XPO | strange

hound dog

TB Lurker
Credits
this place is too strange for me! first it was the background check with hireright.getting phone calls from hireright and conway every day needing me to sign more papers.even went as far as faxing in my tax info to hireright to confirm former employment.hell i was doing all of the foot work for hireright on my backgroung check.start date always getting delayed.was driving me crazy!i am just going to walk away from this.i am going to bury it.goodluck to you guys.i will land somewhere else.

this place is too strange for me! first it was the background check with hireright.getting phone calls from hireright and conway every day needing me to sign more papers.even went as far as faxing in my tax info to hireright to confirm former employment.hell i was doing all of the foot work for hireright on my backgroung check.start date always getting delayed.was driving me crazy!i am just going to walk away from this.i am going to bury it.goodluck to you guys.i will land somewhere else.

Unfortunately everything you gave them will be kept forever.

No way I will ever send paystubs or taxforms for employment, particularly to a company like CON-way.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

[quote author=FROSTYMUG link=topic=79790.msg826740#msg826740 date=1272901049]
[/quote]

Same deal here bro. I went through the same crap. I hope HireRite doesnt charge much. I'm a business owner and they asked me for tons of paperwork. I was supposed to start 5/03 @ 8am. I didn't go because after the offer letter and knowing what they pay to start...go screw. I have 16 years experience. The starting mileage is .42 what a joke. Thats what dock-to-drivers should start with. Not to mention you have to give Con-Way 5 years of hard work to get what most receive within 2/3 years. And after reading what current employees have to say about Con-Way here on TB it really sounds like a circus.

The personnel manager called me monday afternoon and asked what they did wrong and i was at a lost for words. The trainer who gave me the road test as well as the PM both told me they've went through 130 drivers in Indy within the last year. Shouldn't Con-Way know what they are doing wrong? Compared to FXF, Con-Way is the JB Hunt/Swift of LTL for new hires. I guess after you give them 5 years of your life and they make $$$$$ breaking your back it's a nice paying job.

[quote author=Outsider link=topic=79790.msg826857#msg826857 date=1272948631]
[quote author=FROSTYMUG link=topic=79790.msg826740#msg826740 date=1272901049]
[/quote]

Same deal here bro. I went through the same crap. I hope HireRite doesnt charge much. I'm a business owner and they asked me for tons of paperwork. I was supposed to start 5/03 @ 8am. I didn't go because after the offer letter and knowing what they pay to start...go screw. I have 16 years experience. The starting mileage is .42 what a joke. Thats what dock-to-drivers should start with. Not to mention you have to give Con-Way 5 years of hard work to get what most receive within 2/3 years. And after reading what current employees have to say about Con-Way here on TB it really sounds like a circus.

The personnel manager called me monday afternoon and asked what they did wrong and i was at a lost for words. The trainer who gave me the road test as well as the PM both told me they've went through 130 drivers in Indy within the last year. Shouldn't Con-Way know what they are doing wrong? Compared to FXF, Con-Way is the JB Hunt/Swift of LTL for new hires. I guess after you give them 5 years of your life and they make $$$$$ breaking your back it's a nice paying job.
[/quote]You've got 16 years experience, why are you looking for a job? What happened to your last job? If you were making good money, then why leave?

[quote author=Outsider link=topic=79343.msg824747#msg824747 date=1272255770]

My tentative start date is 5/03/10 They told me in the interview that i have 2 weeks to leave whatever job i'm currently in. So i wrote myself a resignation letter hehe. You see i own a restaurant that i opened 2 years ago when i was still at Fedex Freight. At first we were so busy that i resigned fedex to operate my company full-time. That was my intention and reason for opening a pizza shop. But in the last 6-9 months i've experienced a loss in sales. I am cooking and using the same ingredients as i have since day one. So i blame the big corporate chains Pizza Hut/Domino's/Papa John's etc. for trashing the pizza market with crappy $10 pizza's. Oh well can't win em' all. Outsider
[/quote]

What seems strange to me is how Con-way has gotten such a bad reputation. I must be working for the other Con-way Freight. You know, the Con-way freight that pays me better than most people I know, that has kept me working my butt off straight through the worst economic downturn since the 1930's. The Con-way that is growing and growing and growing and continueing to earn profits in-spite of rate cuts and spiraling shipping prices. WTF!!! You know what they say, a happy person is someone who is grateful for what they have. I am very happy.

[quote author=radman link=topic=79790.msg826898#msg826898 date=1272982089]
What seems strange to me is how Con-way has gotten such a bad reputation. I must be working for the other Con-way Freight. You know, the Con-way freight that pays me better than most people I know, that has kept me working my butt off straight through the worst economic downturn since the 1930's. The Con-way that is growing and growing and growing and continueing to earn profits in-spite of rate cuts and spiraling shipping prices. WTF!!! You know what they say, a happy person is someone who is grateful for what they have. I am very happy.
[/quote]I hear ya bro...this place has it's down falls, but for what I am making for what I am doing, I can't beat it. I kinda like this job. If your looking for the perfect, good luck. You won't find it. I remember my daddy telling me when I was young "no matter where you work, you will eat sh*t, depending on what you make depends on how much sh*t your willing to eat". Now I'm going wash down my sh*t with some blue kool-aid. lol As for the guy that is leaving, go over the road and start out at 39 cents or so and see your family once a moth. Good bye to you. You don't seem like the type that would make it past your training.

