Estes | survey

this is my point, everyone knew the rules. if you worked city for ten years before linehaul. why should you be able to count those ten years?

no thats not fair cause it doesnt benefit me, it needs to benefit me or i dont like the rule.

time in linehaul is the rule, and a guy who worked in city 20 years then ran six months in linehaul should not get to use his 20 years to jump to top of linehaul unless everyone gets to use it. that is only fair.

Actually everyone didn't know the rules. My terminal and the surrounding terminals used to bid off company time. After you made a jump, 90 days in that possition, and you had full senority based off company. We and others did it that way for the first 5-6 years I was here.

And if a guy worked city for 20yrs and goes line haul, or more likely gets thrown on the extra for what ever reason, how can you say his 20 yrs of service with Estes, recieving an Estes paycheck, shouldn't count for anything. Get real, he's worked here for 20 freaking years. You want the same bennifit, then stick around giving your life to Estes like he did for 20 yrs.

One board vs. two boards, I don't care, but it's time we start using company senority and Rob honors all the service his employee's have given to him.

so ok guys who want two boards, lets rebid everyone city linehaul hub, utility. based on time with company you choose what you want on this bid only.

then it goes to two boards from then on. this is your one year to choose, you want linehaul. use your time in company to get it.

why does anyone say we cant have guys jumping around.
why does a driver here 25, 30 years in city not deserve a top linehaul run.

you think cause a guy has been city driver for 25 years somehow he cant do a linehaul run.

only reason anyone has for guys not jumping from city to linehaul or linehaul to city is because they dont want their run takin away by that guy with more company time.

my whole point in all this is guys keep saying count my company time, but dont count his.

you want to count comapny time, it should apply to everyone. if a guy has been a dock worker for 25 years then became a driver last week. give him his 25 years to bid.

stop trying to make a rule just benefit you and not let it benefit the other guy with time in comapny.

and to let you know if we did bid all drivers by comapny time i know i would be bumped off linehaul completely cause so many city drivers would jump to linehaul.

i dont think at my terminal you could hold a linehaul spot unless you had at least 15 years in if it was done that way.

so yes i would be screwed, but i believe in fair is fair.

i prefer we keep time in linehaul for bidding. that keeps my same spot.

really i prefer we dont bid at all. so i know i keep my run.

so ok guys who want two boards, lets rebid everyone city linehaul hub, utility. based on time with company you choose what you want on this bid only.

then it goes to two boards from then on. this is your one year to choose, you want linehaul. use your time in company to get it.

why does anyone say we cant have guys jumping around.
why does a driver here 25, 30 years in city not deserve a top linehaul run.

you think cause a guy has been city driver for 25 years somehow he cant do a linehaul run.

only reason anyone has for guys not jumping from city to linehaul or linehaul to city is because they dont want their run takin away by that guy with more company time.

my whole point in all this is guys keep saying count my company time, but dont count his.

you want to count comapny time, it should apply to everyone. if a guy has been a dock worker for 25 years then became a driver last week. give him his 25 years to bid.

stop trying to make a rule just benefit you and not let it benefit the other guy with time in comapny.

It's not just to benefit me or you..it's to benefit the whole ,as a majority,to be fair to everyone.. Before I came to Estes over 10 tears ago,you didn't get hired off the street as linehaul..You ran team before you ran linehaul...To make sure that's what you wanted to do..So many people get into predicaments that they cannot get out of..if you go as One Board,you have too many people going too many directions everytime you bid..

I don't know if we are going to even bid again..They have that power,not us..But if we do, the current policy should be reviewed and rules put in place to secure the seniority driver.. The 2 board system would do that..Most of the city drivers here that have been in the city for a long period of time, usually stay there..They don't want to go linehaul..The point I made previously about the seniority drivers getting their runs canceled and having to go extra-board,should be looked at very seriously..They deserve to be able get a new run..Why should they be punished for staying with the company so long and giving so much..And let the drivers use their total company seniority to do so..

Estes is the only company in the country that doesn't do this..
Company seniority.Company devotion.Company loyalty.Should account for something..If it doesn't, then tell us so..Estes is the only company that hasn't taken a cut in pay..Some of the reason for that,is company loyalty from the drivers,dockworkers and clerical workers..Going the extra mile..

