ABF | Stl (st. Louis) Hiring Road Drivers

luci

TB Lurker
Credits
To my understanding STL has not had road drivers for awhile.

I work for a large national LTL freight carrier (non union). My record and experience will be no issue.

Where I am road drivers go anywhere at anytime and are considered available after a reset.

Reasons for leaving:
-No company contribution to 401k
-pay freeze
-an hour and a half to two hours of unpaid work a night
-very intrusive use of cameras and microphones on driver. (No time to detail the granular scrutiny of what we do and say)

I could go on and on but that's easy stuff to put down.

I have sent in my application. It was screened. HR asked for my social security number. My question is, what should I know about the company?

My concerns are:
-how are the driver cameras used? (If you had no cameras I would probably not even be on here I would take the job if offered)
-home time
-work availability (I can handle some time off, but I mean in general terms)

Anything else any of you think I should know please chime in.

Thank you for your time ,
L

I work for a large national LTL freight carrier (non union). My record and experience will be no issue.

Where I am road drivers go anywhere at anytime and are considered available after a reset.

Reasons for leaving:
-pay freeze
-very intrusive use of cameras and microphones on driver. (No time to detail the granular scrutiny of what we do and say)

I have sent in my application. It was screened. HR asked for my social security number. My question is, what should I know about the company?

My concerns are:
-how are the driver cameras used? (If you had no cameras I would probably not even be on here I would take the job if offered)
-home time

L
Make it simple or complicated. Control your own destiny. Become a Owner / Operator. Then you, not the company make all the decisions. But do not forget, your are now the company as soon as you bought your truck. Most important based on you post, you control the camera operation. Welcome to trucking 2020. von.

Make it simple or complicated. Control your own destiny. Become a Owner / Operator. Then you, not the company make all the decisions. But do not forget, your are now the company as soon as you bought your truck. Most important based on you post, you control the camera operation. Welcome to trucking 2020. von.

Thanks for the response. I am inquiring about the cameras being used in ABF trucks.

Having grown up in a family of owner-operaters I saw first hand "controlling your own destiny" is a delusion. The world doesn't work that way. Like it or not there are more inputs to the equation than self.

We have only forward facing cameras. No sound (supposedly). 100% health care and pension. Road trucks are always the new trucks.
Driver050319,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate that. I have had forward facing cameras and G-sensors for a long time. I'm comfortable with them.

If anyone else wants to respond about ABF in general or STL ABF in particular I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Driver050319,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate that. I have had forward facing cameras and G-sensors for a long time. I'm comfortable with them.

If anyone else wants to respond about ABF in general or STL ABF in particular I would appreciate it.

Thanks
I’m not ABF, but forget theO/O route. Especially right now. Rates are in the toilet. Go to ABF, don’t worry about cameras, not getting paid for what you do, and get good pay, and benefits. Start a 401, get experience with freight. You will, I’m sure work weekends starting out.

Reasons for leaving:
-pay freeze

My concerns are:
-home time

L
Sorry Luci. Replied to wrong post. Read above. Thx

I’m not ABF, but forget theO/O route. Especially right now. Rates are in the toilet. Go to ABF, don’t worry about cameras, not getting paid for what you do, and get good pay, and benefits. Start a 401, get experience with freight. You will, I’m sure work weekends starting out.
I do the free work at Saia as a linehaul driver. Thanks for the heads up on weekend work. I'm cool with weekends. Being the new guy I will do what is left over.

Grea
I do the free work at Saia as a linehaul driver. Thanks for the heads up on weekend work. I'm cool with weekends. Being the new guy I will do what is left over.
Great attitude to have when just starting and on the bottom. I was City P & D at ABF before I retired a few years ago. You will make excellent money and the benefits are stellar...100% company-paid medical/dental/vision. I think it becomes effective on the first of the month following your first two full months. Example: Hire date 7/23, insurance effective 10/1. Someone correct me if that’s wrong. Pension contributions total about 15-16K per year last I heard. Union dues are about $65/month.

Grea

Great attitude to have when just starting and on the bottom. I was City P & D at ABF before I retired a few years ago. You will make excellent money and the benefits are stellar...100% company-paid medical/dental/vision. I think it becomes effective on the first of the month following your first two full months. Example: Hire date 7/23, insurance effective 10/1. Someone correct me if that’s wrong. Pension contributions total about 15-16K per year last I heard. Union dues are about $65/month.
Thanks Grea,

I appreciate the information. From my encounters on the road ABF drivers are pleasant and cordial.

I read through the recent thread on Kansas City terminal. It sounds like it's great atmosphere. Hopefully St. Louis is also.

