ODFL | Switcher's

Your the one that put it out there, now lets have a history lesson.

*you're, but I digress. As for history lessons, get a library card. I'll leave this forum for BillyLo, lawn mower, and goat speak, since I've been accused of trolling over my founding fathers comment.

DzsHQXt.jpg

We don’t bothering you at FedEx Or whatever less superior company you working for. Go cry off

Calm down snowflake. I said I wouldn't post here anymore. I didn't realize you'd all get triggered so easily if someone else joined your sandbox.

The wording of the old OT exemption law stated something along the lines of any employee who is essential to the loading/unloading or delivering of freight is exempt from receiving overtime.
OD supposedly lost a lawsuit against a former switcher who argued that because he never worked the dock, never delivered any freight, and was only responsible for moving trailers around private property that he was entitled to overtime.
OD’s response to this was to make the switchers work the dock one day a week.
-to answer your question more directly this is what a switcher told me he was told as to why he has to work the dock now

There was a thread awhile back where some members here were excited over this lawsuit saying it was just the bump the company needed to start paying overtime. I told you all then OD is a huge corporation with a lot of weight to throw around and if we bent over for little stuff like that we’d go out of business.
I understand being excited because you saw this lawsuit as a step towards overtime but now there’s still no overtime and all the switchers and dock hands are pissed off on top of it all. Sometimes it’s better to keep your mouth shut, things were better the way they were.

OD does not pay overtime. Twist their arm into paying it and they’ll twist yours back. This is the way things are here.
“Never attempt to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig”

Didn’t some of you just roast one of our new employees for not asking questions about his pay in his interview?
Well, you all knew there was no overtime when you got hired and if you didn’t you can refer back to that thread to see how you should treat yourselves.
First off, nobody roasted him. I'm pretty sure you're referring to my comment so I'll take a shot at this. Blindly signing up for something is far different then wanting change. Unlike the "new guy" I did ask and was fully aware of what I was singing up for,point taken. Wanting to create change to keep up with the competition is a totally different scenario. OD's gone from a little mom and pop to a major player in the ltl. With that growth and progress comes higher expectations from customers and employees alike. This fear mongering about going out of business if they pay overtime is just idiotic. I'm sure the share holders would just love that strategy. Thanks for investing your millions fellas but some city driver in podunk Kansas wants an extra $15 bucks to work his tenth hour on the job, I say we show him and shut this place down!! Give me a break.

First off, nobody roasted him. I'm pretty sure you're referring to my comment so I'll take a shot at this. Blindly signing up for something is far different then wanting change. Unlike the "new guy" I did ask and was fully aware of what I was singing up for,point taken. Wanting to create change to keep up with the competition is a totally different scenario. OD's gone from a little mom and pop to a major player in the ltl. With that growth and progress comes higher expectations from customers and employees alike. This fear mongering about going out of business if they pay overtime is just idiotic. I'm sure the share holders would just love that strategy. Thanks for investing your millions fellas but some city driver in podunk Kansas wants an extra $15 bucks to work his tenth hour on the job, I say we show him and shut this place down!! Give me a break.
I beg your pardon.That’s Pohdunk, Kansas.

:6788:

Reactions: Ump
Spoken like a true Pohdunkian. Or is it Pohdunkette? I heard they have a annual celebration there. They have the, “Whodunk the Pohdunk Parade.” It goes down Hodunk Ave.

Other day you upset at the world, today you joking with the common folk

I wasn’t referring to them paying OT when I mentioned going out of business.
I was referring to any corporation giving way to lawsuits without a fight in that regard.
We all know they could afford to pay overtime right now, what none of us know is if it’s sustainable with our long term plan for growth yet.
My point was not that any one of us doesn’t deserve overtime or that we shouldn’t applaud progress towards improvements among our entire industry.
Simply put, dogging on your company and being a bitter employee by treating fellow employees poorly (new or old), stealing time because you feel entitled to compensation that was not agreed upon when you accepted your offer, and progressively driving morale down while whining about “greedy rich executives” not appreciating their hardworking employees is not respectable behavior that any of those executives would deem worthy of a substantial raise. Our executives work hard too, many likely putting in just as many hours as us some weeks.
I applaud everyone’s hard work to get this company to the place it is today, white or blue collar.
I’m not accusing anyone of anything, I just believe there’s a better way than taking out your frustrations on fellow employees, executives, and shareholders.

You spoke down to that driver like only dispatch at Swift would know how.
We are all on the same team, we all want the company and it’s employees to succeed, and it rubbed me the wrong way to see a driver treating a fellow driver that way especially from the same company.
Perhaps it was a misunderstanding.

Yeah, you can say that, you have a goat farm to fall back on, goat milk, goat cheese, who you kidden?

I wasn’t referring to them paying OT when I mentioned going out of business.
I was referring to any corporation giving way to lawsuits without a fight in that regard.
We all know they could afford to pay overtime right now, what none of us know is if it’s sustainable with our long term plan for growth yet.
My point was not that any one of us doesn’t deserve overtime or that we shouldn’t applaud progress towards improvements among our entire industry.
Simply put, dogging on your company and being a bitter employee by treating fellow employees poorly (new or old), stealing time because you feel entitled to compensation that was not agreed upon when you accepted your offer, and progressively driving morale down while whining about “greedy rich executives” not appreciating their hardworking employees is not respectable behavior that any of those executives would deem worthy of a substantial raise. Our executives work hard too, many likely putting in just as many hours as us some weeks.
I applaud everyone’s hard work to get this company to the place it is today, white or blue collar.
I’m not accusing anyone of anything, I just believe there’s a better way than taking out your frustrations on fellow employees, executives, and shareholders.

You spoke down to that driver like only dispatch at Swift would know how.
We are all on the same team, we all want the company and it’s employees to succeed, and it rubbed me the wrong way to see a driver treating a fellow driver that way especially from the same company.
Perhaps it was a misunderstanding.
This was a better explanation then your first post. And I agree with most of it. I have an issue with it being assumed that those of us who do speak up are somehow ungrateful or are implying that OD is a bad job. I don't see how wanting city drivers to get paid what they should can be taken as being disgruntled about or with OD. I can only speak for myself here, I've never once have begrudge the executive's of OD the money they make. If I truly thought they didn't give a damn about us I wouldn't be working here. Plain and simple!!

As far as the other point you brought up, go back and read my first line to the new hire. The questions I asked him were fair. I only gave him a smart ass comment after hie got snarky with me. I knew it was going to lose something in translation, like most written statements do. I'm willing to help anyone, but I'm not going to do it for you. All that information should have been given to him at orientation. So someone dropped the ball or didn't pay attention.. From his attitude I'm comfortable with my conclusion.