If you don't agree with my opinion,that's fine..But standing around not doing nothing to improve things,is not the answer either..Happy drivers,work harder..Not the other way around..It is a privilege to work for such a good company..But it's also a privilege to have good,happy,and safe drivers..

But this is ONLY my opinion..

Personally I could care less if they do a full rebid on company. Hell screw nights I'll go to the city and work a normal person's hours. Truth be told, most at my barn who have the day time "secure" city runs wouldn't come off them to run nights regardless. They are used to what they have and enjoy the evenings with their families. Hell maybe I could get used to that as well. But the fact is you can throw a city guy in a truck and say head here, but a IMO it's much harder to throw a guy into the city and expect him to run the deliveries and pick ups as efficently as the guy who knows the area like the back of his hand. So yes I want my company time to count, I deserve to be recognized for the years I've put into this company, and I'm tired of low senority getting bid runs and I get stuck with crap even though I have a couple years on all them and was forced to change boards way back when. The fact is I'd doubt very highly they will allow what your asking for as it would hinder their service to the customers for a while. But to rebid inside current catagorys, people are already trained at that possition and they could easily honor those who have been here the longest. If I loose out to someone with higher senority, well at least I can understand what a hire in date is, loosing out to someone who hired in two years after I did, little hard to swallow.

It's not just to benefit me or you..it's to benefit the whole ,as a majority,to be fair to everyone.. Before I came to Estes over 10 tears ago,you didn't get hired off the street as linehaul..You ran team before you ran linehaul...To make sure that's what you wanted to do..So many people get into predicaments that they cannot get out of..if you go as One Board,you have too many people going too many directions everytime you bid..

I don't know if we are going to even bid again..They have that power,not us..But if we do, the current policy should be reviewed and rules put in place to secure the seniority driver.. The 2 board system would do that..Most of the city drivers here that have been in the city for a long period of time, usually stay there..They don't want to go linehaul..The point I made previously about the seniority drivers getting their runs canceled and having to go extra-board,should be looked at very seriously..They deserve to be able get a new run..Why should they be punished for staying with the company so long and giving so much..And let the drivers use their total company seniority to do so..

Company seniority.Company devotion.Company loyalty.Should account for something..If it doesn't, then tell us so..Estes is the only company that hasn't taken a cut in pay..Some of the reason for that,is company loyalty from the drivers,dockworkers and clerical workers..Going the extra mile..

If you don't agree with my opinion,that's fine..But standing around not doing nothing to improve things,is not the answer either..Happy drivers,work harder..Not the other way around..It is a privilege to work for such a good company..But it's also a privilege to have good,happy,and safe drivers..

you said it better than I could have.

Its quit apparent you do not want any input on this so why waste your time commenting. This is a forum for intelligent people who would like for Estes to be a better company to work but there are far too many people like you at Estes that dont care how you are treated as long as the money is good, think about every minute you work for free. Ever thought about that. Time is money how do you value your time? Rebiding was a matter of convenience for Estes and a kind way of laying people off or running them off because they know some people have a life and would like to be home more than a couple of days a week.

Well said loon I agree 100% and I would also like to add that it's discouraging for us in the east to know that the west side gets to bid and we don't.
We all got red wheels and get our checks out of Richmond. There should not be two sets of rules.

the part about customers suffering from drivers changing.

we survived that last year, maybe your terminal didnt but others also rebid city last year and drivers changed routes and start times in city. had guys that ran same route last ten years now in a new town having to learn all over again.

you say guys in city would not change. most will not change under current rules. cause they may have to run extra board for five years working way up in linehaul. but if they knew they could use their time to get a top run and even if they lost it they would have all their time in company to get any bid that comes up. i know many that would change.

what company gives full credit for company time except a one board company. some wont let you even work linehaul when you first start. then you move over when there are openings. yes you get the openings based on your time in city. but what if same thing. a guy stays in city five years before he switches letting younger guys go first. he doesnt get to later bump them down. name a company that allows a guy to carry 20 years in city over to linehaul to bump guys down.

if you are not in linehaul in company time order, i dont see it as anyones fault but yours. if they hired off street for linehaul while you were still in city and didnt compalin you wanted that spot or if you let guys go to linehaul before you cause you werent ready to go. thats the way it is. stop blaming company for guys with less years getting better runs.

if you switched to hub to get a better run or avoid extra board knowing you were losing time in linehaul. again your fault. im sure there has been guys that were forced to move to keep their job. but are you saying that has happened to all of you?

i know of two guys recently with 20 years in city who already switched to linehaul. guess they get to move to top on this. i know of four more who have several years in city who put their name on every run that goes up hoping to get it. whats going to happen to these guys.
maybe every year we should rebid and any guy that comes from city gets all his time counted at bid. so these guys and others will come bump us all down.

