Sysco In Denver Colorado.

theruiner

TB Lurker
Credits
I was trying to get a job with Sysco Denver location. So i was wondering if anyone had some input on this location. I already talked to the Transportation manager. He gave a lot of worst case scenarios about covering routes in the beginning . And now that they are merging with US foods he has no idea how long it will take to get a route. Which I expected.
Also I heard a few bad things from other guys who's (friends) work there. Supposedly the warehouse guys just had a mini strike and all walked out. So I don't know who or what to believe.
I would have to commute about 60 miles each way till I got a place closer. The place I live in is all about the military here. (No disrespect to any military, thanks for your service guys.) There just no jobs that pay, down here. Example: A trash company down here was offering 16.00Hr for 5 years experience to start. In Denver the same company starts at 18.50 to 19.50 to start. You just run back and forth to the landfill. Not a bad gig, I did it before. I know about cost of living non sense. The only difference is housing cost, down here. Everything else cost the same, food, gas,cable, etc etc. Just hoping to some real insight before I uproot my kids and life. We have been through a lot this year. Thanks brothers and sisters.

Welcome aboard the TB train Brother! I assume you know what the work is like, very physical blah blah blah, as for the merger, we haven't even been told if its approved yet, none of us knows what is going to happen, will it be bad or good? No one knows, I figure it will be a cluster, only being good for those executives at the top that are gonna get paid!

I will tell you this, I had an opportunity come up doing the same thing with a different company, same pay but more of a life and less cases, but in my gut something didn't feel right, so as of now I'm not even entertaining the idea. How does your gut feel about this?

All this merger crap makes things quite uncertain, some of us think this is the opportunity sysco will use to try and break the union, or pick and choose what drivers they like best, the possibilities are endless.

There is a ton of BS to put up with here, mgmt leaves something to be desired most days, I don't know if Denver is union but for the sake of you and anyone else that is thinking about joining up, I hope so, your gonna need it. Its been said that sysco is one of the worst labor violators in the nation, I really don't find that to be far fetched, I have fought to be payed correctly for the past 4.5 years.

All in all its a good job, but its with a giant monster corporation, and with that comes ill feelings of not being appreciated, most days I feel like I'm nothing more than a machine covered in skin, with little support. The job doesn't get me out of bed every day, my customers do!

If you feel good about the decision then go for it, just keep in mind that I'm a little jaded, we got alot going on here right now, one thing I can tell you is that I'm not sorry I got hired here, I have worked for fedex freight, they were worse than sysco as far as treatment goes, Denver is a different OPCO, some are better than others, I wish someone from Denver would chime in, that would be helpful to you, or maybe you can catch one at a stop somewhere and ask for the straight scoop!

Thanks GT for the welcome. I am glad I am in a place where people recognize brotherhood. There is a huge shortage of that where I work now.

Yes I am very aware of what the work is like. I actually miss the physical end of some jobs. I worked for UPS in the L.A. area for about 12 years before moving to Colorado. So I totally understand the big corporation side of things. At least I had a couple sups that recognized safety and tried to get us bar-b-ques and things like that. Just like you, my favorite part of the job was my customers. They truly made my day worth all the BS. Then I got to run trash out here which was a lot of fun. No need to be careful with the product haha.

The shop in Denver is union which I hope is good. I have been a Teamster for about 14 1/2 years and still am. In this state the unions aren't as strong as Cali. We just had our contract redone, and we got screwed BAD!! First they delayed negotiations from April 2014 till Sept 2014, without a vote. Then the union rolled over after one day of negotiations and took no raise for two years. Bot we got 10 cents more in our pension. Oh wait our health benefits will go up over $50 a month in a year. Wow thanks .After the contract went through we lost 3 guys in 3 weeks, when we were already under staffed. They have been contracting out our routes to another company. Which I'm not sure how that works, being union and all. I don't even think they are union guys. I guess people were so worried about the company closing the plant they took what ever they could get. Don't get me wrong I don't want people to lose their jobs, me included. It's just hard when the people pulling orders, make 20 cents less an hour than a driver with a CDL. They can get high before they come in, take 50 smoke breaks a day and load our trucks like 2 years olds. While we are out in the weather, traffic, and dealing with some of the rudest receivers I've ever meet. And I am from L.A. Plus I am so tired of hearing cut down your OT to only 2 hours a week. Which I did. To have them cut a run off my route, which took 3 hours away a week. Translation, I'm not hitting any OT. The hard part is I was already struggling and offered to work as much as I could. And they deny me. I don't milk the clock at all, hell I don't even take a lunch unless I am waiting for a door. Even then I am sitting in my rig.

Don't mean to sound like I'm crying. Just tired of not being able to feed my kids. Thanks again for all your insight. I really appreciate it. I feel good about going for it. Just worried about the moving thing. But that's another story.

Hey can I ask around how much do you guys average a year out there. I'd tell you but I don't want you to feel sad for me haha. Also what kind of physicals do them make you do? I know some kind of physical abilities, and is it just a basic dot physical?

I hope anyone from Denver has some input as well. Thanks again bro.

Hey Brother! We are soon to be 21.00 an hr, we used to get payed ABC, now they call it DIP, driver incentive pay, they cut it so far to the bone that all of us are nothing more than hourly guys, thats fine with me, I like it better that way.

As for the physical, its a regular DOT, then a strength test, but its nothing you can't handle! I should just go ahead and say welcome aboard, with your background they will snatch you up quick!!!!

We here in the foodservice forums are all about helping each other, so if you have a question then fire away, between all of us there is a ton of experience on here, not all from sysco, the members come from all different companies doing the same thing.

I'm really glad to have you here, you have found a new home Brother!!!!