Striking or NOT..That is the question?

I wish they cared half as much about us as they do the homeless. Maybe they are just buttering them up so hecan have workers if there is a walk out:biglaugh:

Don't be a jerk 3mRoccoBoy. You I am sure have never truly done without...been homeless or starving/going with out food or shelter or medcial care. What have you done?

Ive spent many of time feeding the homeless. I havent been homeless, I am hungry right now, but not starving(joke. Well not really, I am hungry). If the company keeps being greedy, there might bea few more local homeless mouths to feed.

And I dont see how I was being a jerk...Im just saying, I wish they cared more about their workers...Supposed to be a family company. Only family they care about is their own. And i guess the homeless families too(which isnt a bad thing!). Guess I should go live on the street so they can take a second look at what they are doing, and maybe have an ounce of compassion

And I dont see how I was being a jerk...Im just saying, I wish they cared more about their workers...Supposed to be a family company. Only family they care about is their own. And i guess the homeless families too(which isnt a bad thing!). Guess I should go live on the street so they can take a second look at what they are doing, and maybe have an ounce of compassion

I am sure your family would love to move from trhere home and live in the streets with you...I am sure if the truth were known you have it better than a lot of people. Big sigh...it is what you said that made you sound like a jerk. Try counting your blessings.

I am sure your family would love to move from trhere home and live in the streets with you...I am sure if the truth were known you have it better than a lot of people. Big sigh...it is what you said that made you sound like a jerk. Try counting your blessings.

Once again, i dont see how I was sounding/acting like a jerk. Ha, and If I wanted to move from my home onto the the streets, my family would trust me (trhere cool like that).

Trust is a funny thing. My family has it in me, and I had once had it for my company. It can be lost. If my actions are not pure, I will lose my wife's trust. Thats what has happened here at oakh. The Impureness they are pushing at us in the contract, and the fact that they will not dscipline the TM for assault against an employee, has made me lose the respect and trust I once had in them.

Sure, I have it better than alot of people. But we can't really play that game. Everybody has it better than somebody else. Id rather be homeless here than in Mexico. Our homeless have it pretty good in comparison. What Dave and Ed do for them every year is very honorable.

the main reason that the employees have it so good is because the union has assured thatoak harbor paid decent wages, with a sound pension and company paid for medical. All the cry babies who say they will cross any pickets belong working for a nonunion carrier where they can pay for their own medical and let the company handle your pension so when they go down you can lose all of it.

where are the rest of you oakeys. The company is once again stringing you along with out a contract. they keep you guys in fear and you work without really knowing what is going on. If you shut the doors and the rich Vandepools had to make a decision then maybe it could be a good company again. YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR ALMOST A MONTH WITHOUT A CONTRCT.

Whoh brother! Hold the horses a minute!

Lets have a union 101 lesson here! THE PURPOSE of a union: 1st & foremost- to level the playing field-that means to put a stop to the abuse that the employer dishes out. That means negotiating a contract by which both sides MUST abide by. Sure, there's good contracts & not so good contracts. Members have a right to say yeh or ney on any & all proposals.Many newly formed union co.'s have to settle for a little less than the best contracts ( ie. UPS & the old M.F.) You shoot for the moon-if you get it-Jakpot! If you don't, you go back to the table & negotiate the best contract that you can. Any contract is better than no contract for the simple fact that you are able to negotiate a better contract NEXT time around. That's what called....getting your foot in the door! Card carrying members on file? What's this got to do with anything? Halls sign you up & forget about you? Maybe short term you might think so, but come contract time , they're going to standing right next to you. I guaran damn tee it!!

The contract was up Oct 31. The company was fully aware when it was due. They sat on their hands and handed out their new proposal which all nonunion employees have to abide by come Jan 1. How long are the rest of us to sit back and let the VDP's play with are future of uncertainee. The freight market is really tight right now so they have 2 choices. Give the people a contract they can live with or close their doors and we can all find good union jobs elsewhere. They are still available.

don't strike

Man I hope you guys don't go on strike. The consequenses would be far reaching and us non-union guys will have to make some choices. I REALLY don't want to cross a picket line to pick up freight, or even just to drive down the highway, but without anyone backing me up, what choice do I have. Believe me, I hope you get what you want, and deserve. Unions are what got drivers the pay scale, and benefits they have. It's not like companies are giving us these things to be generous. I really do feel a little guilty sometimes not being union, and I fully understand the animosity sometimes between us.

Well since you asked...It is simple. Work on convincing your barn to join the Union. It appearers that you already see the benefits of becoming a Teamster.

Man I hope you guys don't go on strike. The consequenses would be far reaching and us non-union guys will have to make some choices. I REALLY don't want to cross a picket line to pick up freight, or even just to drive down the highway, but without anyone backing me up, what choice do I have. Believe me, I hope you get what you want, and deserve. Unions are what got drivers the pay scale, and benefits they have. It's not like companies are giving us these things to be generous. I really do feel a little guilty sometimes not being union, and I fully understand the animosity sometimes between us.

Well since you asked...It is simple. Work on convincing your barn to join the Union. It appearers that you already see the benefits of becoming a Teamster.

striking would be *******. you will lose.

To the "Financial Core Status" I get it now, I hope someday you are able to get over yourself. To anyone reading hear I am betting this individual has maybe 4 months to retire, and he is afraid that your fight to have the same kind of retirement he plans on having will get in his way.

"...striking would be *******. you will lose..."

No... Oak Harbor will lose. They will lose their employees when they go out on strike. They will lose their customers shortly thereafter, and with that, they will lose most of their business and therefore all of their revenue.

Lastly, they will lose their company. Bye-bye.

Me? I will have a job somewhere hauling the freight I used to haul at Oak Harbor. I will survive just fine.

So the only real people here who have something to lose are the owners of Oak Harbor, who will rather quickly wash their father's legacy to them and their children and grandchildren be flushed down the toilet.

The only other losers are those who think that caving in is better than standing up and fighting for something better for themselves and their families. If that is the way you feel, I invite you to apply at any of the non-union carriers in town where that kind of spinal fortitude is considered a necessary survival trait...

you hit another homerun. as soon as the people at OHFL acceptthis contract then they might as well work for nonunion and let the company (VP) make all of your decision about what is best for you. And you better like it or go else where.

No... Oak Harbor will lose. They will lose their employees when they go out on strike. They will lose their customers shortly thereafter, and with that, they will lose most of their business and therefore all of their revenue.

Lastly, they will lose their company. Bye-bye.

Me? I will have a job somewhere hauling the freight I used to haul at Oak Harbor. I will survive just fine.

So the only real people here who have something to lose are the owners of Oak Harbor, who will rather quickly wash their father's legacy to them and their children and grandchildren be flushed down the toilet.

The only other losers are those who think that caving in is better than standing up and fighting for something better for themselves and their families. If that is the way you feel, I invite you to apply at any of the non-union carriers in town where that kind of spinal fortitude is considered a necessary survival trait...

You as usual are so wrong so jealious oh and stupid can't for get that. I realize you cannot help this trait.