Its quit apparent you do not want any input on this so why waste your time commenting. This is a forum for intelligent people who would like for Estes to be a better company to work but there are far too many people like you at Estes that dont care how you are treated as long as the money is good, think about every minute you work for free. Ever thought about that. Time is money how do you value your time? Rebiding was a matter of convenience for Estes and a kind way of laying people off or running them off because they know some people have a life and would like to be home more than a couple of days a week.

who may i ask is this intend to i'm sorry but i'm not one of the more inteligent people on here either not trying to stir ::shit:: up just trying to keep up lol....

Slopway it seems you are only worried about yourself and are scared to death of someone taking your free jump in line away from you. Put your time in and someday you too will be on top. I'm tired of people looking to get something for nothing and trying to convince the high seniority guys they deserve a free pass to the front of the line.

If it were me making the rules, I would make two boards, city and road, I would have it company seniority with in class, if a posting comes up and you are lucky enough to get the bid to change class, then after your 90 day probation you would have your full company time to bid with.. It's hard enough to change class as it is. If someone gets a bid with 20 yrs and their hire date is before mine then congrats to them, they just put me down a rung on the ladder. And if I decide to change class and go to city, then the rule works for me as well putting me in my rightfull possition. Fair is fair and seniority is seniority .

I believe Conway bids everything by company as well once a year.

who may i ask is this intend to i'm sorry but i'm not one of the more inteligent people on here either not trying to stir ::shit:: up just trying to keep up lol....

I am sory im knot won of the mor intelogint folks nither. i did knot no this 4um wuz fer thoz kinda indivijuals. I wuz thinkun this wuz a twuk dwivar place 4 intertamement. :wacko:

booser it seems you have not read my posts or dont understand them.

if i was only looking out for me i would have no bid at all so i can keep my run and not worry about you or anyone taking it. i stated that.

i have been saying exactly what you just did. what i have been preaching against is all these linehaul drivers who think they should be able to count their time in company to bump other linehaul drivers.

but say no way in hell should a city driver be able to come in and bump them using his company time.

they only want a rule that helps them, but doesnt help the other so called loyal drivers who been here 20 years or more.

if it was me i would use one board, so i could switch back and forth each year as things change with my family. as conway does.

conway has one board for linehaul day and night, city and dock, and switchers. each year they say how many city dock linehaul is available start at first man and ask all the way down you want linehaul, city ,dock or swticher. then bid again in linehaul when drivers are set. and no they dont bid a set run and start time. they take a list of every run they may do from your terminal and make you list them 1-25 or how ever many there is from your terminal in order they prefer them.

so say your number one has no loads today. but a lower driver bid a different number one and his is available yes he may run more miles than you today. how could that happen, would have estes drivers crying he got a longer run than me today. yeah they cry about it at conway also, they also cry if a driver has a truck than pulls better than his even if they are both brand new.

Slopway it seems you are only worried about yourself and are scared to death of someone taking your free jump in line away from you. Put your time in and someday you too will be on top. I'm tired of people looking to get something for nothing and trying to convince the high seniority guys they deserve a free pass to the front of the line.

If it were me making the rules, I would make two boards, city and road, I would have it company seniority with in class, if a posting comes up and you are lucky enough to get the bid to change class, then after your 90 day probation you would have your full company time to bid with.. It's hard enough to change class as it is. If someone gets a bid with 20 yrs and their hire date is before mine then congrats to them, they just put me down a rung on the ladder. And if I decide to change class and go to city, then the rule works for me as well putting me in my rightfull possition. Fair is fair and seniority is seniority .

I believe Conway bids everything by company as well once a year.

