•    Since Adults seem to be in charge again, Truckingboards is back on Twitter @truckingboards

Superior Fast Freight

Hookman

Just passing thru on my way home
Premium
They were a fixture on the west coast as a freight forwarding company that had tremendous service that helped them through deregulation. At one time as a family owned company they thrived like many company's did but over expansion led to their collapse in 1995. The bean counters wanted to expand nationwide, which the owners went along with, abandoning their business model of running the western states and failure was the result.

sff.md.jpg

Last edited:

Triplex

Experienced stalker
They were a fixture on the west coast as a freight forwarding company that had tremendous service that helped them through deregulation. At one time as a family owned company they thrived like many company's did but over expansion led to their collapse in 1995. The bean counters wanted to expand nationwide, which the owners went along with, abandoning their business model of running the western states and failure was the result.

sff.md.jpg
They should have learned from Maislin on the east coast, same plan, same failure.

FatChance

Premium
They should have learned from Maislin on the east coast, same plan, same failure.
You know, I think the eighties must have corrupted all these business people's minds. You just mentioned 2 carriers who thought they could do it all. But there was Viking, and their expansion would have driven them out of business also. Fedex or their predessor RPS I think literally on a Friday afternoon bought them otherwise that was going to be it. And that's just 3, I'm sure in the next couple of days my brain cells will get together and remind me of more.

Triplex

Experienced stalker
I can distinctly remember a meeting at Maislin where executives told us about the Gateway purchase and that we were going to be coast to coast with the big boys, Roadway, CF, Yellow, and that we should go out and buy boats, cars, motorcycles, etc., because times were looking great for us. Yes, how did that turn out?

ROADY

I can distinctly remember a meeting at Maislin where executives told us about the Gateway purchase and that we were going to be coast to coast with the big boys, Roadway, CF, Yellow, and that we should go out and buy boats, cars, motorcycles, etc., because times were looking great for us. Yes, how did that turn out?
Is that when you bought that row boat to go crabbbing in the hackensack river? :lmao:
:hide: :6817:

chappey

Gateway, wasn't that where Hoffa was supposed to be, in a drum on their dock? Wait! maybe it's better i don't know

FatChance

Premium
Use to swim in the Hackensack River as a kid and lived to tell about it
Newark bay outside Roosevelt Stadium and Hudson, we called it NY Bay by Caven Point. And still here! I think George Carlin had a bit about city kids swimming in the delightful waterways that surrounded us. We've been exposed to every germ known to man. Don't even get common colds!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But we have to pay the server bill every month. 

Please disable your AdBlocker.

For Advertisement Free Viewing,Login and select "Account Upgrades" by clicking on your name at the top right of the page.

I've Disabled AdBlock