XPO | Takeover ?

my, my, my...wow..that's funny...being a 30 plus vet of Aye Bee Ffuh, this is just too much!!!
Well being a former CFCC guy I'm amazed you guys were setting up treadmills and mattress sets(see above posts) but anything possible and as I said, I didn't make the claim.

It sounds like you are describing what truckdrivers do as a , as a , skill , a trade , a SKILL TRADE of some sort...but , noooooooo , anyone can do it , right?!?!
I remember arguing with Highspeeds about driving truck being a skilled trade. I think I started a survey thread about it. That was years ago and my opinion has not changed. Being a safe, professional, CDL truck driver is ABSOLUTELY a skilled trade.

It sounds like you are describing what truckdrivers do as a , as a , skill , a trade , a SKILL TRADE of some sort...but , noooooooo , anyone can do it , right?!?!

True story. Just about anyone can do it. Just about anyone can be a plumber too. That don't mean you'll be impressed with results. It does take some knowledge. But it's mostly experience. And understanding what tools are needed for which job.

But that's not the real issue here. It isn't that the trucker or the plumber are uneducated. Let's say they go to school. Take a few business courses. Learn some accounting. Marketing. Or graphic design. Those skills could make their enterprise more valuable. With a more interesting website. Or better advertising. Perhaps reduced costs or expenses. The point is, they are still a plumber or a trucker. They don't just all at once decide that they are now a CPA and abandon their previous business entirely. Without the initial function of being a trucker or a plumber to market for sale. The rest of it is useless. And in order to best market that skill/trade/effort it's very important that they be very proficient at that task specifically. All the accounting, marketing and design in the world won't cover up paying for something and not receiving that service.

And this is where these companies go wrong. They no longer prioritize being proficient at handling and moving freight.

I remember arguing with Highspeeds about driving truck being a skilled trade. I think I started a survey thread about it. That was years ago and my opinion has not changed. Being a safe, professional, CDL truck driver is ABSOLUTELY a skilled trade.

The problem is that the people who employ truckers don't consider it a skill or a trade.

I guess the thread is to old. Couldn't find it. I remember it though.

I have debated many things on this site. Sometimes just to hear the argument. But I do recall this exchange. And contend that there are few, if not no, skilled trades where someone can take a 6 week course and be considered competent.

Of course. That newbie will not be nearly as capable as some one with years of experience. But these companies don't value our capabilities. They feel it can all be replaced with artificial intelligence.

There is a shortage. And wages ain't going up. What does that tell you ? It's pretty clear. We lack value.

Read up in stock buybacks and how they harm the working class and help the upper echelon. Stock buybacks were illegal until 1982.

You’re just copy-pasting Democrat talking points. Share buybacks are how companies return profits to investors - which are people like you and me in our 401Ks (the, uh, “upper echelon” (LOL!)

The alternative is dividends, which are highly taxed. Thank God buybacks were fixed in 1982, otherwise there’d be higher taxes and your retirement would be farther in the future.

You’re just copy-pasting Democrat talking points. Share buybacks are how companies return profits to investors - which are people like you and me in our 401Ks (the, uh, “upper echelon” (LOL!)

The alternative is dividends, which are highly taxed. Thank God buybacks were fixed in 1982, otherwise there’d be higher taxes and your retirement would be farther in the future.
Not a talking point. There seems to be a correlation between wage ( and benefits ) stagnation and stock buybacks.

You are correct that in a small part through various retirement plans ( pensions , 401ks , IRAs , etc..) that money goes back to the working class. But take a look at reinvestment into companies ( and their employees ) and see where those buybacks go.

At this company , XPO , please tell me how it has benefited you to have stock buybacks the last few months. Off the top of my head I think these buybacks nearly total the price paid for Con-way/Menlo just a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong , these buybacks benefit people , they just benefit a specific group of people more than others.

Let me refrase that at our terminal there is no office staff being hired. They layed off a clerk last week. There is a freeze on anymore hiring of office staff for now at our terminal.

At my barn they fired the office girl 2 months ago for no reason , this week they layed off the bottom guy after asking by seniority for a voluntary lay off . Has anyone heard of the company closing or threatening to close a terminal ?

And then they replace the experienced upper management with yes men that are only worried about reports and data. Customers are subjected to worse service because it’s more important to “ feed the beast “, “ reduce empty miles “, “ cube out the trailer “, “ load out the trailer “. Or whatever else they come up with to call it next. And then service failures go up and damages go up and they are just all confused. Why don’t these “ new “ ideas work better than tried and true past practices ?
This is common for publicly traded companies. Sooner or later, everything revolves around stock price. Actual results no longer matter. What can be reported is the end game. Awhile ago someone over on ABF said it best, “We are a stock driven company that just happens to move freight” excuse the paraphrasing. Yes men/college kids are the best vehicle to fudge numbers as they don’t understand service or don’t care.

At my barn they fired the office girl 2 months ago for no reason , this week they layed off the bottom guy after asking by seniority for a voluntary lay off . Has anyone heard of the company closing or threatening to close a terminal ?

Right now, with everything we have heard in the news, I can only imagine what all is going on behind the curtain, that we haven't heard. They fired 30 sales execs. And terminals are losing staff and freight is being rerouted and/or subbed out. There likely isn't anything that isn't on the table right now. Jacobs isn't in the frying pan any more. He's in the fire. ::shit:: or get off the pot time.

All I hear is something about a 89cent raise in June?

TM told us we would get 84 cents. Sounds like mileage will be right at 68 cents. Which we were all surprised by. Most everyone expected nothing. Moral is not good. So many people left the last few years and they are doing very well. And with the way people stay in touch with the facebook and everything now a days. It's an easy in for these companies that are begging for drivers. Hey, I got a buddy back where I used to work. But he don't like losing his vacation.... tell him he can start with 2 weeks. Had another 15 year guy quit on Monday.

Here's the problem for a company like this. If it all pays the same. And all the more you can offer is that paycheck. What's the motivation for someone to stick it out with you ? Why work the dock and do residential deliveries and deal with cameras ? When it all pays the same.