ODFL | Switcher's

Oh please lets have a history lesson.
I wanna a history lesson in how not to care about yard jockeys & wages. I do want to hear the cussin & screaming when after hooking the set they come to find a massive air leak in the air lines on the gear, thereby having to break the set & re hook it to a good gear. As the Beach Boy's sang 'and we will have fun fun fun till the air line brakes'.von. PS I am bored.

I wasn’t referring to them paying OT when I mentioned going out of business.
I was referring to any corporation giving way to lawsuits without a fight in that regard.
We all know they could afford to pay overtime right now, what none of us know is if it’s sustainable with our long term plan for growth yet.
My point was not that any one of us doesn’t deserve overtime or that we shouldn’t applaud progress towards improvements among our entire industry.
Simply put, dogging on your company and being a bitter employee by treating fellow employees poorly (new or old), stealing time because you feel entitled to compensation that was not agreed upon when you accepted your offer, and progressively driving morale down while whining about “greedy rich executives” not appreciating their hardworking employees is not respectable behavior that any of those executives would deem worthy of a substantial raise. Our executives work hard too, many likely putting in just as many hours as us some weeks.
I applaud everyone’s hard work to get this company to the place it is today, white or blue collar.
I’m not accusing anyone of anything, I just believe there’s a better way than taking out your frustrations on fellow employees, executives, and shareholders.

You spoke down to that driver like only dispatch at Swift would know how.
We are all on the same team, we all want the company and it’s employees to succeed, and it rubbed me the wrong way to see a driver treating a fellow driver that way especially from the same company.
Perhaps it was a misunderstanding.

I'm going to come to UMP's defense here, I am very critical of OD. I believe we should be paid more, but if you read my posts, specifically the ones when we were being groomed for the union, you would see that I immediately came to OD's defense. We do work for the best LTL company, but that does not mean that corporate can become complacent.

I wanna a history lesson in how not to care about yard jockeys & wages. I do want to hear the cussin & screaming when after hooking the set they come to find a massive air leak in the air lines on the gear, thereby having to break the set & re hook it to a good gear. As the Beach Boy's sang 'and we will have fun fun fun till the air line brakes'.von. PS I am bored.

Surely you jest.... never in the history of trucking have I ever heard of a piece of defective equipment.

I'm going to come to UMP's defense here, I am very critical of OD. I believe we should be paid more, but if you read my posts, specifically the ones when we were being groomed for the union, you would see that I immediately came to OD's defense. We do work for the best LTL company, but that does not mean that corporate can become complacent.
You may want to rethink that "best", OD will never be in the class with Coop Dispatch.

He’s a little miffed that he didn’t pass the Boardwalk test....but ol Song knows the difference between 13’6” of trailer and a 12’ underpass.
http://livetrucking.com/top-peeled-...er-driver-forgoes-signs-for-gps-instructions/
Niagara Falls,NY.(AP) Truck driver trainee following dispatch instructions hits viaduct. A driver from Coop Dispatch,Cedar Rapids,IA, said he was following his GPS, per his dispatchers instruction and did not pass his driving test.

How would you all propose initiating OT? It's my understanding you get few bucks more per hour (vs the competition) in lieu of OT & at the 50 hour mark you come out ahead. Would everyone forgo the annual raise for a couple years to then get OT? Food for thought.

http://livetrucking.com/top-peeled-...er-driver-forgoes-signs-for-gps-instructions/
Niagara Falls,NY.(AP) Truck driver trainee following dispatch instructions hits viaduct. A driver from Coop Dispatch,Cedar Rapids,IA, said he was following his GPS, per his dispatchers instruction and did not pass his driving test.
Wait a dam minute. The driver should have been hired and the dispatcher terminated. The driver was following & performing his assigned duties given to him by the dispatcher. There fore he was protecting his future job. If Coop Dispatch is a Union company, then his BA & Local President should show up @ the dock, instruct the dock workers to write up all the freight being loaded or unloaded as DAMAGED / OS&D until the driver is hired with back wages awarded until his official hire date, a written apology, & a Hog Roast & the bottom of the dock ramp. With PDA's crashing all the time, the slow down should have a direct & immediate threat to operations. Furthermore all conversations between management & rank & file shall be recorded in 108o I video with Dolby surround sound, just to prove how FUBAR management really is. And no 30 day probation period. Immediate hire letter from the day the driver went to the haircut bridge. Any delay from the company in hiring the new driver aka ( Flattop ) shall result in a dress code allowing flip flops, cut off shorts, and tank tops. Soft toe sneakers optional. von.

How would you all propose initiating OT? It's my understanding you get few bucks more per hour (vs the competition) in lieu of OT & at the 50 hour mark you come out ahead. Would everyone forgo the annual raise for a couple years to then get OT? Food for thought.

Why would we forgo a raise? Our operating ratio is insanely low. Maybe cut the annual raise in half for a year or so to ease the “pain” and create a stone cold lock of loyalty with the rank and file, and all your metrics will go up. Productivity, damage control, customer service. Competition couldn’t touch us, even more so than now.

Well, since we are asking rhetorical questions...

The whole argument that "If you work 60 hours with no OT, you will make more money than if you got OT but were sent home after 43 hours" is based on an assumption that everyone wants to work as many hours as DOT regulations would allow them to work. That's not true for everyone. But dispatch makes drivers work as much as they can. So since OD pays 9 hours per day of vacation, how about I work 9 plus my 30 minute break and then I get to choose if I want to go home or keep working, since it doesn't pay extra. Fair enough?

Why would we forgo a raise? Our operating ratio is insanely low. Maybe cut the annual raise in half for a year or so to ease the “pain” and create a stone cold lock of loyalty with the rank and file, and all your metrics will go up. Productivity, damage control, customer service. Competition couldn’t touch us, even more so than now.
Beating a dead horse Song... Record profits... record OR and we still need to give money back for OD to do the right thing?!? Until P&D drivers start waking out the door for other opportunities this company has no reason to change. It's really a brilliant business plan, get people to actually think they'll make more by not making more... Pure genius!!

Well, since we are asking rhetorical questions...

The whole argument that "If you work 60 hours with no OT, you will make more money than if you got OT but were sent home after 43 hours" is based on an assumption that everyone wants to work as many hours as DOT regulations would allow them to work. That's not true for everyone. But dispatch makes drivers work as much as they can. So since OD pays 9 hours per day of vacation, how about I work 9 plus my 30 minute break and then I get to choose if I want to go home or keep working, since it doesn't pay extra. Fair enough?

At my terminal they try as best they can to accommodate P&D drivers wishes, some want 8 and skate and some want 14 hours. They do try to do what they can, doesn't always work but most of the time it does.