XPO | Takeover ?

Nobody with skin in this game is going anywhere....even if we are bought again. They will ride the ship down with a life preserver on and float til the next freight boat comes by.

Exactly right. I'll be here until the end. And you'll see my hairy ass on some thread on some site, and maybe even this one, with all the other guys at my barn that are riding it out. We already have it planned. There is gonna be a big " class picture " of us all in front of the closed gates.

Then you should jump off the ship before it sinks. Maybe go into a career giving financial advice. There are ZERO senior drivers leaving my barn, NONE. You see what you see and I see what I see. The sky is definitely not falling.

Good for you guys. I say ride it out. But many have left over the years. And many more continue to leave. Some people can't risk staying. They got responsibilities. For those of us who are more or less just taking care of ourselves at this point in life. It's completely pointless to get another job until this one is taken away. Who knows. Maybe some crazy miracle will happen. You never really know. Until then. We read the advice columns from the analysts and hope for the best.

I think there's a huge difference between a takeover and a sellout. Conway folks wanted to sell Brad doesn't...if XPO were to be taken over by an outside group that saw potential to make serious money and was bought out from under Brad's feet...it would cost him serious money and ego points.
Getting the 800 pounds of gorilla of his back may be worth it??

Be nice to possibly keep some of what we still have left if we were bought out again. Lucky we all didn't have to REAPPLY after the last one.

I won't reapply. If this is over, then it's over. Good bye. Don't come to me with an application telling me I can have my job. If I can keep my job, what's the application for ?

I think we’re all getting a little ahead of ourselves. Slowdown and think how you can protect what you have .

Exactly. What can a union do to stop or change any of this ? YRC has been run as poorly as a business has ever been run. And these proposals have many screaming strike. What can we do ? To change things here ? That will change or accommodate for the past decisions ?

First buy back was $1 billion. It already happened. They sold bonds to fund it. They are scrapping up the money to attempt a second buyback. $1.5 billion.

They absorbed Menlo. And sold off truckload. Have nearly eliminated the trailer manufacturing. Estimates are that sale price for XPO LTL is at or around $1.8 billion, on the high side. With an OR of 89 at an operating income of $106 million. It will take over 15 years of sustained performance to pay off the purchase.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/xpo-logistics-sell-1-billion-145356203.html

https://www.logisticsmgmt.com/artic...strong_q4_and_full_year_2018_earnings_results
I don't know the 2018 numbers ( these are the most recent I could find ) but I was surprised to see XPO's numbers were up for 2017

0EzNAOB.jpg

"The cheap stock spurred Jacobs to redeploy resources. The company in December announced a $1 billion share-buyback program, which was exhausted by Feb. 4. Less than two weeks later, XPO adopted a new $1.5 billion repurchase plan. The company on Tuesday announced it would sell $1 billion in bonds, in part to fund buybacks"

From- Bloomberg

I asked about the buybacks because the Bloomberg article makes it seem as though both have already happened...$2.5 billion dollars is a LOT of money to burn up just to keep the stock price up.

Also , it equals the price of the Con-way ( minus the Truckload division that was sold )

Last edited:
There are two business models these days. Privately owned, you do what needs to be done to make money. Publicly traded, you do what needs to be done to manipulate (inflate) stock price.

There are two business models these days. Privately owned, you do what needs to be done to make money. Publicly traded, you do what needs to be done to manipulate (inflate) stock price.
Well the privately owned, like the former NEMF and Estes does not have to release a profit and loss statement every quarter. Were a publicly one does.
They both have there perks but when a private company is losing money they don't have to tell anyone or publish any report as we saw with NEMF

Well the privately owned, like the former NEMF and Estes does not have to release a profit and loss statement every quarter. Were a publicly one does.
They both have there perks but when a private company is losing money they don't have to tell anyone or publish any report as we saw with NEMF
NEMF said they were making money when the decision was made to close down...just not as much as someone wanted.

What is the grand total spent on stock buybacks for XPO over the last six months?

$2 billion? $3 or $4 billion?

The price for Menlo/Con-way/Con-way Truckload was $3 billion just a few years ago ( October 2015 )
Amazing that XPO can "invest" so much in stock buybacks.

Seems like the priority is to keep the stock price up - even if you have to pull that money out of the daily operations and maintenance of your asset heavy business ( former Con-way )
BINGO!!!

If they want to look appealing to investors, they should start with getting more freight into the system. Cost cutting is nice and all but revenue generation is better.
Xpo IS getting more freight in the south. They are underpricing us and fxf to do it, but they have taken some volume away in the last few months

Xpo IS getting more freight in the south. They are underpricing us and fxf to do it, but they have taken some volume away in the last few months
Does FedEx Freight pay overtime in the southern region ; after 8 and after 40? If so , wouldn't that automatically give XPO an advantage pricing wise over FedEx , UPSF , ABF and YRC companies?

Does FedEx Freight pay overtime in the southern region ; after 8 and after 40? If so , wouldn't that automatically give XPO an advantage pricing wise over FedEx , UPSF , ABF and YRC companies?
Yes and yes, but not over sefl who never pays OT no matter the number of hours worked.

Yes and yes, but not over sefl who never pays OT no matter the number of hours worked.
Upsf, yrc, abf and holland are not our main competition down here. Xpo, fxf, Estes, OD are the ones with market share here. The union carriers can’t compete with nons pricing so they mostly get 3 or 4 day freight which there isn’t much of.

I heard same thing no interest in it

There was only the daughter( who married Paul M. !) , the son passed away years ago. She was on the board and collected a check from NEMF-that's it. There were some other family but not high up. Their 2 biggest accounts were Amazon and Home depot, plus a lot of other retail.