FedEx Freight | Stock price...

nasvegas

TB Veteran
Credits
Has anyone noticed that ODFL is work more than $60 more than FDX, and SAIA is worth over $20 more than FDX? WTH!

FDX $256
ODFL $316
SAIA $276
As of today.

Thought we were the cream of the crop... Guess not.

We concentrated on power and gas company stocks in our time. Buy at 6 dollars sell at 35 or so. Repeat when its back to 5.00. Usually 5 times buy price is what we sell at. Pay the taxes and use the rest.

We are absolutely in the 1979 scenario. Just waiting for the market to follow gravity down in a big way when the inflation makes it impossible to make a profit or a proper shooting war erupts.

Has anyone noticed that ODFL is work more than $60 more than FDX, and SAIA is worth over $20 more than FDX? WTH!

FDX $256
ODFL $316
SAIA $276
As of today.

You need to get educated a little. Comparing share price is meaningless. Market Cap indicates what a company is worth.

FedEx Mkt cap 67.89B
ODFL Mkt cap 36.36B
SAIA Mkt cap 7.28B

Not really Nas , I bought mostly all of my stock from AF and when it converted to FDX it really paid off . I bought stock at my company and we buy stock in my wifes company . Both of the stock portfolios are in a trust for our grandchildren as long term investments . I believe in investing in my own employer and think it's good that dispatch posts the stock price . It is meaningless to many since and it's sad to say we really have some dopes that we work with and they don't invest in the company , mentally , physically or financially . $256.22 as I type this .....

Sorry for my ignorance. I just see numbers, and those numbers are the ones that are in dispatch every week. Guess they're just meaningless..
Not really Nas , I bought mostly all of my stock from AF and when it converted to FDX it really paid off . I bought stock at my company and we buy stock in my wifes company . Both of the stock portfolios are in a trust for our grandchildren sa long term investments . I believe in investing in my own employer and think it's good that dispatch posts the stock price . It is meaningless to many since and it's sad to say we really have some dopes that we work with and they don't invest in the company , mentally , physically or financially . $256.22 as I type this .....
To be clear, the share price, by itself, is not at all meaningless. Keeping track of the share price is important to shareholders and to anyone interested in the financial condition of the company. What is meaningless is comparing share prices of different companies and thinking that determines the relative "worth" of those companies. Market capitalization (share price x number of shares outstanding) is the correct way to compare the "worth" of different companies, not just share price alone. Think of it this way - compare one person with five one dollar bills (each bill or "share" worth one dollar) to another person with one five dollar bill (each bill or "share" worth five dollars). The two individuals are "worth" the same even though their "share" prices are quite different.

Not really Nas , I bought mostly all of my stock from AF and when it converted to FDX it really paid off . I bought stock at my company and we buy stock in my wifes company . Both of the stock portfolios are in a trust for our grandchildren sa long term investments . I believe in investing in my own employer and think it's good that dispatch posts the stock price . It is meaningless to many since and it's sad to say we really have some dopes that we work with and they don't invest in the company , mentally , physically or financially . $256.22 as I type this .....
Aside from a company giving discounts, or incentives on their stock (Fx does NOT) there is absolutely no reason to invest in a company because you work for them. At that point, it's just another single stock. I'm also not blindly propping up the companie's stock, at my expense. That's $ that could be used to go towards something in your Vanguard fund that has a FAR better chance of paying off.
If Fx wants it's employees buying their stock, they need to make it appealing.
Seeing as how one can get a 12+% return over a decade with VERY little knowledge through Vanguard or Fidelity , there's absolutely no reason to roll the dice on Fx stock.

I was offered a oppertunity a few times to pick up some bigger trucking stock in the half 20's a share and thought eh... nah. If that was a bit rich check some of them today. Its gone like 150 or more. In only 20 years.