Some of our local guys have never crossed a scale or a state line in a rig. Some of these guys been with the company for years. Spoke with a hub driver from another terminal. Big E is the only trucking job he had. He's been here for years. I think seniority is seniority regardless of where and when you drive but what happens when these guys bid on one of those wimpy runs then that run gets cut or they go back to the old way of bidding next year. We are talking major separation from the men from the boys here. :biglaugh: I can't imagine the look on these guys faces headed up the east coast or comming home late turkey day morning.:17: We already have a dayshift transfer that thought our extraboarders only run south. This guy catches the swine flu nearly everytime he has to run north. He had his wife call another driver to have him call central for him to say he was too sick to call.:puke:

There is no use fighting among ourselves guys.That won't solve a thing..We are trying to come up with a solution to the problem.I'm not and never have said that my ideas are right or wrong,they are just ideas and opinions..

Booser..You and I probably grew up in this business about the same time and the same way..The young ones have good ideas and may work in certain situations..How and when,I don't know..

Slopway,I say the same to you..We,the guys that have been here for 10 years or more,are concerned about the right formula to take care of the younger guys too,for the future..When they have 10 or more years in..If you are going to go to upper management about changes, you have to have a formula that works for all,not just a chosen few..The company won't consider it..We have to have all our eggs in one basket,so to speak..When you are working with a seniority system,you have to plan for the future..Ask yourself the question "How will it benefit me and the guys that have the same seniority level as I do and the ones below us,work for us in our old age"?

We all have good ideas and opinions.We are a part of the smartest people in the business.We just have to keep working at it till we can convince management that our way would benefit us and the company..I have devoted 1/3 of my life to this company and I would be very disappointed if we would be a part of a making a grave mistake,that would be detrimental to Estes.. And I think I speak for a lot of the older drivers and the younger ones too..So no one can be wrong here,if we come up with the right solution..

Some of our local guys have never crossed a scale or a state line in a rig. Some of these guys been with the company for years. Spoke with a hub driver from another terminal. Big E is the only trucking job he had. He's been here for years. I think seniority is seniority regardless of where and when you drive but what happens when these guys bid on one of those wimpy runs then that run gets cut or they go back to the old way of bidding next year. We are talking major separation from the men from the boys here. :biglaugh: I can't imagine the look on these guys faces headed up the east coast or comming home late turkey day morning.:17: We already have a dayshift transfer that thought our extraboarders only run south. This guy catches the swine flu nearly everytime he has to run north. He had his wife call another driver to have him call central for him to say he was too sick to call.:puke:

I totally agree,mildew..All think that Linehaul is a prestigious and glorious job..None of them think about what we have to put up with..Bad weather,no rest,cranky dispatcher,etc...Nothing gets in my craw worse than hearing a driver complain about where he has to go or why he was the chosen one to do it..You signed on as a driver. Drive,do your job and go home..That's all Estes wants from the driver..If it's Friday night and they throw you a curve and you're not going to make it home,big deal..You're working,you have a job..They pay us well..Grin,bare it and be satisfied..Cause that TM has about 50 applications in his office of people that would love to have our positions..

But that's just MY opinion..

if estes would have been doing it right from the beginning and not trying to screw a driver out of a nickle, we would not be having this discussion right now.

In regards to surveys would not it be a good idea to have surveys on many other things than just rebidding. Everyone knows there was a reason why this was done last year but know one could ever give a concrete answer to this. I like everyone else that works here should be fortunate that we work for a debt free company or we are told so anyway. Estes Express in suppose to be a family oriented company but how do they say this when they do not get input from drivers thru surveys company wide. It has always been what is convenient for estes at the time. I aim not trashing estes by no means but input should start from the bottom up not the top down.

I worked for Skyway Freight Systems back in the day. This is exactly how they got input. They were well aware that the drivers were number one. They knew! It was a trucking company RUN by truck drivers. There was incentive to move from the road into management. It was pretty much flawless. The 43 year old owner sold out to Union Pacific, and it crashed.

I totally agree,mildew..All think that Linehaul is a prestigious and glorious job..None of them think about what we have to put up with..Bad weather,no rest,cranky dispatcher,etc...Nothing gets in my craw worse than hearing a driver complain about where he has to go or why he was the chosen one to do it..You signed on as a driver. Drive,do your job and go home..That's all Estes wants from the driver..If it's Friday night and they throw you a curve and you're not going to make it home,big deal..You're working,you have a job..They pay us well..Grin,bare it and be satisfied..Cause that TM has about 50 applications in his office of people that would love to have our positions..

But that's just MY opinion..

I hear ya.. Big difference in those who been here forever and had a gravy run and those those who came from the real world.