Straight trucks

Demolitionman

TB Veteran
Credits
A guy I use to work with at Pepsi drives one for you guys. He has heard the company is looking to get rid of the box truck routes and just use them as needed. Has anyone heard this? He does have his A, but he would go to the bottom of the A list and have to run shuttle. Thanks!

DemolitionMan,

Years ago the straight truck was a necessary evil, less docks, smaller streets, tighter areas, and with running rural areas it was the best option.

Today, more customers have docks, the roads and streets are in much better shape, and most of the customers are in areas where we can access them with tractor and trailers.

So we are not looking to do completely away with the straight trucks, we are looking to cut back in the future, as they are an added expense to the operation, and we need versatility.

Not sure about your friends case, but if he has his class A, not sure that he would have to move to shuttle if a straight truck is removed from the terminal he works out of. That would be on an as needed basis.

Your Friend just needs to speak with the manager of that facility. If he has concerns.

Thanks

Demo, It is very unlikely your friend will have to work of a night but I have been doing it for 7 years and it isn't as bad as most drivers think.

I work nights myself and love it. He just told me he could not stay awake at night. If it came down to having a job there vs. where he and I use to work, I think I would work nights stopping to take a nap once and awhile.

Just a guess, because I don't work for Wilson, but I would say the addition of pups would also add to the lessoned need for straight trucks. Lessoned, is that a word, oh well just a thought.