We are not the kind of people you would expect to be alive in 20 years. 6 months to 9 mohths is what we held for stocks if we were into it. These days with Uncle Sam into everything with his coin counting taxation nose... its really tough to make any kind of return.

Kind of an unfair comparison. Saia and OD, as far as I know, are mainly freight companies. FedEx is more diversified. Overnight envelopes, package, expedited etc.....Guessing the stock price is the whole company. Break out just the freight, then compare

FDX $256
ODFL $316
SAIA $276
As of today.

You have a fair point. Tri (et al) can yack market cap, etc. Stock price is based on where the gurus think a company is going. Saia probably has the most growth potential, OD is possibly “best in class”. That would lead many to believe those are better investments than an entity as large as Fed Ex (Field, Cup…).

You have a fair point. Tri (et al) can yack market cap, etc. Stock price is based on where the gurus think a company is going. Saia probably has the most growth potential, OD is possibly “best in class”. That would lead many to believe those are better investments than an entity as large as Fed Ex (Field, Cup…).
Mr. White, you seem to be a bit confused. My response was spot on in regard to nasvegas' original post. He seemed to believe that a company with a higher share price was "worth more" than another company with a lower share price and I attempted to correct him on that particular point. As I pointed out in my "yack", comparing company "worth" on share price alone is meaningless.

You bring up "growth potential". That is a totally separate issue from what was originally posted. Of course the growth or decline of any stock is determined by how investors view the future prospects of the company. Investors bid up share price if they believe a company is growing profits and sell off the shares (lowering the price) if they believe the company is on a decline.

By the way, if you bought shares of ODFL, SAIA, and YEL on June 1, 2020 and sold today, which would you think gave the best return?

Old Dominion +84%
SAIA +142%
Yellow +414%

Mr. White, you seem to be a bit confused. My response was spot on in regard to nasvegas' original post. He seemed to believe that a company with a higher share price was "worth more" than another company with a lower share price and I attempted to correct him on that particular point. As I pointed out in my "yack", comparing company "worth" on share price alone is meaningless.

You bring up "growth potential". That is a totally separate issue from what was originally posted. Of course the growth or decline of any stock is determined by how investors view the future prospects of the company. Investors bid up share price if they believe a company is growing profits and sell off the shares (lowering the price) if they believe the company is on a decline.

By the way, if you bought shares of ODFL, SAIA, and YEL on June 1, 2020 and sold today, which would you think gave the best return?

Old Dominion +84%
SAIA +142%
Yellow +414%
So Nas thinks OD as a whole is worth $60 more than FedEx Corp? I assumed he was talking share price, a common reflection of a company’s rank amongst peers. What makes you think many of us didn’t do penny stock investing in YRC? We should have a show on FBN. You can talk big picture, I’ll talk short term growth, we’ll have guests like Breeze talking pension. Imagine the possibilities.

Last edited:
So Nas thinks OD as a whole is worth $60 more than FedEx Corp? I assumed he was talking share price, a common reflection of a company’s rank amongst peers. What makes you think many of us didn’t do penny stock investing in YRC? We should have a show on FBN. You can talk big picture, I’ll talk short term growth, we’ll have guests like Breeze talking pension. Imagine the possibilities.
OK, one last time. We are talking about comparing the "worth" of a company not the "worth" of a share of stock. Nas indicated he thought one company was worth more than another company simply because the stock price of the first company was higher. That's what I responded to and tried to explain how that was incorrect. On the other hand, if you're talking about what a particular stock is worth, that's up to whatever any particular person feels like paying for that stock. When you talk about what a company is worth, and want to compare that to what a different company is worth, comparing share price is meaningless for the reasons I've previously stated. Market capitalization (share price x number of shares outstanding) is the accepted way the financial community values a company. Try to keep clear in your mind the difference between the worth of a company as a whole and the worth of a particular share of stock. They are two totally differently things. Comparing share price alone between different companies when they very likely have different amounts of shares outstanding is a meaningless comparison.

Last edited: