Sysco using purchase transport?

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
I heard around Baltimore area Sysco is using another company to pull there shuttle runs? Is Sysco getting rid of there shuttle bid and out sourcing it to someone who they can pay next to nothing to do the work?

Haven't heard anything here yet, but wouldn't surprise me in the least
There not doing it here in Cleveland either, but I heard in Baltimore some purchase transport is doing shuttle runs. Could that be, because they can't find or hold on to people to work there because of there own policies?

Are Sysco's shuttle runs even profitable enough for another company to do? I mean and then Sysco's not utilizing all there own equipment, are you guys still doing your own shuttle runs?

I thought most Sysco's still did there own shuttles, I know Sysco doesn't have the extensive drop lot network that GFS has, but I know you guys still have a handful of drop lots that your warehouse services. Do your shuttles originate from the drop lot or from the warehouse?

Our shuttles originate from the yards and we have 1 for our opco. They are payed by the hour.
Grocery Thrower wasn't he a shuttle driver 95% of the time out of a drop lot in Oklahoma? I know he went back and fourth one bid he was on shuttle next bid he was on delivery then back to shuttle. I miss that guy.

I got an idea for Sysco since everyone is a huge liability to them why don't they just contract everything out to JB Hunt and Ryder. Easy peasy. Give some to JB and what they can't handle give the rest to Ryder and Sysco can sell off all there equipment and everything and be totally done with it. JB does Marco's Pizza here in Ohio Sofo foods out of Toledo used to do Marco's, but then Marco's I guess got kind of big, bigger then you would think they are started up there own commissary decided they had no interest in getting into the trucking business and just let JB do it all.

That shuttle is from sysco eastern md out of pocomoke city md wayy down the shore take a look. That's the warehouse I use to work for a very large and profitable sysco . They eliminatedon't their shuttle runs maybe 8 year ago, to be more profitable. They had shuttle drivers making 80 to 90k. They use to throw around money like crazy at that sysco when it was run by the Lankfords which are from pocomoke.

It was once called lankford-sysco until corporate took over everything. There is actually Lankfords working at corporate sysco still do this day they were a very powerful family and ran most of the East cost taking business from many of the sysco houses on East coast. I know it's a long story lol but can be very interesting. Anyway they still have quite a bit of shuttle yards and still do quite a bit of business in other sysco territory, heck I was driving 10 hrs to Buffalo and Niagara Falls NY and 8 hrs to Boston doing stops lol.

Anyway yes they now use a company called dedicated transport to pull their shuttle which they have a couple yards in Baltimore area which is about 2 or more hrs from the. I believe dedicated is headquartered somewhere in Ohio mike.

Dedicated is headquartered here in Cleveland, they do work for Shilo Steel and others see there trucks quite a bit.

That shuttle is from sysco eastern md out of pocomoke city md wayy down the shore take a look. That's the warehouse I use to work for a very large and profitable sysco . They eliminatedon't their shuttle runs maybe 8 year ago, to be more profitable. They had shuttle drivers making 80 to 90k. They use to throw around money like crazy at that sysco when it was run by the Lankfords which are from pocomoke.

It was once called lankford-sysco until corporate took over everything. There is actually Lankfords working at corporate sysco still do this day they were a very powerful family and ran most of the East cost taking business from many of the sysco houses on East coast. I know it's a long story lol but can be very interesting. Anyway they still have quite a bit of shuttle yards and still do quite a bit of business in other sysco territory, heck I was driving 10 hrs to Buffalo and Niagara Falls NY and 8 hrs to Boston doing stops lol.

Anyway yes they now use a company called dedicated transport to pull their shuttle which they have a couple yards in Baltimore area which is about 2 or more hrs from the. I believe dedicated is headquartered somewhere in Ohio mike.
Sysco Lincoln (used to be Pegler/Sysco) is the same way. They do business in 4-5 other Sysco location's territories. As much as corporate focuses on saving $$$ I never understood how they let this happen when the other houses could take the business

Were there Sysco Franchises? I understand setting up a warehouse as it's own thing, but like Pegler/Sysco did the Peglers buy into the Sysco system?

Most of the Sysco houses were stand alone companies before joining/being bought by Sysco.
KC was Mid-Central Food services, then was known as Mid-Central/Sysco eventually renamed Sysco KC.
Lincoln was Pegler Food Service, then Pegler/Sysco after joining Sysco eventually renamed Sysco Lincoln.
Robert-Orr, Lankford, several others the same way.

Most of the Sysco houses were stand alone companies before joining/being bought by Sysco.
KC was Mid-Central Food services, then was known as Mid-Central/Sysco eventually renamed Sysco KC.
Lincoln was Pegler Food Service, then Pegler/Sysco after joining Sysco eventually renamed Sysco Lincoln.
Robert-Orr, Lankford, several others the same way.

Gordon's bought out some as well like Glaziers down south and Henry Lee in Florida, Z probably knows Perkins in Boston. Then Neate-Roller in Toronto, Canada and Distal in Montreal, Quibec so yeah it happens.

I know US Foods has bought out many as well.