What's wrong with this company is making linehaul drivers work 14-16 hours a day, everyday, and 90% of it isn't even driving. Its just not worth it. Life is too short to bust your ass like this for years.

look i did not come here to start any hate i was being grilled for a driving job not a job at the fbi as CON-way was acting!they only offered 39 cpm and 17.99 hr to work there i will leave now i will end up on antoher company board soon ps thank god i will not be driving those 7 speed sterling tractors real junk :dance:

look i did not come here to start any hate i was being grilled for a driving job not a job at the fbi as CON-way was acting!they only offered 39 cpm and 17.99 hr to work there i will leave now i will end up on antoher company board soon ps thank god i will not be driving those 7 speed sterling tractors real junk

First time I drove a seven speed I was slip seating in the dark. Man it sure felt like the range selector was broken. Took all day to get that POS up to speed with 50000 lbs on flat ground. Those bean counters are full of shyte if they think that saves fuel. You rev the **** out of it and slam the gas down as hard as it will go while the motor is screaming for mercy, then you upshift while it lugs down amd.the oil pressure drops. It figures the CON-way team would like this crap.

[quote author=vascoDG link=topic=79790.msg826942#msg826942 date=1272992748]
What's wrong with this company is making linehaul drivers work 14-16 hours a day, everyday, and 90% of it isn't even driving. Its just not worth it. Life is too short to bust your ass like this for years.
[/quote]

You know it all depends on where you are and what you do I guess. At my barn, we don't run to any FAC's, its all meet and turns. Our linehaul guys are working some long hours for sure, they are also making $80,000 a year. Whodathunk a truck driver could make that much a year, sitting on his rear, driving a POS Sterling 7 speed. As for me, I run the city and you know what, I do like my POS Sterling. Its comfortable, its clean, the AC works in the summer and the heat works in the winter.WTF else do you want. I used to haul groceries driving a super clean 18 speed kenworth with all the lights and buzzers and I made squat compared to what I make driving my POS Sterling for Con-Way. Now pass the Kool-aid driver. :threadsux: :threadsux: :threadsux:

[quote author=ranger309 link=topic=79790.msg826954#msg826954 date=1272996817]
look i did not come here to start any hate i was being grilled for a driving job not a job at the fbi as CON-way was acting!they only offered 39 cpm and 17.99 hr to work there i will leave now i will end up on antoher company board soon ps thank god i will not be driving those 7 speed sterling tractors real junk

First time I drove a seven speed I was slip seating in the dark. Man it sure felt like the range selector was broken. Took all day to get that POS up to speed with 50000 lbs on flat ground. Those bean counters are full of shyte if they think that saves fuel. You rev the **** out of it and slam the gas down as hard as it will go while the motor is screaming for mercy, then you upshift while it lugs down amd.the oil pressure drops. It figures the CON-way team would like this crap.

[/quote]

No matter what your situation, or experience, everybody has to work from the bottom and work your way to the top just like everybody else did. You can't just come to work here and expect to be put at top pay. It's takes 3 years in the South and 5 years in the North. If anybody thinks they can just start at Fedex at top pay, well good for you and goodluck working there.
This is not the best company to work for, but the guys who work 14 hours a day, well they like the money, and this is how they take care of their families. Stick around and get some seniority and you can choose wether or not you work 14 hours a day.
Oh, and by the way, if they didn't hire you, well they probably don't want you working here.

In these times it IS a pretty good job. And has some good pay along with insurance better than some, worse than others.

It puts food on the table, roof over our heads and clothes on our back. Even a little extra to put back for some goodies once in a while.

Now on the bad side, they took retirement from the ones that busted their backs for years and now that older senior driver that put their trust into Conway has been dropped into the cold.

It's like being at the bottom of a hill, shown a mansion at the top and taking years of back breaking labor to finally get to the top only to find the mansion has been switched to a old log cabin. You'll still have a roof over your head (if Conway doesn't throw you off a cliff a.k.a. fired) but it's not what you were promised.

Too tired to try again, too old to try again somewhere new and you'll have to continue to work to keep the old cabin over your head while the mansion has been moved to another mountain and the guys that promised it to you are living the good life in the mansion.

Same ol' story and anger that has lasted the past few years.

Kinda funny how these threads so often deteriorate into a Con-way bash-fest. Didn't this begin as a rant against hireright?

[quote author=beerfd link=topic=79790.msg827192#msg827192 date=1273057745]
This is not the best company to work for, but the guys who work 14 hours a day, well they like the money, and this is how they take care of their families. Stick around and get some seniority and you can choose whether or not you work 14 hours a day.
[/quote]

What can a new guy expect to make per year? How many hours per day can he expect? How many days/week? Which days/week?

[quote author=m3sews link=topic=79790.msg828018#msg828018 date=1273320126]
[quote author=beerfd link=topic=79790.msg827192#msg827192 date=1273057745]
This is not the best company to work for, but the guys who work 14 hours a day, well they like the money, and this is how they take care of their families. Stick around and get some seniority and you can choose whether or not you work 14 hours a day.
[/quote]

What can a new guy expect to make per year? How many hours per day can he expect? How many days/week? Which days/week?
[/quote]It all depends on what part of the country your working in and the size of the Service Center. You could be on call or you could be working overtime and/or running every night in your first week.