Still the best

Best job I ever had. 037
Yeah, SJTC was the best as far as I'm concerned! Before I got on the list at 025 Worcester, Ma., I only had 4 years of driving experience in a straight job for a local mfg. company who asked me to bring their product to the local St. J dock in Shrewsbury to get a discount. Well, I started looking around at this dock work and said to myself, "I can do this kind of work". So I approached the TM and asked if I could work their dock part time. She put me on in Aug. of 85 and then got me my straight job license in the spring of 86 and put me on full time. Then over the next 4 years, I worked a 02;00 am start and picked up trailer driving,(backing in the line haul and shuttle van trucks ),while working the I/b before filling up my straight job for my peddle run. Then I finally got my class 1 and got an unassigned 08:30 peddle in 1989. I enjoyed all the new pay and benefits till the roof fell in in June of 93. But the Lord's been good to me... cause I got to get hired back at 025's old building w/ Conway, (CCX), when they bought the building in 1994. I've been w/ Conway now for almost 22 years. And just recently Conway was bought out by XPO Logistics.. I just tell all these new kids that are coming on when they ask me how long I've been here... I just tell them..."Let's just say... I came w/ the building. So there you have my story... if it wasn't for SJTC I wouldn't have had such a good ,life... and I am truly thankful during this thanksgiving season to the Lord and a few people who cared enough to promote my career.

You must have been hired by LuAnne. 025 was one of the most profitable terminals, usually operating in the 70's. I used to pass through Worcester quite often as a road driver out of 016.
Yup, I was hired by LuAnn W. part time in Aug. of 85 like I said. She was a tough cookie. If you worked hard for her and did what she asked of you..she looked out for you and took care of you. But if you crossed her, her fangs would come out and made your life miserable. Over all she was a good egg and I never had any problem w/ her. I really liked her. Other drivers at 025 would ask me how I ever got hired in the 1st place w/ no license and no freight experience. I'd just smile at them and say that it was basically LuAnn's doing...and it really was. I owe her a lot.

By the way where was 016 located? I remember that the worst inbound loads that we had to strip came from either 021 or 022. Pennsauken or Carlstadt, NJ if my memory serves me correct. No offense intended if that was your home terminal, but those loads were terrible.

• I worked @ 016 Scarborough,Me. it was a 50 door mini break bulk in the Portland area.
  • Pennsauken N.J. 002 was the Philly market, Carlstadt N.J. was 022. Lincoln R.I. was 021
  • Overall break loads were very good at this company,( not like YRC ) the occasional problems were 046 Bridgeport Ct, 023 Maspeth N.Y.
  • and 022

You must have been hired by LuAnne. 025 was one of the most profitable terminals, usually operating in the 70's. I used to pass through Worcester quite often as a road driver out of 016.
Yup, I was hired by LuAnn W. part time in Aug. of 85 like I said. She was a tough cookie. If you worked hard for her and did what she asked of you..she looked out for you and took care of you. But if you crossed her, her fangs would come out and made your life miserable. Over all she was a good egg and I never had any problem w/ her. I really liked her. Other drivers at 025 would ask me how I ever got hired in the 1st place w/ no license and no freight experience. I'd just smile at them and say that it was basically LuAnn's doing...and it really was. I owe her a lot.

By the way where was 016 located? I remember that the worst inbound loads that we had to strip came from either 021 or 022. Pennsauken or Carlstadt, NJ if my memory serves me correct. No offense intended if that was your home terminal, but those loads were terrible.
  • I worked @ 016 Scarborough,Me. it was a 50 door mini break bulk in the Portland area.
  • Pennsauken N.J. 002 was the Philly market, Carlstadt N.J. was 022. Lincoln R.I. was 021
  • Overall break loads were very good at this company,( not like YRC ) the occasional problems were 046 Bridgeport Ct, 023 Maspeth N.Y.
  • and 022
Yeah, thanks for the help w/ the locations and their corresponding number id's, it's been over 22 years since this old grey headed driver had to think about them all on a daily basis. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it was 022- Carlstadt, NJ loads that everybody dreaded getting assigned to strip. I remember we used to get loads w/ dishes and plates wrapped in individual packages, thousands of them on one van that looked like they were blown into the truck w/ a hose. Awful!!!

• and 022

You know Phil Cloutier?

Royal Dalton came from carlstadt 022 Corning ware came from 036 Elmira

davol medical products from cranston ri was one of the above mentioned shipped every piece of freight loose. 021

Last edited:

Hold the phone... I think it was Plainfield, NJ that everybody dreaded working I/b on.at was
Plainfield's code?
Where ever those dishes and plates came from...they were horrible to strip out. Just sayin'
It just came to me ... I think that it was Plainfield, NJ that everyone dreaded working their I/b. Anybody remember what number code Plainfield, NJ was?

Hold the phone... I think it was Plainfield, NJ that everybody dreaded working I/b on.at was
Plainfield's code?
It just came to me ... I think that it was Plainfield, NJ that everyone dreaded working their I/b. Anybody remember what number code Plainfield, NJ was?
038 South Plainfield ,kendel hospital supplies and about 5 different drug companies.It's were most of the garbage freight came from.It beat handling Philadelphia carpet and United supplies (Grossmans )from 004 any day.

038 South Plainfield ,kendel hospital supplies and about 5 different drug companies.It's were most of the garbage freight came from.It beat handling Philadelphia carpet and United supplies (Grossmans )from 004 any day.
You guys had garbage too.Casual male stores and Value Rite (McKesson) all free inside delivery.

Yah thanks..I do now remember all that 'kendel' garbage freight. thousands of ctns. loose in those loads.

I didn't work for St. J. but after they closed Scotty B. from S. Plainfield came to work for us as a TM. I can honestly say he was the best man I ever worked for in my 41 year LTL freight career

You know Phil Cloutier?
I have worked 39 years, for seven LTL carrriers (all under union contracts) far and away the best operations manager, and or dispatcher was Phil Cloutier. Keep in mind,these where the days before handhelds and cellphones, he always managed to have his 60 to 70 p&d drivers up to date on where they needed to be. Thats a lot of time on the phone. Phil went on to Roadway Express after the shutdown of the late but great St,Johnsbury Trucking Co. He retired about one year before the YRC cutover.