security good benefits and a real pension.

I worked at UPS for 7 years. Trust me Fedex Frieght is WAY better than UPS. Going on 12 years with FDXF and loving it. I would never leave as I’m at top pay and all the benefits I would hate to start over somewhere else.