ABF | Stl (st. Louis) Hiring Road Drivers

Yup that was the way when I started also Then started at ABF 70% of rate Actully took a pay to go from casual to full time

Yes,......The tiered wage system was an insult. Union carriers were hiring experienced LTL guys from other bankrupt carriers. The Slap in The Face was working for....less money, doing the same job. With the same..(or more..).experience as the other employees...

I hope the Weasel that thought the Tiered wage idea up,....got fired from his Executive position,....and now makes Managerial decisions like: "Do you want Fries with that?".

Yes,......The tiered wage system was an insult. Union carriers were hiring experienced LTL guys from other bankrupt carriers. The Slap in The Face was working for....less money, doing the same job. With the same..(or more..).experience as the other employees...

I hope the Weasel that thought the Tiered wage idea up,....got fired from his Executive position,....and now makes Managerial decisions like: "Do you want Fries with that?".
Don’t forget, the majority voted it in; opening the door for application in other industries.

Don’t forget, the majority voted it in; opening the door for application in other industries.

Yes,.....and the chuckle-headed so-called "leadership" of the Teamsters nodded their heads like Howdy-Doody and said; "Yup, yup.....Good thing,....good thing..."

Deregulation in trucking was really just about the first major industry to do so,........It was such a "success",....that they soon after deregulated airlines, banking,....and anything else with....regulations in place,...to help working people,...and hindering corporations from making wads and scads of money....

Who needs Regulations? Look how well China does without 'em......

Canary, don't you remember those good old days when our leadership looked out for us? :smile new:

mhrMB3W.jpg

Canary, don't you remember those good old days when our leadership looked out for us? :smile new:

mhrMB3W.jpg

Ahh,.....Yes. Jackie Presser.
The facilitator for the mob.......and the main reason the CSPF is where it’s at now........

The sheer arrogance,....the outright lies.....the cronyism,.....
The impression he had that he was untouchable.......Too Big To Prosecute......

Personally repugnant,....and surrounding himself with other repugnant toadies,....who would defend him to the death......as long as they personally profited from him......

Guys were told to vote for him,......because he would get better contracts than anyone else........Dollars over Ethics....
And he ended up screwing just about every Teamster in the Midwest......

And I’ll bet he still has supporters......

That picture..........Is that Presser being carted off to the Underworld?

insurance is great if you can use it, many ways you cant. when you first hire you will be told you have it but cant use it if you try, also if you get laid off when you come back you will be told you have it but cant use it,, because abf reports hours to team care on the 19 of the month after you worked, so it takes 2 months for hours to catch you up in system for team care to say yes you are able to use. also the 3 tours rule on road drivers. for example i went in hospital on tuesday, only had one tour on sunday. on wed. i was told by steward i needed check out hospital and run friday and saturday or insurance would not pay as i had no sick days left to use. 25,000 dollars was billed for 3 days. i told doctor sorry i need leave and go to work, if you get a heart attack before you got 3 tours in, you better suck it up and go to work. its a horrible thing to take away your insurance just when you need it. dont understand why teamsters would ever agree to 3 tours or lose insurance that week. i guess they all thought they would get sick on friday. if you have any medical problems your sick days will be gone fast. i had used mine to extend a vacation. then sick later. your sick days wont even cover 2 weeks out for covid. you need six for 2 weeks. this needs changed in contract but drivers dont think about these things until they are in the situation.

insurance is great if you can use it, many ways you cant. when you first hire you will be told you have it but cant use it if you try, also if you get laid off when you come back you will be told you have it but cant use it,, because abf reports hours to team care on the 19 of the month after you worked, so it takes 2 months for hours to catch you up in system for team care to say yes you are able to use. also the 3 tours rule on road drivers. for example i went in hospital on tuesday, only had one tour on sunday. on wed. i was told by steward i needed check out hospital and run friday and saturday or insurance would not pay as i had no sick days left to use. 25,000 dollars was billed for 3 days. i told doctor sorry i need leave and go to work, if you get a heart attack before you got 3 tours in, you better suck it up and go to work. its a horrible thing to take away your insurance just when you need it. dont understand why teamsters would ever agree to 3 tours or lose insurance that week. i guess they all thought they would get sick on friday. if you have any medical problems your sick days will be gone fast. i had used mine to extend a vacation. then sick later. your sick days wont even cover 2 weeks out for covid. you need six for 2 weeks. this needs changed in contract but drivers dont think about these things until they are in the situation.
Are you on FMLA? Or, were you before all this happened?

The Teamsters agreed to let you keep insurance for COVID. In central states if you are available for work, you do not have to have 3 tours

I don't know what area you are in, but here in Southern Region if you have an off the job illness or injury with medical documentation, you have health care coverage for four weeks (Article 50) and pension contributions for 4 weeks (Article 51). If your time off is more than 8-days with an off the clock illness/injury, you can fill out Short Term Disability paperwork and you will have insurance coverage for up to 6-months and get a check for $300 a week for the first 16 weeks and $350 a week for the next 10 weeks through TeamCare.