The cameras at ABF are a controversial issue, with the company trying to just impose them with no contractual input.
Still in negotiation,......but recent rulings in different courts are forcing companies to re-evaluate privacy and proprietary issues.

I don’t see them in the future......

I’m also retired.......ABF was a great job. After bouncing from job to job,....having 9 carriers close while employed with them,....and spending 9 years as an O/O......the TM who hired me said this would be the job I retired from.....
I looked at him with a jaded and jaundiced eye......I’d heard the Ol’ Rah-Rah Greatest Company malarkey from various and sundry other management.....Union and non-Union....
Yeah,yeah,yeah.......

Sonofagun if he wasn’t right! 25 years later......

He also told me “ ABF doesn’t hire children....”......ABF pretty much never questioned my decisions out on the street.......as soon as I proved I wasn’t a.........child, needing my hand held all the time....

Amazing........a company that regards their workforce as.....adults.
Unheard of.......

I think you’ll like ABF. Some things have changed......but for the most part, they still have reasonably good management.

Best I can tell you, Brother.......

The cameras at ABF are a controversial issue, with the company trying to just impose them with no contractual input.
Still in negotiation,......but recent rulings in different courts are forcing companies to re-evaluate privacy and proprietary issues.

I don’t see them in the future......

I’m also retired.......ABF was a great job. After bouncing from job to job,....having 9 carriers close while employed with them,....and spending 9 years as an O/O......the TM who hired me said this would be the job I retired from.....
I looked at him with a jaded and jaundiced eye......I’d heard the Ol’ Rah-Rah Greatest Company malarkey from various and sundry other management.....Union and non-Union....
Yeah,yeah,yeah.......

Sonofagun if he wasn’t right! 25 years later......

He also told me “ ABF doesn’t hire children....”......ABF pretty much never questioned my decisions out on the street.......as soon as I proved I wasn’t a.........child, needing my hand held all the time....

Amazing........a company that regards their workforce as.....adults.
Unheard of.......

I think you’ll like ABF. Some things have changed......but for the most part, they still have reasonably good management.

Best I can tell you, Brother.......

I appreciate that response. I like the sounds of what you said. I truly do enjoy working. Being productive is a great feeling, and being well compensated for said work is even better.

I appreciate that response. I like the sounds of what you said. I truly do enjoy working. Being productive is a great feeling, and being well compensated for said work is even better.

Yeah,......Someday there will be a Corporate Boardroom Focus Group Committee that will determine a simple,...."Good Job!".....
..does wonders for Employee Morale,.....
And more Importantly,........Improves the Bottom Line..........

The only complaint I have with ABF is there training. I'm going to the road on Sunday and a few drivers have have me numbers I'll need but that's it.

The only complaint I have with ABF is there training. I'm going to the road on Sunday and a few drivers have have me numbers I'll need but that's it.

What?........weren't you issued a Crystal Ball? I thought that was....standard issue for all truck drivers......Foretell traffic problems, forecast bad weather,....Color-coded mood of the dispatcher.......along with phone numbers.....

I'd sell you mine,....used, with only a few chips from throwing against the walls,.....but I got it in the rock garden,...and the chipmunks seem to....love it.....

Grea

You are correct on when the medical kicks in. I hired in @ 050 in October of 1998 & it was the same then. von.

I'd check with your steward or local ABF policy last year was full pay full benifits upon hire Don't think it has changed

Some of the areas were offering that because of localized driver shortages. The contract provides for pay and benefits exceeding contractual schedules and qualifications...
...As long as it's applied Unilaterally and across the board.

You may be right......In response to driver shortages,......ABF may still be waiving qualifying schedules for pay raises and going right to 100% for new hires....

Way, way back when I got my first Teamster job,.....back in the '70's...(wooden wheels, chain drive,orange crates for seats, whole forest of stick shifts on floor....)....
EVERYONE started at 100%.....There was no tiered wage system.

Some of the areas were offering that because of localized driver shortages. The contract provides for pay and benefits exceeding contractual schedules and qualifications...
...As long as it's applied Unilaterally and across the board.

You may be right......In response to driver shortages,......ABF may still be waiving qualifying schedules for pay raises and going right to 100% for new hires....

Way, way back when I got my first Teamster job,.....back in the '70's...(wooden wheels, chain drive,orange crates for seats, whole forest of stick shifts on floor....)....
EVERYONE started at 100%.....There was no tiered wage system.
Yup that was the way when I started also Then started at ABF 70% of rate Actully took a pay to go from casual to full time