Still the best

Plainfield,N.J. was terminal 038, If memory serves me correctly, it was closed down in 1987 or 88.
Some of that territory went to 022, and I think the rest was covered by a new termiinal somewhere north of S.Plainfield.

Plainfield,N.J. was terminal 038, If memory serves me correctly, it was closed down in 1987 or 88.
Some of that territory went to 022, and I think the rest was covered by a new termiinal somewhere north of S.Plainfield.
Your thinking of Booton New Jersey driver.068 they closed in or about 1989 arfter they lost AT&T sufferen New York ,they also had a large drug account in Wayne.

I have worked 39 years, for seven LTL carrriers (all under union contracts) far and away the best operations manager, and or dispatcher was Phil Cloutier. Keep in mind,these where the days before handhelds and cellphones, he always managed to have his 60 to 70 p&d drivers up to date on where they needed to be. Thats a lot of time on the phone. Phil went on to Roadway Express after the shutdown of the late but great St,Johnsbury Trucking Co. He retired about one year before the YRC cutover.

I worked with Phil at Roadway. Ran into him and his wife about a year ago at the IHOP in S. Portland, he hasn't worked a day since his retirement and is doing well, looked about the same as he did his last day at Roadway. I used to kid him that I was going to nominate him for terminal manager because he knew more about the freight business than the knuckleheads running the place. He was a funny guy if you got him, which wasn't easy, he was in psychological operations in Viet Nam so he was a little twisted.

We had a lot of radio shack in new england and my back still remembers those long heavy wiremold stringers, i think they came out of w hartford.
Brooklyn street warehouse Rocky Hill,ct.We put the labels on.and stripped loose cartons off wagons and onto the floor,very labor intensive.If you were a tall guy your back would feel it.We picked up about 40,000 per day.Most of the freight went threw Syracuse and onto Michigan and northern Ohio.Those were the days

Went into so plainfield nj one night for a turn from pvd 021 and it usually took a while for the switch. usual bs. well after two hours i inquired about my hook and no one knew crap, so i went outside in the yard and found my tractor with the bat wings all crushed and parked against the fence.
Seems the guy who hooked the units overran the pin and crushed the wings (it was an international) and just left it and went back on the dock, well unfortunately they did not appreciate this and fired the dude on the spot.I felt bad about the whole situation but it wasn't the first time that had happened to this switcher.

Oh and how did I forget Tucker house wares from lemonster mass ,What garbage,I handled enough of that crap.025 had some finger print freight.But of coarse all you guys did was dropped a box.
Oh yeah... tucker house ware plastics was all loose ctns. About 15-20 different consignees on one stuffed van w/ tiny barely legible ink printed consignee names stamped on each ctn. So not only did you have to handle each and every ctn. , but you had to twist it around looking for that small consignee name. What a pain in the butt and real garbage for sure and sorry that you had to deliver it. It was relatively easy duty going up to Leominster and doing the drop and swap. But guess who had to spend half the night stripping that trash freight for o/b?...the guy who did the drop and swap.

Went into so plainfield nj one night for a turn from pvd 021 and it usually took a while for the switch. usual bs. well after two hours i inquired about my hook and no one knew crap, so i went outside in the yard and found my tractor with the bat wings all crushed and parked against the fence.
Seems the guy who hooked the units overran the pin and crushed the wings (it was an international) and just left it and went back on the dock, well unfortunately they did not appreciate this and fired the dude on the spot.I felt bad about the whole situation but it wasn't the first time that had happened to this switcher.

You linehaul guys used to run the system mostly right? Out for the week?

Where was the Providence terminal, way back I think it was in Pawtucket but if I remember right you took over the old Johnson Motor Lines terminal on the Washington Highway in Lincoln RI right.

You linehaul guys used to run the system mostly right? Out for the week?
I was a castaway from holmes trans in framingham ma. so was on the bottom of the list, i never spent more than one night out on the road staying in a hotel, some of the senior men stayed out in the system if they liked.

Where was the Providence terminal, way back I think it was in Pawtucket but if I remember right you took over the old Johnson Motor Lines terminal on the Washington Highway in Lincoln RI right.
Yeah youre right it was a 40 door or so terminal and the they expanded it to 60 doors around 1990.
Currently ups freight is located there.
You must be older than me (67) because johnson hasn't been in that building since (guess) 1979.

thats right it was in pawtucket back in the day, but moved to lincoln ri sometime late 70's or early 80's.

Yeah youre right it was a 40 door or so terminal and the they expanded it to 60 doors around 1990.
Currently ups freight is located there.
You must be older than me (67) because johnson hasn't been in that building since (guess) 1979.

I'm 64, back in 79 I was running linehaul for Roadway out of Pa. the Roadway Prov. terminal was almost across the street from Johnson. I used to get that trip a lot because I was a junior guy and nobody wanted to run across the goat trail from 84 in Conn. over to Providence.
Holmes was another good company, it's a shame what happened.

There was a Saint Jay driver I used to run into at the 84 Diner in Fishkill NY that ran an old Freigtliner longnose single axle long after they got rid of most of them, I think he may have been out of the Albany area, said they wanted to give him a new tractor but he told them he wanted to drive the Freightliner til he retired. I think he only had a couple years to go at the time. Nice guy, I enjoyed sitting down for a meal with him.

I'm 64, back in 79 I was running linehaul for Roadway out of Pa. the Roadway Prov. terminal was almost across the street from Johnson. I used to get that trip a lot because I was a junior guy and nobody wanted to run across the goat trail from 84 in Conn. over to Providence.
Holmes was another good company, it's a shame what happened.
I know that area well, after yellow and rdwy merged rdwy moved into the yellow barn,and then new penn and yrc swapped trminals.
Currently the old rdwy terminal on washington hwy is occupied by central transport.

There was a Saint Jay driver I used to run into at the 84 Diner in Fishkill NY that ran an old Freigtliner longnose single axle long after they got rid of most of them, I think he may have been out of the Albany area, said they wanted to give him a new tractor but he told them he wanted to drive the Freightliner til he retired. I think he only had a couple years to go at the time. Nice guy, I enjoyed sitting down for a meal with him.
Those long nose freight shakers were from Milne truck lines.We got them when Sun oil closed them in 87 and they were making money..The driver you are talking about Nick name was bones ,He was a doubles driver out of newberg. 031 doubles drivers could run 530 miles every night while everyone else was at 500 .If you were a doubles driver they never took your tractor

Oh and how did I forget Tucker house wares from lemonster mass ,What garbage,I handled enough of that crap.025 had some finger print freight.But of coarse all you guys did was dropped a box.

Yeah RB, I remember picking up that trash freight from 'Casual Male'. It's a good thing that I was a younger man back then cause I sure couldn't wheel all those huge ctns. onto a trailer now a days; besides they're long gone out of business just like SJTC is too.