I remember being cheated out of some vacation pay because a lower level management type said I earned the vacation while I was working at a lower percentage of full pay even though I had the required time in & was finally drawing full pay. He had his wings clipped several times trying to apply the contract differently for his boys. He was the most partial to his boys supervisor I ever worked for. If you were not one of his boys he tried to make life miserable for you.
He tried to run off an OSHA inspector who was inspecting some unsafe, worn out shop equipment. The inspector made a believer out of him before he left. The inspector told him he could shut down the shop that day with one phone call with what he had already seen & he wasn't halfway finished with the inspection.

I don't know what area you are in, but here in Southern Region if you have an off the job illness or injury with medical documentation, you have health care coverage for four weeks (Article 50) and pension contributions for 4 weeks (Article 51). If your time off is more than 8-days with an off the clock illness/injury, you can fill out Short Term Disability paperwork and you will have insurance coverage for up to 6-months and get a check for $300 a week for the first 16 weeks and $350 a week for the next 10 weeks through TeamCare.
Same as 5 years ago. I was forced out for medical reasons. Same money & 6 months then you are done. I got lucky wit my pension & working for 17 years under Master Freight CBA. von.

I remember being cheated out of some vacation pay because a lower level management type said I earned the vacation while I was working at a lower percentage of full pay even though I had the required time in & was finally drawing full pay. He had his wings clipped several times trying to apply the contract differently for his boys. He was the most partial to his boys supervisor I ever worked for. If you were not one of his boys he tried to make life miserable for you.
He tried to run off an OSHA inspector who was inspecting some unsafe, worn out shop equipment. The inspector made a believer out of him before he left. The inspector told him he could shut down the shop that day with one phone call with what he had already seen & he wasn't halfway finished with the inspection.
We have had our share of favoritism from certain supervisors in the past on the dock/city side as well DCM. We have so many new and fairly new supervisors on the dock now that most of them will actually take advice from us working grunts.

We have had our share of favoritism from certain supervisors in the past on the dock/city side as well DCM. We have so many new and fairly new supervisors on the dock now that most of them will actually take advice from us working grunts.
I have seen supervisors ignore advice from hourly workers & it cost the company because of their arrogance. I remember Mr. Young saying he would listen to workers & he did. He said at one time his father also owned coal mine(s) in the Fort Smith area. There was a water problem that took many man hours away from removing the coal. He said a worker who had been with the company many years told his father how to stop the problem. It worked. The solution was so simple nobody had thought of it. I never knew of one time Mr. Young would not take time to talk with an employee.

Last edited:
I have only met Mr. Young twice and they were both in group settings, so I never had a chance to talk to him one on one. I have heard many people say the same things about him as you did. His son was a dock supervisor trainee on our dock for a short while and he was very respectful and polite to everyone. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree like they say. It was a sad day when his son passed away. He was the apparent heir to the throne and everyone that met him was looking forward to him taking his fathers place one day.

I have seen supervisors ignore advice from hourly workers & it cost the company because of their arrogance. I remember Mr. Young saying he would listen to workers & he did. He said at one time his father also owned coal mine(s) in the Fort Smith area. There was a water problem that took many man hours away from removing the coal. He said a worker who had been with the company many years told his father how to stop the problem. It worked. The solution was so simple nobody had thought of it. I never knew of one time Mr. Young would not take time to talk with an employee.
Sounds like Jim Ryder, when he acquired Great Southern in the 50s, he made several trips to Charl.
Within 6 mos he knew the names of every dock worker, their wives, and most of their children.

I have only met Mr. Young twice and they were both in group settings, so I never had a chance to talk to him one on one. I have heard many people say the same things about him as you did. His son was a dock supervisor trainee on our dock for a short while and he was very respectful and polite to everyone. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree like they say. It was a sad day when his son passed away. He was the apparent heir to the throne and everyone that met him was looking forward to him taking his fathers place one day.

He spent two or three days in the shop mostly with me the week or two he was in NLR at the terminal as a trainee. I did not know what to expect when I was told he would be with me most of the time he was in the shop. He fit right in with all of us. He was a duck hunter & loved to fish. He played football in high school as an offensive tackle & from what I heard he wasn't afraid to take on players much bigger than he. He also liked cattle since the family had a farm near Fort Smith. It was sad day when we heard about his death. I heard the account of his death but I won't get into it here.
I learned he respected workers as did his father & grandfather. He had a stern talk with a supervisor who was disrespectful to a worker in front of him. He said to get respect you have to give respect.
I think the company would be different today if he had lived. He did not like to be behind a desk so I am sure he would have spent time at terminals with the employees.